Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

How do I run Hexen on Zdoom?

All I have to say is in the subject line. I bought Hexen a while ago on CD-rom and now I want to play it on zdoom, but all I can do when I put the cd is run the auto-run. I can't install it regularly because Hexen doesnt support Windows NT or higher. (Earlier I played hexen on an older computer that had Windows 98 on it.)

When the CD is in, goto My Computer and explore the cd. Find "hexen.wad" , copy it, and paste it to the directory that zdoom is in. Running zdoom should ask you what iwad you want to use.

If for some reason it doesn't ask you, or you've told it to always use some iwad, and want to use another, there's always -iwad ____.wad.

Umm yeah it's just

zdoom.exe -iwad whatever_drive_letter:\whatever_the_path_is\hexen.wad

On the topic I'm surprised at how flawlessly (in my experience) ZDoom plays Heretic and Hexen.

AndrewB said:

On the topic I'm surprised at how flawlessly (in my experience) ZDoom plays Heretic and Hexen.

That's because Randy invested a lot of work in making it do that. And of course the source has been released so it was relatively easy to verify.

Jesus, this really is the best forum ever. I've been wanting to play Deathkings for about two years (since I actually got it) and didn't know how to get Hexen to work on XP until reading this. Thanks guys.

Yeah. Thanks for all your help in this manner. Now if only I could find my Heretic cd...