Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Not Dead, Just Sleeping

I think that we may rely on the front page for news a little too often...

Just because there's no news (or Newstuff) doesn't mean there's no life on Doomworld. Whoever made that assumption simply can't see the bigger picture.

kristus said:

One way to boost the news on the frontpage however would be to start a ModDB service like the.. well, ModDB site.

Nobody ever has a problem starting mods though, thus the [newproject] tag.

Fusion said:

Wasn't Nightmare banned?

I don't know but the doom community doesn't only exist at Doomworld ;) There enough other places like ZDoom.org, DRDTeam.org and Newdoom.com do mention a few

i dunno, with the rate of new people signing up for this website i don't see doomworld ending any time soon.

if not at all.

it will waken in time, but we must be patient.

Bloodshedder said:

Replace "deathz0r" with "AlexMax" for the /newstuff that is due, and you have an accurate statement of the condition of things.

Yeah, my next /newstuff isn't until this upcoming Sunday.

deathz0r said:

Yeah, my next /newstuff isn't until this upcoming Sunday.

At this point I think you'll just have to do another double issue with AlexMax...except it will be more of a quadruple issue.

@Bloodsheeder:
You have my email and as you know i gladly help out with /ns, even if i am not that good at it.

Well, I'd be very glad to at least do guest reviews, but I'm pretty much a general newbie schmuck when it comes to this site. I've been lurking here, looking at the /newstuff and front page for a few years, but I've just bothered to register a forum account now.

I think a little explination is in order.

At the time, I was under the assumption that Ty had not gotten back from his trip, and had not bothered to check the database to see if it had updated. I found out a week or so later that in fact he HAD updated it, and that I had a boatload of WAD's to review. I decided to start knocking them out, but in desperatio, I decided to put in my reviews into the /newstuff maker directly instead of going from text file to /newstuff maker manually. Naturaly, the worst happened, and when I took a break, Opera shit a brick and I lost the WAD's I had done.

Days passed. WAD's piled up. My interest waned. I kept setting aside time to do /newstuff, but I found that my interest in doing /newstuff was fading, that I would rather spend what free time I had doing other things, such as playing Natural Selection.

So...what now? Well...after some soul searching, I've decided that the next newstuff contribution I do will be my last.

Why? Well, it's not fun anymore. I could be working on /newstuff RIGHT FREAKING NOW, knocking out a couple WAD's, but you know what, I just got done with a playthrough of Radiant Silvergun. Tonight I'm going out to dinner and I've got a class tomorrow morning at 8am. Now, these are all little things, but I'm finding that playing Doom has been the absolute last thing I've wanted to do recently when I get free time.

It's not just because I dropped the ball a few weeks ago with /newstuff. Really, it's more than that. I've realized that I've been IRCing it and messing around a little bit too much recently, and found that if I pulled myself away from it for a week (like I had been doing), that I found that I really didn't miss it. I no longer had to be pissed off when I heard what the latest dumb thing that the ZDaemon administration or Carnevil did to friends of Unidoom. I didn't have people bugging me to finish Odamex CTF, and I wasn't making promises to people about maps I'd do or tasks I'd do that I'd feel guilty about for not following through on. I shouldn't be thinking "Oh god, not this again." when someone private messages me about some random thing. I don't feel like playing doom anymore, I just don't give enough of a shit to be a semi-intergal part of the community anymore.

Pretty much all the fun in the Doom Community that I got previously from being in an awesome clan and dominating multiplayer is now ruined for one reason or another, thanks to complete fucking assholes. Odamex is a light at the end of the tunnel, but who knows when that's going to reach public hands, or if anyone will still care when it's released. Whatever. I'm done. Wake me up when I can play some fucking online doom without feeling like I'm walking on eggshells around people. I just want a vacation from the whole mess.

P.S. dean, AIM me, faygo

Dr. Zin said:

Um, it was you who overextended yourself.

There is no need for blaming. If he wants to leave for whatever reason, he can.

Anyone who is interested in doing /newstuff REGULARLY (that is, every two or three weeks), please contact me.

I can't do it regularly, but you could put me on a list of people to contact if you are in a pinch.

Dr. Zin said:

Um, it was you who overextended yourself.

You are correct. And now I'm un-overextending myself. :)

Yeah, I did the same thing to myself a few years back with a war-game I played. I dropped it for a while and ended up not really getting back into it (partly because the canon had moved forward and all of my materials were out of date).

Anyway, it sucks when a hobby becomes a job.

I'd say I could review, but I probably wouldn't be able to follow up too often. For one, I pretty much only play during the weekends, and I don't want to devote my WHOLE weekend to playing Doom, I have other things I'd rather do on the computer. Furthermore, I'd more or less be required to force legacy and EDGE to work on this computer, which they never seem to want to. And apparently, not everything runs correctly on GZDoom, much to my chagrin.

