Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Belial

Heretic demos (non-demopack and NM)

xit vono replied with a 1:33 :)

almost feels like compet-n back in the days **

hitherto > I will put your demo in incoming, but next time email it to heretic . demos at free . fr

hitherto >

for some reason I can seem to be able to open your h1f1-135.zip ...
Do other people have the same problem ?

VinceDSS said:
Do other people have the same problem ?

If you try to save from the link, you download the download page, but named like the ZIP file. You need to go to the link with your browser and download the file from the link the page provides.

Yes I think so, it does not harm the monsters it touches.
And I dont think pacifist is against humiliating monsters :D

And now that you make me think about it I should make the rules a little clearer.

VinceDSS said:

Tyson will be accepted as long I get a few demos (let's say 3). The rules will be the same as the compet-n (weapons 1 and 2 only + the artifacts). Should be interesting to watch as the items will be quite helpfull :D

I think that combination wand + book is too powerful for "tyson" and should be disallowed.

Tyson demos for Doom can be a tad too slow for my taste, as the pistol is the only allowed long-range attack. I would say that allowing the tomed wand makes the demos faster paced and more interesting to see in Heretic.

I would also be for allowing the wand+tome combo, but I would like to hear from more players and watchers... if the majority doesnt like it I am not against forbidding it.

for the demos, I uploaded a bunch of demos from JC, with a couple of neat ep1 movies.

I think that tome+wand is indeed a powerful combination but I personally believe it should be allowed. Besides, Heretic doesn't have berzerk so it kinda balances out. Tome is of course limited in duration and we've only seen tyson demos on the easiest of the maps. Also I believe that it is better to have simpler rules than to say don't use this item with this weapon etc. I think items make it more interesting. We may see if tyson is in general too easy with these rules.

If a category is "too easy" that just increases the amount of competition in that category.

What's a good Heretic port for demo playback? I'd rather not have to fuss with dosBox.

Tyson-style origin, imho, is primarily hand-to-hand combat, with auxiliary ranged weapon for hitting distant switches and killing inaccesible monsters, not for trivial shooting.

xit-vono said:

Besides, Heretic doesn't have berzerk so it kinda balances out.

On other side, Heretic's vampiric gauntlets makes player nearly indestructible. For example, 1 book easily enough for safe shutdown 1 maloutaur or 1 d'Sparil raider. Only d'Sparil-on-foot power may break player's health below zero: http://e1m2.net/hth/vampire.zip

Creaphis said:

If a category is "too easy" that just increases the amount of competition in that category.

What's a good Heretic port for demo playback? I'd rather not have to fuss with dosBox.

I agree with your 1st statement :D

And for a port that can play heretic demos, there are none really 100% compatible. Only wheretic can run some demos but it is quite clunky. So you will be stuck with dosbox or winxp command line if you want to see all the demos.

It is somewhat sad to see the amount of *obscure* doom ports that are still developed but not played, and no decent heretic port... (like prboom or chocolate doom for doom)

I guess that could also have something to do with code licensing, but mostly that making a Doom port as opposed to making a Heretic port gives you a bigger e-penis.

Okay, I guess I'll have to fudge with DosBox, as I don't want to watch demos with no sound.

And the general indestructibility of the player when he has a tome powerup is exactly what will make Tyson demos so interesting to watch. It'll be like Quake speedruns, where the player grabs a quad damage and goes nuts.

e-penises are not the real thing, it doesnt help in real life with real girls **

And I would judge the size of "e-penis" with the number of people ACTUALLY using the port ... which is almost nobody for some of the ports out there.

A vanilla compatible heretic port would probably have as much success as prboom or chocolate doom.

Tyson for e1m4 in wand-free style, 5:27

I picked an easy task, just for breaking the almost 2 year long silence. At first I targeted for beating Xit's H1P4-156 (btw mistakenly marked as JC's in HoF), but I was not able to pass green door even once.

---

I watched another time h1p4-156 with double RAVMAP cheat and still don't understand where that deaf garg (which should sit right behind the green door) really was in that moment. :o

h1t4-527.zip

I actually tried tyson for this map in 2010, and had a time of 5:22.
I have sent a number of demos, but Vince has never put them in /incoming.
I'm attaching all the demos that I have done since the last update.
All were done in 2010 except 2 were in 2012.

The nomo demos, I recorded with the stats screen, and then I cut till the last tic with a hex editor and time them. I have included the cutted demos in 'nomonsters.zip'

I might get to do serious heretic speedrunning in the summer :)

kimoheretic.zip

JCD - how to play your last coop demos? I use Heretic 1.3 + vvPatch in DosBox. If I play this coop demos - game don't switch to netgame mode and the demo playback not correct.
Can you tell the correct command line parameters for this?

I'm using correct files, but thanks for the help anyway. I found my problem - I always use demo file name without specifying the file extension (lmp). For example "-playdemo demo1" - it always works for original game and vvPatch. But correct playback this coop demos happens to me only if I use full demo name with extension, for example "-playdemo h1c1j011.lmp". I do not know, maybe it happens only for me, but maybe someone will come in handy this information.

I'm new in recording speedruns, I'm just a fan of Heretic and like to watch demo records. My attempt for the sport "No Monsters" category for empty Heretic-N table list:

E3M4 - 1:05.86
E3M4s - 0:59.51

For some time I'm trying to make a modification for the old version of jHeretic port by Jaakko Keranen which was would fully compatible with the original Heretic demo format. This demo are recorded using jHeretic 0.93(se) version and also can be viewed using original Heretic v1.3. Let me know if this demos does not correspond to the original Heretic format.

Some video playback demo records on jHeretic 0.93(se):

HERETIC-N: Black Plague Max - E1M3 [h1f3-241] by stx-Vile 2007:
http://youtu.be/7L8jpxaKisc

HERETIC-N: Smite-Meister SPEED EPISODE - E3 Movie [h3sp-827] by Vincent Catalaa 2005:
http://youtu.be/pUy7Upz6p0k

HERETIC-N: Smite-Meister MAX - E5M8 [h5s8-336] by JC 2008:
http://youtu.be/8MbQ7bNNTv4

HERETIC-N: NO MONSTERS - Episode-1 Best Times 2013:
http://youtu.be/6Oy5XFUvUCM

HERETIC-N: NO MONSTERS - Episode-2 Best Times 2013:
http://youtu.be/0ChON9GAcF0

e3m4-nomonsters.zip

I finished h3m8 in nightmare! ( -skill 5 + -respawn ) in 2:17
But it's weird, D'Sparil hasn't respawned ... I was surprised :p
it's possible to kill D'Sparil without his mount before the other D'Sparil respawn ? or it's a respawn bug in the engine ? or the dragon spawnspot was occupied ? Maybe a lucky demo :p

h3n8-217.zip

Engine respawn monsters several randomly: check the level time, check monsters count and check simple random number 0-255. D'Sparil respawn time can be different. For fun, I now tried E3M8 and kill the Serpent, but not to touch the D'Sparil, time of occurrence of the next D'Sparil spawn was a very different. In most cases it occurred in the interval between 30 seconds and 1 minute, also I have results around 1:10, 1:20 and over 1:30 before next D'Sparil spawn.

JCD
In this demo you kill Serpent around 0:55, kill D'Sparil around 2:07, total time that the next D'Sparil was not respawn - 1:12. For example, we can see similar respawn time in the demo h3n8-445 by stx-Vile, it is present in Heretic-N - same time around 1:10 for the next D'Sparil respawn.

As a result, your demo it is not wrong, this absolutely normal record, you just got a little lucky! Congratulations with a good result and a new record on this map in this category.