Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

i use gzdoom all the time
the port thats the most compatible with everything :D

i may use zdoom here and there though

[insert port here] for /newstuff, Odamex for testing/development. I haven't done any development recently, but that'll change in two weeks.

GZDoom, because it runs just about everything, and I like modding for it.

PRBoom+ for maps and megawads that others have tested and know works right in it. I'm not one to like going through a wad, only to find out that something doesn't work like it should because some moron only tested their "Boom compatible" level in ZDoom.

I use Legacy for all wads that don't specify a specific port. I use Zdoom a lot because I like Zdoom TC wads. I tried out Risen3D but my computer in not fast enough for smooth gameplay.

Nuxius said:

PRBoom+ for maps and megawads that others have tested and know works right in it. I'm not one to like going through a wad, only to find out that something doesn't work like it should because some moron only tested their "Boom compatible" level in ZDoom.

The "compatibility with common mapping errors" settings should be useful in such instances. The most common errors of the "Zdoomism" type (to use RjY's term) are caught by those, apart from the ones that make it impossible to load the map at all (and they will be apparent immediately, before you have wasted any time on it).

Mostly GZDoom and ZDoom. I find them the most balanced in terms of features, configuration ease, and general compatibility.

ZDoom for regular game-play and ZDaemon for testing. I'm trying Doomsday but I pretty much hate it due the the blury stat screen, sprites, etc. I pretty much only keep it for the lighting effects.

I'm trying Doomsday but I pretty much hate it due the the blury stat screen, sprites, etc. I pretty much only keep it for the lighting effects.

If you don't like texture filtering; turn it off.

Bring down the console and run the commands "lowres" and then "texreset".

Zdoom, Gzdoom, and glboom for demos. Sadly, Edge does not work for me (because I can't be bothered to try).

Heh, update to mine, I use PrBoom for general dooming, Chocolate Doom for that old time nostalgia feeling (read: iwads and one or two pwads), and Odamex for online (well, I will).

Well. From the users I can't see any difference between the multiplayer scene and the single player scene.

People seem to build some silly fan-boy loyalty to their port of choice and stick to it, and the hell with every else.

Most Zdoom users use Zdoom and only Zdoom, (or it's babies, like GZdoom and whatnot)

Most Legacy users seem to be the same.
Same with most of them actually.

How many times haven't we seen people say something like "Oh it's not for <whatever port>, I won't play it then."

If you look at the Zdaemon forum, you can find threads where people talk about how Skulltag isn't acting as oldschool as Zdaemon for instance, even if they are both from Zdoom. And many Skulltag players seem to have some sort of inferiority complex towards Zdaemon so they dish out some shit there too.

Would anyone mention Vavoom, there's 5 people there in an instant to comment on how horrible Vavoom is.

Risen3d people talk about their port like it was made by God, and every other port is infinitely inferior.

Then there's the people that claim they're "Oldschool doomers" even if most of these people are relatively new, and most of them even started out in Zdoom forums etc.

It's everywhere. People are full of shit and themselves.

AlexMax said:
Notice how you don't see nearly this amount of bad sentiment between ports of later games such as QuakeWorld, where the netcode is standardized and the source is GPL, where players from multiple ports can coexist on the same server.

That is not directly related to them being for MultiPlayer purposes, though (which is what he implied). I'm sure that if ZDoom and JDoom were closed sourced a similar rift would form.

myk said:

I'm sure that if ZDoom and JDoom were closed sourced a similar rift would form.

Why? Neither engine can run each other's maps. What would it matter if the source were closed?

I'm fully aware that there used to be intense rivalries between singleplayer ports, but from what I've seen it's died down a lot. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to have shifted to simply prefering a certain port instead of actively bashing the "competition" at every possible opportunity. And I certainly don't remember anybody doing something as stupid as filtering out the name of another port in their forums.

kristus said:

Most Zdoom users use Zdoom and only Zdoom, (or it's babies, like GZdoom and whatnot)

Is it really that surprising?

I think most players will always prefer the port they are most comfortable with. Say what you want but the various single player ports handle quite differently so switching to another engine may not be convenient for one's playing fun.

