Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
aleksej

Possible 2 new vanilla bugs found or not?

A few days ago during test my maps for vanilla i'm found two bugs that not described in doom wiki. Both also coexist in chocolate and boom(prboom/+) but not found in zdoom based ports.
I'm make tiny stupid maps for watching these bugs.

1st - "Lost Soul amnesia" :) Lost Souls don't remember target (player) after their attack if you don't wake him by shooting.

2nd. "Levitating items" - Items can be raised over floor for desired height by playing with nearly sector tagget as any "raise floor xx" behavior.

Maybe these bug is well known and etc., but i'm not found any information about these two.

http://rapidshare.com/files/12658125/2bugs.zip.html

1st - "Lost Soul amnesia" :) Lost Souls don't remember target (player) after their attack if you don't wake him by shooting.

They actually have a sort of amnesia: they retaliate vs hits from other monsters with a tit-per-tat tactic, but they will attack a player unprovoked anyway, like any other monster, so you shouldn't actually need to attack them again. They may take a while to attack again, but there's actually no need to shoot them again.

2nd. "Levitating items" - Items can be raised over floor for desired height by playing with nearly sector tagget[sic] (tags?) as any "raise floor xx" behavior.

Dunno about this one, it sometimes happens that items or corpses become "suspended" on the edges of elevators or raising floors but no idea if it is consistent. Sometimes e.g. dead monsters fall out of windows towards the shooter.

Not sure about that particular levitating effect, but some wads tested under newer engines and not Doom or v1.9 compatibility display items that are levitated, but usually because they are placed too close to an edge. Doom seems to leave or place items at the highest point they touch, while Boom changed that to place them at the height of the center of the item. This is something people working on wads that don't use new features should be aware of, because if not ammo or other useful (or critical) items, may be spawned (or remain) beyond the reach of the player.

Maes said:
They actually have a sort of amnesia: they retaliate vs hits from other monsters with a tit-per-tat tactic, but they will attack a player unprovoked anyway, like any other monster, so you shouldn't actually need to attack them again. They may take a while to attack again, but there's actually no need to shoot them again.

Right, they seem to clear their target after they attack, so they will only attack again if they are hit, or if they see or hear the Player and are not hit by something else and distracted. I've occasionally seen Lost souls impaled to walls in the way shown in the demo.

Heh, lost soul amnesia... they keep banging their heads on everything, it's no wonder.