• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Randy87

Doom < doom 1.2

I just got a set of Doom 1.2 floppies that I bought off of ebay and they
work perfectly, but I wanted to know if anyone had access to or know
how I might get a copy of doom 1.0?

I just wanted to check it out. (Collect it, check out the old bugs)
Doom 1.0 is 1.666? What have you been smoking?
I already have the 1.9 to 1.1 patch, but that isn't 1.0 (0.99)

I'm not even sure if anything other than the shareware episode was available in version 0.99 (aka 1.0). This seems to indicate that version 1.1 was released less than a week after 1.0 was, and probably went out with the first orders of the game.

The betas, press releases, and shareware versions are all here.

In any event, DOSBox, the full IWAD from Ultimate Doom, the patches at the link provided by lupinx-Kassman, and the v1.9 shareware (for some files not included with my non-DOS copy of UD) were sufficient to generate the commonly available versions of Doom (1.1, 1.2, 1.666, 1.9 [non-UD])...

My recollection is that 0.99 came out as shareware. I have some magazine cover disks with my first copy of it on somewhere. I am not aware of anyone having 1.0 and I am pretty sure that the first fully available version was 1.1. 1.2 was also pretty common and I know at least one more version (1.4) was generally available before 1.666.

The earliest registered version I have in my collection is 1.1. You should be able to incrementally upgrade to 1.9 and then use the downgrade patch.

I'm pretty certain there was no 1.0 registered.

printz said:

Another oddity: why was the 1.0 version of Doom called an operating system?

Even v1.1 was called that way :-)

Perhaps because it practically installed its own memory allocation and data caching system and kicked out DOS almost completely, it was by no standard a "clean" DOS application :-) In fact, using e.g. smartdrive or memory extenders just got in the way of Doom, and the ideal running condition was a clean "F5" boot (or a clean boot with paths and other env. variables set, if you had a multiple boot autoexec.bat and config.sys like me :-p )

The complexity of the auxiliary systems of Doom was enough to call it "an Operating System" of its own.

About versions...D'OH: v1.1 registered is THE oldest official commercial version (shipped with both old and new DOS extender)

Usually 1.0 and 0.99 both fall in the "pre-release" and "beta" category, and you're not supposed to have them :-)

The rest, as they say, is legend.

Maes said:

Even v1.1 was called that way :-)

Perhaps because it practically installed its own memory allocation and data caching system and kicked out DOS almost completely, it was by no standard a "clean" DOS application :-) In fact, using e.g. smartdrive or memory extenders just got in the way of Doom, and the ideal running condition was a clean "F5" boot (or a clean boot with paths and other env. variables set, if you had a multiple boot autoexec.bat and config.sys like me :-p )

The complexity of the auxiliary systems of Doom was enough to call it "an Operating System" of its own.

Wasn't there a complete (though disgustingly glitchly) Doom OS built around all this? I hear a friend of mine mention this fairly often.

Fraggle said:

The earliest registered version I have in my collection is 1.1. You should be able to incrementally upgrade to 1.9 and then use the downgrade patch.

I'm pretty certain there was no 1.0 registered.

Yeah, I already have the 1.9 to 1.1 downgrade (unfortunately I can't get the sound to work on my dos machine). I guess I'll have to stick with 1.0 shareware then.

Is your registered 1.1 an original or the downgrade?

Coopersville said:

Wasn't there a complete (though disgustingly glitchly) Doom OS built around all this? I hear a friend of mine mention this fairly often.

The closest I've heard of this is the Doom process manager.

Maes said:

In fact, using e.g. smartdrive or memory extenders just got in the way of Doom, and the ideal running condition was a clean "F5" boot (or a clean boot with paths and other env. variables set, if you had a multiple boot autoexec.bat and config.sys like me :-p )

Ahhh! Memories. :)

fraggle said:

You should be able to incrementally upgrade to 1.9

Which versions were there? I think I remember 0.99, 1.1, 1.2, maybe 1.3, 1.4, 1.666, 1.7a, 1.8 and 1.9. Do I have that right or was there more/less?

Is there any missing graphic in the early versions? By this I mean something not available in the alphas, neither DOOM 2?

Randy87 said:

Yeah, I already have the 1.9 to 1.1 downgrade (unfortunately I can't get the sound to work on my dos machine). I guess I'll have to stick with 1.0 shareware then.

Is your registered 1.1 an original or the downgrade?

A downgrade. A while back I went through the process of running through all the upgrade/downgrade patches and archiving each version (see my MD5 collection and notes).