As for ZDoom in particular, it's a fact that with ZDoom you will rarely encounter maps that require something else. Sure, for the occasional map that requires another source port you have to switch but last year there was precisely one release that doesn't work with (G)ZDoom I considered worth playing. Too bad that my computer and Legacy seem to hate each other so I had to pass...

[/B][/QUOTE]

I find that more an example of the problem, rather than a explanation for the reason.

The fact that most Zdoom users refuse to change to any other engine for the playing of a wad sort of "bullies" other people into using Zdoom just so people will play their wad.
People are even making their wads "Zdoom only" without them even requiring any special Zdoom features. Which in turn makes other people have to use Zdoom to play just regular wads.

kristus said:

The fact that most Zdoom users refuse to change to any other engine for the playing of a wad sort of "bullies" other people into using Zdoom just so people will play their wad.

That's nonsense. Everybody knows that ZDoom is perfectly capable of handling Boom and Vanilla levels so why should anyone feel 'bullied'?

I rather think that when reading threads like this one some people might feel bullied to map for the lowest common denominator in order to get the widest possible audience for their creation, which is restricting themselves to vanilla features.

People are even making their wads "Zdoom only" without them even requiring any special Zdoom features. Which in turn makes other people have to use Zdoom to play just regular wads.

What can you do about carelessness? Anyone releasing a map to the public should at least make sure that it works with all engines it's intended for. But how do you propose to enforce proper QA during map development? Of course this goes both ways. The same way people can accidentally use a specific port feature they can also exploit a specific vanilla bug so that the map doesn't work properly with some ports. The only remedy against such things is proper testing.

I'm not talking about Boom, I'm talking about Eternity, Edge, Vavoom, Legacy, whatever else there is. Something Zdoom is not capable of handling.
Granted that Zdoom got the biggest following. But people who might want to use Eternity for instance is put off by it because of this big Zdoom following refusing to try anything but wads that will run in ZDoom.

And there's not just a matter of carelessness, Regular Boom wads can be by the author said "Zdoom only" w/o them actually having any required features of Zdoom. Almost makes me think some people think it's a promotional matter to call it "Zdoom only".

kristus said:

I'm not talking about Boom, I'm talking about Eternity, Edge, Vavoom, Legacy, whatever else there is. Something Zdoom is not capable of handling.

So?

The problem is not that ZDoom users wouldn't use these ports (although strong exceptions can be made for Legacy and Vavoom - but that's not the issue here), it's that some people just *assume* that ZDoom users wouldn't use them.

In reality they don't get used because there's not enough content for them which would make using them worthwile. And as long as mappers just assume that the user base for these ports is too small they won't map for it. Unless someone breaks that circle it won't change.

Honestly, why should I use Eternity, for example? It's certainly the best of the rest but in what way do I profit from it now? There's precisely two specific maps for it out there if I am not mistaken. I have played both once but since then it has been collecting dust due to lack of content.

But without content the user base won't increase and this inevitably leads to discussions like this that makes some people think it's not worth bothering with mapping for these other ports.

And so the vicious circle starts again but there's still no maps. But please don't blame the users which are *not* as fixated on ZDoom as you make it appear. It is easy to accuse ZDoomers of being unwilling to use any other ports if the available stuff out there makes it that easy to ignore them this easily without fear of missing something. Blame the mappers who don't use these engines.

david_a said:
Why? Neither engine can run each other's maps. What would it matter if the source were closed?

There would be more antipathy in their deveopment just like there is between ZDaemon's and Skulltag's, which would lead to similat tension between users and wad makers. It is not uncommon for the developers of the SP engines to get together over forums and whatnot to discuss differences and broad development schemes (such as new cross port formats), and even the ones with different licenses, that are otherwise providing their code, sometimes share code (you can see the Eternity team crediting the ZDoom developers for some stuff, for example, and in any case they can each see each other's work). All this gives developers, designers and players a community sense that in closed software forms mostly around the engine in question only.

For example, ZDoom stands a bit apart from PrBoom, Eternity and Chocolate Doom, but is still rather open to them since the attitude of its developer is more open and friendly to the GPL, even if the engine can't be fully free software. The rift between Skulltag and ZDaemon is much more pronounced given their developers don't share information or a community sense, and that eventually polarizes their user bases as well.