Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

Ever realize you are screwed?

The map that I am working on has reached the point that each node-build takes about a minute. Since I save pretty much every few sectors this really slows down mapping (work for 30 seconds, hit save and wait for a minute, work for 30 seconds...). Anyway, I made another file with all of the resources and copied in three "seed sectors," which are basically two doors and a hallway that will attach to the new area.

I have a couple of weeks of work on this new file, 551 sectors and one room to go before I merge it back into the main map. I just realized that when I pasted in the seeds they were 32 units off on the X-Axis. Which means all of the flats are misaligned.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Well, I guess my mapping style may have actually saved me. I only had to change some lighting flats, which was easy I have altered some of the Doom lights to fit on the 32x32 grid (so I am not locked onto 64x64), and one small change of archtechtue (which you would be hard pressed to notice even if given a before and after snapshot). All in all it took me about ten minutes to fix.

I am now going to ALWAYS triple check the alignment of my seeds, I doubt I would be so lucky if it happened again.

When I made my map Phobia back in 2001, the nodebuilding took me 15 minutes each time. It took about a minute to just load the map in Doom Legacy.
So, please.

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about moments when you're playing a map, and suddenly realize you're about to get ass-raped.

kristus said:

When I made my map Phobia back in 2001, the nodebuilding took me 15 minutes each time. It took about a minute to just load the map in Doom Legacy.
So, please.

Well, its only about 20% complete. I think it may compete with Deus Vult for size when its done.

You can allways convert the map into a hub (assuming you're using G/Zdoom). Personaly I prefer that over giant maps (of course these are my own tastes).

I pretty much only work with Boom features. Also, I love huge levels.

I may follow Deus Vult's lead and have the full level as one map, and then break it up into smaller pieces for people who like playing smaller stuff.

I really hate HUBs because there is no intermission screen where I can see if I got all the secrets/items/kills. Most of the HUBs I played were very bad, very few did it right.

The Darkest Hour, Phocas Island 2, and Tei Tenga, have to be the worst I've played.

The HUBs that I liked were RTC Blue Hub and Daedalus.

Do as the pro's do. Split it up in to different wad files. Then go back and peice it together. Hell If I was smart Id use the prefab option more.

Extract the floor / ceiling textures that missaligns and reallign them in Wally. Can't be so hard. Yeah I know it is a painstriking work to map and discover this s***, but it takes just a couple of minutes to do this, then import the flats back into your map, select the inmerged sectors and do a replace (Ctrl+H in DB) search for sector flat with your floor and replace it with the new one. Then all you have to do is to open the map properties and specify the directory with your new flats, the rest should DB manage by loading in it.

When I made a large level long ago with WadAuthor (it wasn't too large though not to overflow the savegame buffer), in later stages I just turned off the node building while saving (WadAuthor messed up with nodes when the map became large, anyway) and used BSP when I wanted to load it in the game.

Dr. Zin said:

Did you two read the whole post?

welp, to my embaresment, no. I was going on the assumption that it was just taking a while to nodebuild. sorry... Anyways, after reading the post, if they are off by 32x32... could you not fix that by lengthening some sectors by 32. But by what your post said, it sounds like these parts are really interconnected. That makes it tough.

I duno, sounds messy... I wish you luck :P

And hopefully I read the whole post this time -_-

[edit] Oh, you allready fixed it. Blah. meh, ignore me. I dont have anything usefull to say in this thread.

udderdude said:

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about moments when you're playing a map, and suddenly realize you're about to get ass-raped.

Where do you play your Doom, in prison?

Antidote said:

I really hate HUBs because there is no intermission screen where I can see if I got all the secrets/items/kills. Most of the HUBs I played were very bad, very few did it right.

The Darkest Hour, Phocas Island 2, and Tei Tenga, have to be the worst I've played.

The HUBs that I liked were RTC Blue Hub and Daedalus.

uhm, no intermission screen? very bad? what?

The whole point of a HUB in a game is to have a huge area split into smaller areas for various reasons (mostly memory here). Quake II does this, Doom 3 does this, Strife does this, Hexen does this.

The reason "you" hate hubs is because you expect Doom to be linear. Level 1, level 2, etc. Hubs don't do that. hubs are the exact opposite of linear. As fast as doom is, having to stop for an intermission screen in a hub would be pointless imo.

Hubs... in "doom"... well, they're "new". As dumb as that sounds, doom was always one level after another, in arcade style play. Hexen, however, changed that. You could visit any area after you completed it if you wished, moving through different regions to solve puzzles. strife used a hub system for memory constraints/engine limitations/changes in plot (another map for the rebel base once it was invaded).

On another note, Don't most sourceports have items/secrets/kills/ already on the HUD or on the automap?

And I hated Daedalus with a passion. I couldn't take more than 10 minutes of that boring garbage.

Csonicgo said:
Hubs... in "doom"... well, they're "new". As dumb as that sounds, doom was always one level after another, in arcade style play. Hexen, however, changed that. You could visit any area after you completed it if you wished, moving through different regions to solve puzzles. strife used a hub system for memory constraints/engine limitations/changes in plot (another map for the rebel base once it was invaded).

I prefer DOOM for that, in addition to not having an inventory. I wouldn't mind playing some Hexen MultiPlayer occasionally, though, as it's very fitting for that sort of thing.

As for linearity; yes, DOOM goes from A to B, but compared to Hexen the lack of objectives (switches in the hubs that affect things here and there) it allows the individual maps to be as linear or open as the designer wishes. I guess you could do that to map in Hexen or a similar engine, but it's pertty much pointless because the idea is to create interconnections between the areas. In the end, the more advanced games are not less linear, they simply go for a design that is bit more interrelated (possibly allowing some sort of narrative or uniqueness of behavior in the areas), as opposed to the quick arcadey style in DOOM. Ingame tally counts aren't the same as tally screens as they don't provide a definite point for the score counting.

Dr. Zin said:

Did you two read the whole post?

Yes I did. And I applied a simple solution for the problem.

I made a Boom compatible hub in my scimitar 20-map wad, (it's in the archives, search it). 5 maps share the hub: the first map takes you in and in the next three you have to collect an orb until you have all three orbs, then you are let through into the fifth map. To make it boom compatible it's still linear - you dont get to choose the order you do them in - but i'm very pleased with how it worked out.

That last room took another 500 sectors, but it was worth it. The battle in it is the most intense I have ever created. I linked this section to the main map, time to start the next piece!