Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zeroth

plutonia 2

Tormentor's TNT wads have nothing to do with the IWAD, and Plutonia 2 is probably quite dead these days.

ZDoom thought Tormentor's TNT.WAD was in fact the IWAD TNT.WAD, and it tried to run it. I had to change it, but it can be easily mixed up.

As a beta tester for Plutonia 2, I can say that it is in a state of limbo these days, damn shame I tell you. The last betas we were able to check out were in fact 32 levels, quality levels mind you, and they were supposed to be getting touch ups and such.

Last I heard was the Plutonia 2 was headed by Virgil, and according to other people that were in the beta group as well, he's since put it on the back burner.

Hopefully it'll see the light of day, but I myself wouldn't be holding my breath... You just might suffocate.

if its a complete wad, its better to be released mostly-complete than never released at all....

petition, perhaps?

theres still a demo level available for download on the plutonia 2 site, which ends up being like level 13... readme says the level was created over night, and that didn't inspire confidence.

Well, things are happening now...

Project Update:

Vincent Catalaa, one of the primary testers for the project, contacted a bunch of people and sent over the beta wad to have us go over the maps and decide which ones fit in and which ones need to be changed or scrapped completely. Some levels look great and capture the plutonia atmosphere quite well, while others have issues and fit into the latter category. Unfortunately, levels being lost in time (similar to hellcore's first release) has also affected plutonia2, but hopefully new maps can successfully fill the gaps.

Another interesting tidbit is that one map is also hr2 map17, except that the version in the plutonia2 beta has numerous architectural enhancements and looks quite a bit better. Very strange, but that one will probably have to be removed as well and possibly, with the permission of the original author, perhaps it can be released on its own.

Just giving you a heads-up, since I've wanted this thing released for quite some time myself.

Vile said:

Project Update:

Vincent Catalaa, one of the primary testers for the project, contacted a bunch of people and sent over the beta wad to have us go over the maps and decide which ones fit in and which ones need to be changed or scrapped completely. Some levels look great and capture the plutonia atmosphere quite well, while others have issues and fit into the latter category. Unfortunately, levels being lost in time (similar to hellcore's first release) has also affected plutonia2, but hopefully new maps can successfully fill the gaps.

Another interesting tidbit is that one map is also hr2 map17, except that the version in the plutonia2 beta has numerous architectural enhancements and looks quite a bit better. Very strange, but that one will probably have to be removed as well and possibly, with the permission of the original author, perhaps it can be released on its own.

Just giving you a heads-up, since I've wanted this thing released for quite some time myself.

well, I played the first level (or at least some of it) of the stuff in metabolist's directory which claimed to be Plutonia 2....and...damn it sucked. sorry :-x

I hope it wasn't plutonia 2...

I, for one, like what I have played so far. Although it doesn't really fit with Plutonia's style of gameplay, it does seem pretty awesome.

Zeroth said:

well, I played the first level (or at least some of it) of the stuff ....and...damn it sucked. ... I hope it wasn't plutonia 2...

Serves you right for trying to play something that wasn't finished and hadn't been released. Also by linking to something that was not meant to be publically available, you were effectively leaking material, which isn't viewed very favourably around here. Link removed.

Vile said:

Project Update:

Great news Vile, great news indeed. By the way, do you remember Sam talking about his "Lost Week" Project? It was supposed to be 6 or so levels that were going to be quite rough, Hr and AV like if I wasn't mistaken. I've tried to get ahold of him about it for sometime, but unfortunately haven't had such luck.

Any info on that?

Grazza said:

Serves you right for trying to play something that wasn't finished and hadn't been released. Also by linking to something that was not meant to be publically available, you were effectively leaking material, which isn't viewed very favourably around here. Link removed.

I appologize. I wasn't aware I was doing anything wrong. I myself am on a mod team and figured that the data wouldn't have been publicly exposed like it is. I had assumed it was publicly accessible because it's an ancient mod that was, for all reasons to believe, dead.

ragnew said:

Great news Vile, great news indeed. By the way, do you remember Sam talking about his "Lost Week" Project? It was supposed to be 6 or so levels that were going to be quite rough, Hr and AV like if I wasn't mistaken. I've tried to get ahold of him about it for sometime, but unfortunately haven't had such luck.

