Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

DAC Demos?

I know there was talk about doing some demos for the Doom Advent Calender 2005. Did that ever happen?

I don't know of any others beyond those.

I'd guess that it didn't prove popular for recording for several reasons: never merged into a single wad, several compatibility issues (some "Zdoomisms", for instance) that were never resolved (or that would be difficult to resolve), and some maps that weren't very playable from a pistol start. Those issues would have made a demo pack at the very least fiddly to arrange.

That's not to say that more individual demos wouldn't be welcome, of course.

While DAC is being discussed, the current version of my DAC7 map in the archives has a bug that was fixed. Can I just upload the correct version with a note to Halderman to replace the current file?

Dr. Zin said:

While DAC is being discussed, the current version of my DAC7 map in the archives has a bug that was fixed. Can I just upload the correct version with a note to Halderman to replace the current file?

There is a line in the txt template "Update to". You should tell there which file is being updated.

Yeah Opulent did 13 and I did 11, 12 and 17. There's also a thread where Opulent, Grazza and Kristian tear 19 to pieces but that was a year before it became DAC19 so I don't know if that counts :)

I wanted to do more DAC demos e.g. 3, 15, 20, 24 but, well, you know how it is. You try to play maps aggressively enough to make a decent-looking demo but you keep dying. If you play defensively enough to beat the map, you end up with a demo that's too dull to watch.

PS Good to hear we're finally getting the fixed version of 7

Thanks for reminding me of those runs. :-)
(although I would rather not have been reminded of that unbelievably daft accidental automated strafe50 thing)

I played around with that speedvilla map again, and did:
UV reality max in 0:56
UV max in 0:51

A very pleasant and nostalgic session! :-D

RjY said:

PS Good to hear we're finally getting the fixed version of 7

Yeah, I didn't realize the Torn had sent the older version into the archives until recently.