So, the news is:

that there IS an on-going community of people still passionate about this great game;

that new WADs ARE still being built and published (hey, I'm building my own first WAD, although if it ever gets published... heh, don't hold your breath);

that new people ARE coming to the game - although maybe just out of curiosity to see what kinds of "games" Gramps was playing - WTF, it's new blood ;-) Me: I started playing in '94 when I was 45, and I still rate it better than a whole load of newer games.

But I do like the idea that news of new wads, uploads, etc. get posted on the front page, since I'm one who usually just logs into the site for a few seconds to scan headlines.

Just my $0.02 worth anyway...

insertwackynamehere said:

My theory is that the newstuff will also host skullstuff and its a big secret that will be found out when the next newstuff comes out..

wow i'm sure glad i'm not an investor

Also, perhaps Doomworld should have a contingency forum in case something happens to us :P Like "we've been attacked! we have to regroup at site 2!" Imagine getting that message via email or AIM, and having to trek through the web to find it. Half the internet is in shambles and there are roadblocks set up at various ISP servers throughout the world, which you must hack through. Only then can you regroup at a rumored forum of survivors to retake the net from angry phone companies who worked with hackers to destroy everything! Holy shit that would be so much fun to stay up all night (or maybe two nights and days) doing that. Every hardcore internet goer, every major forum, and medium sized forum, and even smaller forums, every community, in a worldwide quest across a wasteland of whats left of the internet.. finding access keys to get onto certain IRC channels on the few servers that still exist.. small forums for replenishment, trying to take back a world destroyed. Oh man it may sound cheesy but you cannot deny that that would be REALLY FUCKING COOL! It would be like a Mad Max of the Internet, except real!

I recall frequently promising to be 'the last doomer left' and 'that guy who is still in the irc channel long after everyone else is gone'. Years later I went to college. Five minutes later I got laid. I think this might be the second or third time I've thought to reply to anything on the forums, and while someone has told me that there is 3D capability in doom and slopes and god only knows what else (though really I have no idea), I have not experienced any adulterated doom versions as the community has seen fit by sheer lack of sexual activity to produce for those times when you're very bored but masturbating has become painful in that bad way.

The moral of the story is that this community is naturally the bastion of virgins first and foremost. For the community to die there would need to be a much higher frequency of sexual action at a considerably lower average age. The internet, with myspace and facebook and wikis on how to please things anatomically and otherwise, may bring this terrifyingly apocalyptic scenario into the realm of the real, but until then I'm sure there will be an abundance of pubescent-for-all-intents-and-purposes boys to carry the torch of glorious monster clicking.

If any filthy little slut reaches for your cock, tell her you're saving yourself for Mordeth, and get back to your own TC that only needs sprites and textures and then it'll be done.

vera said:

I recall frequently promising to be 'the last doomer left' and 'that guy who is still in the irc channel long after everyone else is gone'. Years later I went to college. Five minutes later I got laid. I think this might be the second or third time I've thought to reply to anything on the forums, and while someone has told me that there is 3D capability in doom and slopes and god only knows what else (though really I have no idea), I have not experienced any adulterated doom versions as the community has seen fit by sheer lack of sexual activity to produce for those times when you're very bored but masturbating has become painful in that bad way.

The moral of the story is that this community is naturally the bastion of virgins first and foremost. For the community to die there would need to be a much higher frequency of sexual action at a considerably lower average age. The internet, with myspace and facebook and wikis on how to please things anatomically and otherwise, may bring this terrifyingly apocalyptic scenario into the realm of the real, but until then I'm sure there will be an abundance of pubescent-for-all-intents-and-purposes boys to carry the torch of glorious monster clicking.

If any filthy little slut reaches for your cock, tell her you're saving yourself for Mordeth, and get back to your own TC that only needs sprites and textures and then it'll be done.

rofl hay maybe next year i wont be here anymore :D everyone would like that :P sike I'm not leaving.. or so I say now

vera said:

I'd like to point out that while a vow of chastity is not strictly required to become involved with the Church of mewseCult(tm), it does seem very, very popular. I'd like to specifically address anyone interested in reaching their last days without experiencing the fleshly pleasures that surround us in our modern existence like so much ripe and low hanging fruit. If you fit this criteria, I'd be overjoyed to discuss things further with you after our Sunday service, and perhaps press upon you a sampling of flyers or brochures regarding this compelling and oft-scorned life decision.

Remember, the future is in your hands.

So this is what the world is coming to; someone managed to crossbreed katarhyne and aurikan. Congrats.

vera said:

WTF

I don't know what you are talking about, I honestly don't. You said some words, but I couldn't amalgamate them into a coherent opinion. Why don't you come closer so I can see you, lean over and repeat it?

chilvence said:

I don't know what you are talking about, I honestly don't. You said some words, but I couldn't amalgamate them into a coherent opinion. Why don't you come closer so I can see you, lean over and repeat it?

You'll understand when you're a little older =]