Any info on that?

I personally have never spoken to him, so I don't know about the condition of that project. I don't even know where he is these days. :/

The quality of the maps varied though it was usually above average, but most of them shared the same problem, at least in my opinion: they were too large/took too long to beat to feel like Plutonia maps.

Not much of a problem in itself, personally I enjoy longer and highly populated maps, but in a wad that's meant to be Plutonia 2 they seemed out of place.

Vile wrote:
Another interesting tidbit is that one map is also hr2 map17, except that the version in the plutonia2 beta has numerous architectural enhancements and looks quite a bit better.

It's virtually identical to the pre-release HR2 version, but with some of the standard textures replaced with Plutonia ones.

Oh, and PL2-08 is also HR2-22. Again, though, it's the pre-release version.

Vile said:

Some levels look great and capture the plutonia atmosphere quite well, while others have issues and fit into the latter category.

I was only on the project briefly but retaining the Plutonia style wasn't a high priority, as you can see from the thumbnails

Szymanski said:

I was only on the project briefly but retaining the Plutonia style wasn't a high priority.

then how can they call it Plutonia 2?

They could take any old crap levels, throw them together, and call them a sequel to any number of their previous wads... capturing atmosphere is the only thing you can do to make it a true successor.

Vile said:

Another interesting tidbit is that one map is also hr2 map17

That's one of mine. I think there's another that was submitted for both projects too.

If you're in touch with whoever is running the project now, I encourage excluding them from the pack, myself too. I might be able to make a new map, if there is need for it.

I was actually playing Kama Sutra the other day, and felt like making a Plutonia tribute, while playing map08, or somewhere around there.

Glad to see this project is still interesting people...

As far as I go, and I believe the current members think the same (Vile, Da Maniac and Torn), it should more or less follow plutonia's style and atmosphere or you cannot really call it plutonia :) We think some maps will need replacing or major rework, and this we cannot do alone. Contacting the original mappers is needed and if you guys read these lines contact us please, and let us know if you can join the project once again.

I tried to contact a bunch of the former team members but I got no replies so far, I wonder if their emails are still up to date (I got these on the 4 year old plutonia2 homepage).

To people interested in joining and mapping for this project, we can send you the resource WAD and give you a shot a making a map worthy of plutonia :) The team will then decide if your map is good enough to be included.

@gemini, szymanski and richie : I can add you to the mailing list if you wish, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Antidote said:

ZDoom thought Tormentor's TNT.WAD was in fact the IWAD TNT.WAD, and it tried to run it. I had to change it, but it can be easily mixed up.

Well, I've wondered why Torment & Torture wasn't just T&T, or TAT, because "and" begins with "A". Or T 'N T i.e. Burgers 'N Biscuits.

VinceDSS said:

To people interested in joining and mapping for this project, we can send you the resource WAD and give you a shot a making a map worthy of plutonia :) The team will then decide if your map is good enough to be included.

Can I give it a shot dunno if I can catch that plutonia feeling but I will sure try my best on it.

dutch devil said:

Can I give it a shot dunno if I can catch that plutonia feeling but I will sure try my best on it.

Coming from someone who has enjoyed every map by you that I've played, by all means. :)

Ok got your message check your PM for my email adress, I'd better hurry up with my doom remakes so I have some more free time to do a map for this :p

this is not a rushed project, you can take your time :)

Much, much work will be needed to make this really worthy of its predecessor.

Good news, Anders Johnsen joined the team ! (not for mapping though)

VinceDSS said:

I don't consider myself a super good mapper, but do you mind if I give a map a shot?

the farther I get into the wad, the more I think some maps do not belong in a "plutonia" wad :(

Too crampy, too dark, too complex, theme several light years off plutonia's... but still nice maps that would make a great Memento Mori 3 or Requiem 2 :) I don't really know what the other testers think... let's see what Anders and Vile come up with.