Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zeroth

idgames db on cd

is there some way I can purchase the entire doomworld/idgames database on a dvd or something?

Better than that, you can get it for free.

Unless you have an extremely shitty connection you don't really need that, you can download what you want, and save the rest in the archives. Also the archives are updated weekly, your copy should be outdated probably the day after you get the copy.

Vegeta said:

Better than that, you can get it for free.

Unless you have an extremely shitty connection you don't really need that, you can download what you want, and save the rest in the archives. Also the archives are updated weekly, your copy should be outdated probably the day after you get the copy.

I'm aware, but I'm uncertain of how large it is and I don't wanna suck up an ungodly amount of bandwidth.

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now with all the talk of "is doomworld dieing?" I think nows a good time to ask :-)

Just ftp the lot, its not like you have to do it more than once. UNLESS YOUR DISK DIES, LIKE MINE DID.

Zeroth said:

and now with all the talk of "is doomworld dieing?" I think nows a good time to ask :-)

The files aren't hosted on Doomworld, so even if it were dying (and I don't think it is), you can still download the files at any time from any of the numerous mirrors.

Zeroth said:

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now with all the talk of "is doomworld dieing?" I think nows a good time to ask :-)

Oy vey

Zeroth said:

I'm not too worried; in the unlikely event of Doomworld's death, the archive itself won't be affected too much...

Just to give an idea of how much is there: I've been keeping a private mirror of idgames (except idstuff/ and themes/x-rated/) since 2001 (coincidentally less than a month before cdrom.com shut them out). Recently it's grown by about one CD-R a year, and almost have enough material for a seventh disc. All in all, given the two missing directory trees and that some files have certainly been updated or removed, at this particular moment it will probably fill exactly one DVD-R.

But like everyone else said, just get a good FTP client (that is, not the one in your web browser) and point it at one or more of the mirrors...

Why would you even want the entire archive?

I'm really not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious. I can't see a benefit to having the entire thing on your hard drive, especially since the vast majority of the stuff on there is shit.

several reasons.

Partially, if something happens to the archive, I'd regret not doing so.

More than anything I just like hoarding game files. I've got plenty of disk space and I like having massive amounts of mods/levels at my immediate disposal. I like to randomly select levels/mods every now and then to play for various games. of course Doom is my favorite :-)

CODOR said:

I've been keeping a private mirror of idgames (except idstuff/ and themes/x-rated/) since 2001 (coincidentally less than a month before cdrom.com shut them out).

to my calculation, 7 700mb CDs take up more space than will fit on a single 4.2gb dvd (the filesystem info takes up quite a bit of space). I'm donwloading some of it right now, but if you mail me a dvd with all of it on there, I'll paypal you 5 bucks :-)

Zeroth said:

Partially, if something happens to the archive, I'd regret not doing so.

There are several mirrors, so the archive does NOT have a single point of failure. Even if five mirrors and the main server died, there are others that still have all the files.

Danarchy said:

I'd still like to find eaket.wad. Not even the author has that. :(

planetphillip.com values itself as a place to host hard-to-find content for FPS games. check there, you might get lucky.

Zeroth said:

planetphilip.com values itself as a place to host hard-to-find content for FPS games. check there, you might get lucky.

Double "L" actually, and it focuses mostly on HL I think. There are a few Doom2 wads, but that's all.

Donce said:

Double "L" actually, and it focuses mostly on HL I think. There are a few Doom2 wads, but that's all.

double L. It focuses on "Scifi First Person Shooters". I've spoken with the guy on many occasions about helping him expand, but he isn't too interested in anything else. Though the file archive there may have more half-life stuff, there is some doom/quake/unreal/etc stuff at least. I haven't browsed it too much myself.

There is that nice fact that, once you've got the lot, you dont have the hassle of downloading stuff from it to have a look. I dont have alot of patience for crappy maps, but if they are already sitting on my hard drive, they havent caused me any effort to look at them.

I much rather use the Idgames arcive on DW to weed through the stuff rather than download it all and weed through a DVD rom worth of 10k-50mb size zip files.

Well, heres one way, order the entire archive by size. Now you have all the awesome nuggets in your hand.