Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Prehistoric Shark found alive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16785254/

TOKYO - A species of shark rarely seen alive because its natural habitat is 2,000 feet or more under the sea was captured on film by staff at a Japanese marine park this week.

The Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, was alerted by a fisherman at a nearby port on Sunday that he had spotted an odd-looking eel-like creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth.

Marine park staff caught the 5-foot long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a “living fossil” because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.

I want to watch the video, but it says I need to download "Firefox 1.5", but I have Firefox 2.0... and it won't let me do step 2. Is there another place this video is located on? I'm really interested in this type of stuff.

Edit: sorry I have Firefox 2.0.0.1 haha.

Haha, is that serious? Looks like more rejected Little Mermaid concept designs to me.

they just showed the video on the 11:00 news. WOW! that is something else. I wonder what a healthy one looks like in it's own environment.

Technician said:

Use ie.

Fine... I'm checking it out now... on IE. I hate IE, it's sooo slow.

Ok... that is one cool shark, did you see it's gills? Crazy. It's too bad it died, it could have proved to be a great find for marine biologists in studying prehistoric life.

Antidote said:

Fine... I'm checking it out now... on IE. I hate IE, it's sooo slow.

o_Oa

Compared to what, Firefox or Opera?

Or are you on the 7.x version? I haven't used that yet. Heard it wasn't too great compared to 6.

The vid is worth checking out. I read the article yesterday, really cool find. Sad that it died after a few hours. They said it was because it was poor condition and that the more shallow waters didnt help either.

Really neat looking animal.

Inferno said:
Sad that it died after a few hours.

Well, I bet it was basically in hell. Near the surface it was probably stunned by the light, too hot, feeling really bad due to the lack of pressure, and being attacked by germs and parasites that wouldn't affect it deeper down.

myk said:

being attacked by germs

That's the oficial version. It actually was attacked by sperms, and to be more specific, the parasits where human intestinal ones.

Bad joke I know, don't get me wrong, I find sad it died.

myk said:

feeling really bad due to the lack of pressure

That is likely what finished it off. Deep sea animals do not fare-well in lower pressures (if you have ever watched a program with a deep sea submersible collecting specimens they usually mention this). Of course, it was probably near death anyway if it was at the surface, there are many cases of deep sea animals in their last days getting disoriented and ending up in places thry shouldn't be.

Also, most sharks must be continuously moving to force water over their gills, which facilitates oxygen transfer. If they stop for an extended period they suffer from oxygen deprivation. I read a book of memoirs by the guy who curated the Monterey Bay Aquarium from its inception into the late 90s(?), and there was an incident where a small great white shark was captured by fishermen and brought to the aquarium. Once it was put in the tank it began swimming erratically around and was unresponsive to outside stimuli (actually his description of the animals condition is really similar to the footage of this Japanese shark).

Anyway, to make a long story short the thing never revived and they figured out that the shark had not been able to move and bring water across its gill's, and the oxygen deprivation had resulted in severe brain damage. I bet this shark was suffering from the same condition.

That's what I was thinking, Dr. Zin. It's not uncommon for deep sea animals to come near the surface as they die.

Lüt said:

o_Oa

Compared to what, Firefox or Opera?

Or are you on the 7.x version? I haven't used that yet. Heard it wasn't too great compared to 6.

I have the version: 6.0.2900.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

I never updated to 7, because I got Firefox 2.0 recently and found that IE was a joke. Then I found out that IE was even more of a joke when it copied almost all of Firefox's features. Such as, the customizable search bar at the top, the tabbed browsing. On top of that it also change the navigation bar making it confusing and hard to use, so I just screw it, Firefox was original and I should use it for it's originality. Firefox's clean and simple lay made it what it is today. And it even has and on screen spell check like was word does, I like that.

Enough about this, let's talk about the shark. Prehistoric sharks are cool. Discuss.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hGlEaJPhXs

Video is related, but do you suffer from sweaty palms? just watch the video it has the dumbest advertisements (eventually it gets to the shark thing).

Snarboo said:

That's what I was thinking, Dr. Zin. It's not uncommon for deep sea animals to come near the surface as they die.

In truth, it's not uncommon for them to explode in shallower waters. So, if they didn't, we'd be seeing a lot more.

Uh, no.

An animal is not like a pop-can, to explode it would have to be a sealed system unable to vent pressure, which it is not. Decompressing presents huge physiological problems, but there is no bodily explosion!

That is like the myth that a person exposed to vaccum explodes. In reality the lower pressure bring the boiling point down so far that all of the liquids in the body begin boiling off. Three Russian cosmonauts were killed when the atmospheric seals on their space capsule failed on reentry, and the bodies looked fairly normal, with the exception that their blood boiled away.

The reason dead deep sea animals are not commonly found on the surface is that most die in the deep sea and merely sink to the bottom to be consumed by scavengers. It is the rare creature that is terminally afflicted and begins ascending in its disorientation (possibly to get into warmer water) that leads to these finds.

I found it odd that it's diet, among other things, included shark. Maybe they are really tough buggers when they are healthy.

Searcher said:

I found it odd that it's diet, among other things, included shark. Maybe they are really tough buggers when they are healthy.

quite many, if not most shark species and relatives are fairly small, you know

I love Wikipedia, in between Doom wads, I look at Wikipedia for information I don't know about. I guess you could say I am WIkipediafiliac or whatever that is, I just made it up.