Vegeta said:

Is there any missing graphic in the early versions? By this I mean something not available in the alphas, neither DOOM 2?

I remember seeing sprites for ejected shell casings for the pistol/chaingun and shotgun in one IWAD, but I have no idea which one it was. It might have been an early shareware WAD.

Vegeta said:

v1.1 lacked the IFOG sprite used in deathmatch games for respawning (introduced in v1.2), and I'm sure there is something like a spent shotgun shell graphic in some of the IWADs....

Edit: v1.1 IWAD has indeed some unused sprite entries:

PBULA0-PBULB0: spent pistol case being ejected
PSHEA0-PSHEB0: spent shotgun shell being ejected (looking more like a can of coke, than a shell)

Some other sprites I don't recall seeing in-game:

BAL3x0-BAL6x0: Variously coloured fireballs that aren't used by any known monster or weapon, probably leftovers from alphas and the early BFG.

Those don't appear in v1.9 Iwad, nor in Doom II v1.666 IWAD.

There are also some status bar miniature weapon icons in v1.1 (STWEAP0-STWEAP5) which, again, have no use except perhaps in alphas.

Also: Ultimate Doom IWAD v1.9 has some Doom II sprites, including monster spawner cubes, flaming barrels and mancubus fireballs.

Maes said:

Also: Ultimate Doom IWAD v1.9 has some Doom II sprites, including monster spawner cubes, flaming barrels and mancubus fireballs.

IIRC it also has an additional copy of one of the wall patches, SW18_7 I think, and an entire extra set of sound entries. O_O

Enjay said:

IIRC it also has an additional copy of one of the wall patches, SW18_7 I think, and an entire extra set of sound entries. O_O

Checked...well, it has the sound entries for fast door opening/closing (since it "inherited" those from Doom 2). Also, v1.1 doesn't have the "Death Yell" sound (DSPDIEHI), nor the respawn sound (DSITMBK) or the modem sound (DSTINK). Some sounds are duplicated in v1.9 IWAD (two DSITMBK and DSTINK entries).

And yeah, SW18_7 has a duplicate.

Open DOOM.WAD in XWE or something and go to the DMXGUS lump. Following it should be DPPISTOL and then DSPISTOL followed by the other sounds. Now scroll down to D_INTROA. The lump following it is also DPPISTOL followed by DSPISTOL and most, if not all, the other sounds.

I remember it used to cause me all sorts of problems "back in the day" because DMAUD.EXE would replace sounds from one set, but Doom.exe would use the other set.

Ok, here's a list of the dooms I have collected so far.
----------
Doom v0.2 Alpha
Doom v0.4 Alpha
Doom v0.5 Alpha
Doom PRB

Doom v1.0 SW
Doom v1.1 SW
Doom v1.2 SW
Doom v1.4 SW
Doom v1.5 SW
Doom v1.6 SW
Doom v1.8 SW
Doom v1.9 SW

Doom v1.1
Doom v1.2
Doom v1.666
Doom v1.9
Doom v1.9u

Doom 2 v1.666 (Unsupported Pirated Copy)
Doom 2 v1.7
Doom 2 v1.7a
Doom 2 v1.9
------------
So I am only missing
Doom v1.8
Doom 2 v1.666 (Real Non-Pirated)
Doom 2 v1.8

Right?

I actually purchased the following ID games
so don't lecture me on warez!

Doom 1.2 on floppies
The Ultimate Doom 1.9
Doom 2 1.9 (2 copies, I lost the original)
Doom 2 for Macintosh
Final Doom
Collectors Edition

Randy87 said:

Doom 2 v1.7

How did you get this? There doesn't seem to be any downgrade route to 1.7.

You might also find this helpful :-)

Please don't boast about warezing iwads here. The fact that you have bought a legal copy, or a whole bunch of them, doesn't change this.

Fine by me, just answering his question.

I also just found an update from 1.7a to 1.8!
I think I've got em all!

fraggle said:

How did you get this? There doesn't seem to be any downgrade route to 1.7

One could always downgrade to 1.666 (or just get it off the original disks, like in my case) and use the infamous 1.666 to 1.7 patch). My opinion on collecting patches and stuff?

It's cool and everything, but I completed Doom 1 as v1.1 back in 1994, and Doom II back in 1996 as v1.666. Internet wasn't ubiquitous as it is today, so I only had a chance to even download most of those patches waaaay after (like 1998-1999), and with source ports and everything I wasn't very interested in applying them :-)

BTW, I wonder how none mentions that Doom v1.1 had a cap for health and armor at 199%, not 200% ;-)