Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

Something new (alternate secret exit E3M6)

It always amazes me how a thirteen year old game can still surprise you. I don't know if this was already discovered, but the other day I found out something new. You don't have to rocket-launch yourself into the secret exit at Mt. Erebus (E3M6), you can land into it if you leap from the diagonal side of the ledge leading to the spot where you'd otherwise need to fire a rocket.
This means that you don't need the invulnerability and/or rocket ammo to reach the secret exit. If it's really something new, perhaps speedrunners can reach new records on E3M6. I wonder, did you guys know this?

I knew it, but I still prefer the rocket-jump method. It's just too damn annoying to get into there by just running, as I often fail at the attempt.

It has been known at least since June 13th, 1995 (note that the COMPET-N nostalgic page is incorrect) which is the date of the first COMPET-N run to feature the trick -- Eelco De Vries' 0:12 run to the E3M6 secret exit.

But it's always nice to make new discoveries independently, isn't it? :-)

Especially useless ones, like how to make the game crash on map06...

Favorite one that I found was the pl12 archie+rocket jump.

Kristian Ronge said:

It has been known at least since June 13th, 1995 (note that the COMPET-N nostalgic page is incorrect) which is the date of the first COMPET-N run to feature the trick -- Eelco De Vries' 0:12 run to the E3M6 secret exit.

I think what Terra-jin is referring to is not the switch trick, but the fact that the intended route can be done with straferunning rather than a rocket jump (i.e. method 2 of the three listed by Ledmeister). Also mentioned here. Exactly which of 2 and 3 was discovered first I'm not sure (and there is also the issue of it being possible to press the switch from the wrong side in version 1.1).

As for the switch trick, the demo by Jonathan "Hunter" Hoof mentioned on the compet-n tricks page is dated 19-April-1995. He also did a Nightmare in 0:10 a couple of days later. (Yes, he dies initially so he can do the dance without wasting time in his real attempt - it's not a desync.)

The earliest demo I can find (offhand) with the straferun/jump route is Kai-Uwe Humpert's e3m6s011.lmp from 12-May-1996, but surely there are much earlier ones.

Vile said:

Especially useless [discoveries]

Yes, I should post a list of places I've found where you can do map10-style glide, but it is of no use at all (starting area of Icarus map20, for example).

Grazza said:

...(and there is also the issue of it being possible to press the switch from the wrong side in version 1.1).

"Or in Boom 2.01" I was starting to say, but when I actually tried, I noticed that the wall is quite thick and I couldn't activate it from the other side. So, in Doom 1.1 not only it should have been possible to activate linedefs from the other side, but also it must have been possible to activate them from farther away.

Grazza said:
I think what Terra-jin is referring to is not the switch trick, but the fact that the intended route can be done with straferunning rather than a rocket jump

I see. Guess I should've read that more clearly.

Exactly which of 2 and 3 was discovered first I'm not sure (and there is also the issue of it being possible to press the switch from the wrong side in version 1.1).

The existing demos suggest the switch trick was discovered first, although it's also reasonable to suggest that the intended although not really intended :-) jump would have been discovered first, regardless of what demos there are (and that Kai-Uwe's run from '96 is the first you can find ATM), as it's just a minor modification of the intended route.

As for the switch trick, the demo by Jonathan "Hunter" Hoof mentioned on the compet-n tricks page is dated 19-April-1995.

I noted that the nostalgic page has it wrong, as I knew that Hunter made the Doom Lighting run in 1995, but I didn't know if his demos featuring the switch trick predated Eelco's (too lazy to check, heh).

He also did a Nightmare in 0:10 a couple of days later. (Yes, he dies initially so he can do the dance without wasting time in his real attempt - it's not a desync.)

Yep, and both that run and the Doom lightning run were made for DHT, not COMPET-N (so Eelco's is the first COMPET-N run to feature the switch trick).

Donce said:

"Or in Boom 2.01" I was starting to say, but when I actually tried, I noticed that the wall is quite thick and I couldn't activate it from the other side. So, in Doom 1.1 not only it should have been possible to activate linedefs from the other side, but also it must have been possible to activate them from farther away.

No, the map was modified after v1.1. Romero had an anecdote about how Sandy Petersen had to make the wall thicker because they apparently didn't know how to fix the pressing of switches from the second side yet.

Donce said:

"Or in Boom 2.01" I was starting to say

Well, you can press it from the wrong side in Boom 2.01, but you need to have done the jump one way or another, and then press it from the wrong side. Or do the switch trick from the wrong side. :) So it doesn't really gain you anything. You could try it with a 1.1 iwad (there is a downgrade patch available) and see if you can press it from behind/outside in Boom 2.01 (I imagine you can, but haven't tested).

I thought of mentioning some of that in my post, but decided it was too recherché. But since we've come down this road, I'll mention that it also applies to Boom 2.01's "compatibility mode" (info).

I cant even get to e1m9 using strategy guides... i feel retarded sometimes.
Though I'm still decent...

Kristian Ronge said:

It has been known at least since June 13th, 1995

Although, obviously, I have no evidence for this claim, I knew this long before that date because I thought the diagonal jump was how it was supposed to be done. I was amazed to find that people considered the "correct" way to do it to be the invulnerable rocket jump. I hadn't even considered that possibility until I saw it mentioned online.

Vile said:

Especially useless ones, like how to make the game crash on map06...

Favorite one that I found was the pl12 archie+rocket jump.

I've mentioned this in a previous thread, but I managed that in The Suburbs, due to the large enemy count.

GoatLord said:

I've mentioned this in a previous thread, but I managed that in The Suburbs, due to the large enemy count.

It's a different situation, actually. Load up map06 under vanilla doom (some ports fix the problem themselves) and open the red door. Face the left doortrak and try to use it. It's tagged as a door opener too, so it fails hard. :)

Vile said:

It's a different situation, actually. Load up map06 under vanilla doom (some ports fix the problem themselves) and open the red door. Face the left doortrak and try to use it. It's tagged as a door opener too, so it fails hard. :)

Heh, didn't know that. The right one is also tagged.