Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Moral Kombat - Oh the humanity

What do you know, politicians getting in a fit about videogames. These are the same people that think controlling law abiding citizen's ownership of firearms actually reduces crime. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

And I seem to see that you all agree (from experience no doubt) that this is bullshit. Heh.

Well, take me for instance. I don't play anything other than first person shooters. Now, do I even wish that someone I don't like would just drop dead? Sure I do! Everybody does. Do I ever get so pissed off I want to smash something, or kick the shit out of someone, or take someone out? Hell yeah! The thing is, I've always had a bit of an anger issue, but my parents were good enough to teach me right from wrong, so I know not to channel these emotions into action (that, and I'd rather not be a prison bitch).

Now, some kids I went to school with that don't play videogames whose parents didn't give one shit about them, how did they turn out? Well, most of them are in prison right now. Point is, it's not the government's job to play big brother and hold our hand, and tell us what we can and can not do based on what they say is right and wrong. It's the parents' obligation to raise their child and teach them right from wrong, reality from fantasy (Which is why this pissed me off so much), and it's each of our own personal responsibility to act like good law abiding citizens and not act like a bunch of violent anarchists.

What gets me is the news media condemning violence in video games. It's some of the biggest hypocritical shit I've ever heard. The news media lives for catastrophic events; I guess it boosts their ratings or some shit like that.

You know what makes me want to stab something though? The fact that there was a fucking banner ad directly over the article. Instead, I'll just drink another beer, smoke another cigarette, and chill the fuck out.

On the terrorist related note, a long time ago in Sim City (I guess it was 3000, might of been 2000, it's been awhile) I put the WTC buildings (It might have have just been a tall building. I don't remember) in front of an airport, not really thinking about it, and lo and behold a plane hit it. I guess according to these fruits, now I want to go out and run a plane in the building. Fucking morons.

sargebaldy said:

Anyone who wants to ban violent video games but supported invading a country with tens of millions of people is a hypocrite.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, one political topic at a time. They're completely unrelated. Also, Germany had a lot of people living in it, as did Korea. Now invading a country is murder? Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I shouldn't have visited Canada without them asking me to!

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that those with power will try to regulate everything to the point that the only two legal things to do are sleep and work?

And at that point they will be working on getting maximum sleeping limits?

Johnatone said:

Well, take me for instance. I don't play anything other than first person shooters. Now, do I even wish that someone I don't like would just drop dead? Sure I do! Everybody does. Do I ever get so pissed off I want ... ..., or take someone out? Hell yeah!

Uhm, Hell no!

Johnatone said:

Now invading a country is murder? Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I shouldn't have visited Canada without them asking me to!

Uhm... Just FYI, that's not considered invading it.

deathbringer said:

Virtually all videogame forums, and the past 20 years or so seeing the first drop in literacy amongst school leavers (in Britian anyway). While old games required a lot of reading, now they all have voice acting in them even the ability to read is no longer required.

I wouldn't say video games no longer require people to read. Just play WoW for a while, and see all the text in that game (and pretty much no voice acting). You'd have to be literate to play it. Oh wait, I forgot about all the people wo go "HOW I MINE FOR FISH?" Nevermind. Seriously though, there are a lot of games that require reading (even GTA3 to a certain extent). I've noticed an interesting trend among games in recent years where they tell you "requires a basic understanding of English to play" right on the box.

Naked Snake said:

Uh, considering it's illegal to fire a gun in town, I think not. Yeah, I hunt small game, sometimes I shoot a squirrel. So what? My diet is a reflection of my intelligence?

You only hunt squirrels because you got greedy and shot all the buffalo. You loser

Oh yeah, and the obligatory PA strip:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070105.jpg

Johnatone said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, one political topic at a time. They're completely unrelated.

A) They are two things Lieberman is concerned with.

B) They both deal with the same subject (violence; fictional and actual).

C) If you're a politician who is to a degree compromised, you can perhaps pretend to be dealing with a subject even if you ignore critical causes (such as direct and genuine violence of certain types) if you can manage to make a case over some effects of those causes (such as cultural expressions related to the violent situation or context). Your case is going to get a bit easier to put together if you pick on any such expressions that unlike you, don't take a holier than thou attitude towards the idea of the issue (not so much the issue itself, because of you compromises, but at least the idea of it), censuring these at every fruitful opportunity. You can then make an image of yourself as a concerned citizen and patriotic man of state while not having to do any work that might endanger your career by pitting you against powerful interests that could easily cripple it, especially if you're really interested in that "plus" of popularity and power sharing that could come if you play along.

Oh really? I'm from Sweden so I ought to know this. Anyway back on topic. Violence has allways been a part of videogames. What about Super Mario who jumps on them poor turtles. Sonic who squishes robots with his superspin. That's also violence. I agree with your statement:

When it's fun the Terrorists wins.

9/11 video games. Video games 9/11 games of video. 9/11. Video 9 games /11.

So you see video games and 9/11 are actually very much intertwined, you heartless bastards.

jobro said:

Oh really? I'm from Sweden so I ought to know this.

It's a funny thing -- the guy you're arguing with about this is also from Sweden.

Since the dawn of time people have tried to blame the world's problems on scapegoats. This is why we have had prohibition, the catholic church, and here in Britain at least, myriad speed cameras on our roads.

And not once has it ever made a difference. Because people are either good people who don't go around killing people following a quick game of Doom, or they are bad people who do.

If you really want to make a difference Lieberman, ban people. Starting with you.

Outright banning is out of the question. But parents should take a more active role in what they deem is suitable for their children. I look at the games I used to play when I was 5 years old. Now I imagine the games I could be playing at that age today and it's a little frightening. All it took for me to develop my colorful vocabulary at that age was a couple R-rated movies.

Perhaps incorporating media literacy into the public school system wouldn't be a bad idea. They could cover everything from movies, music, video games, and retarded music videos. The sooner impressionable minds are properly educated, the better off society shall be as a whole.