Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Monster Respawn Timer

How is the Monster Respawn timer calculated? Is it based on a pattern or calculation, or is it simply a random value between eight seconds and five minutes?

This is from the Mighty Quasar!

[Quasar`] it's a combination of a minimum wait time and a random rejection
[Quasar`] so for a certain number of tics, a monster absolutely will not respawn
[Quasar`] on any frame after that time, it has a certain chance of respawning IF its location is not blocked
[Quasar`] if its spawnspot is blocked it has to wait til the next random chance.

There you go!

So technically there is no upper limit for respawn time, even if the spot's never blocked?

And I wonder why Boom changed it so that monsters don't care if their spots are blocked or not. This can be pretty annoying when they respawn inside the player, or it sometimes it may get easier, when they stuck in one another this way. But either way, it's a bug.

Naked Snake said:

This is from the Mighty Quasar!

[Quasar`] it's a combination of a minimum wait time and a random rejection

COOL. And... how much is this minimum wait time? Or the rejection? Do I bug? (yes, I want to introduce this in other games, like Quake, by making it as accurate as possible)

Donce said:
And I wonder why Boom changed it so that monsters don't care if their spots are blocked or not. This can be pretty annoying when they respawn inside the player, or it sometimes it may get easier, when they stuck in one another this way. But either way, it's a bug.

Heh... I wasn't aware of this. Goes to show I don't use Boom or Boom compatibility much. Is it something rare? In any case, I don't recall many skill 5 or respawn demos using Boom, so maybe it's not a well known issue because most are normal speeds or maxes.

PS: Did the RAM Idle help with Doom? (I'm curious because I've the impression it's kind of mandatory using Doom on Windows 9x.)

myk said:
Heh... I wasn't aware of this. Goes to show I don't use Boom or Boom compatibility much. Is it something rare? In any case, I don't recall many skill 5 or respawn demos using Boom, so maybe it's not a well known issue because most are normal speeds or maxes.

Rare? Depends on how often you cross the respawn spots I guess :) If there are many small monsters, you kill' em all and run through their locations later, chances grow. I have recorded some number of demos in NM with Boom, and this happens relatively often. In one demo (it must be on DSDA, but can't remember which wad now) a demon respawned in another demon, they got stuck and that helped me reach the exit. I considered re-recording but didn't. I mentioned this in the accompanying textfile.

PS: Did the RAM Idle help with Doom? (I'm curious because I've the impression it's kind of mandatory using Doom on Windows 9x.)

Had little time to sit down and play, so only finished The Spire yet, but I'll let you know :)

I thought the lack-of-solidity-detection bug was instead introduced in a beta version of Eternity. Not Boom.

Again, where do I find the actual values?