Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Scared Straight

Gokuma said:

One of my friends was gay. He saw your father and turned straight.

Was this necessary?

AndrewB said:

I don't know. Is this necessary:

in the context of this thread? no

I've done scared straight. They had us talk to one of the prison guards from Walpol and from what he said.. he came in during the morning switch-over, when doing the roll call some guy in his cell didn't respond.. a few guards went in and the guys intestine were pulled out of his ass by his cell-mate in a botched sexual adventure. His cell-mate killed him to keep him from screaming.

So needless to say I havn't had many scrapes with the law.

I like the scared straight episode of the Venture Brothers.

I just traded you to King Gorilla for a pack of cigarettes, bitch!

heh, I took a full year of criminology/juvenile delinquency classes and it's clear to all researchers that Scared Straight doesn't work at all. The original video is basically a fabrication, though a popular one, and most have determined that if the program has any effect it's simply to increase the severity of crimes.

there are studies that the "fear" factor of PSAs like that last for 24 hours and then are worthless. You can scare kids away from drugs and alcohol and crime for 24 hours with a real life horror story but then it no longer has its effect. We learned this in Health class lol

sargebaldy said:
heh, I took a full year of criminology/juvenile delinquency classes and it's clear to all researchers that Scared Straight doesn't work at all.

While someone might end up frightened and desist from criminal behavior, another could well just conclude "hey well, wtf, if jails are so shitty, when a cop so much as tries to put a hand on me, I'll put a pig in his face and blow it away, as I'd rather live free and die with a bullet in my head than end up slowly gang raped to agonizing death in some musty cell in any such hell".

It's also advertizing the prison system as some sort of monstrousity. I mean, incarceration may indeed be quite horrid, but to put take that lowliness for granted and to put it to use pedagogically means that there isn't much of a will to make the system any better or to keep much of a standard. You're already assuming that shittiness is useful in inself. "Inhuman behavior in prison is good because it will keep kids away from crime."

I have always got the impression that the inmates are really running the prison, the correctional officers being mere guards. I bet that reinstitutionalization and overall crime-rates would drop if there was true control of the prisoners. Instead of having them sit around creating this twisted social structure have the convicts perform useful labor, like packaging bulk materials.

There cannot be a criminal society within the prison, with all of the fighting and rape and the like, rather the inmates must be controlled and truely reformed, not merely set away for a period of years to abused and merely cool off before they are released.

sargebaldy said:

heh, I took a full year of criminology/juvenile delinquency classes and it's clear to all researchers that Scared Straight doesn't work at all.

Uh, tell that to the hundreds of kids that went to the program when they went to the school I went to.

Also, the words Jail and Prison are not interchangable, damnit. A jail is a low-security facility run by the county (or whatever, I'm talking about the US system here). If your sentence is less than a year (IE : a misdemeanor or a non-violent felony) you go to jail for the duration of your sentence. Jails are generally better facilities over-all but tend to be more restrictive than prisons in the respect of prisoner movement.

A prison is a low-to-supermax security facility for violent and repeat offenders. You will go to a prison if your sentence is longer than a year or was a violent felony. Prisons are totally different from jails because in a Prison, the risk of death is palpable. Jail is for numbskulls who drunk drive or beat the shit out of their dog, not people who want to stab people in the neck and shit.

Naked Snake said:
Also, the words Jail and Prison are not interchangable, damnit.

In the USA, of course. Also, I wouldn't make a correction when no one has made the error, if I were you.

While I'm sure American prisons aren't fun places to be at, it doesn't seem like jails are much better, due to their lesser management over the inmates (of mixed types).