Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Th0r

[Heretic] The Call of Death

The sudden interest in Heretic mapping has made me decide to start on my first one. Its a challenge without all of the texture flexibility/options. Anyways, it will be Zdoom(sorry not vanilla)
Should be done in a week or two.

Second pic could stand to use a little more detail.

But yeah, I've wanted to map for Heretic before but like you, every time I open the editor I get turned off by the lack of texture/theme options.

Kid Airbag said:

Second pic could stand to use a little more detail.

But yeah, I've wanted to map for Heretic before but like you, every time I open the editor I get turned off by the lack of texture/theme options.

Detail in that area would get in the way of gameplay if you get what I mean. I'll try to think of something for celing details though.

Th0r said:

Detail in that area would get in the way of gameplay if you get what I mean.

Not really, unless it's meant to be played on the ceiling.

Th0r said:

I'll try to think of something for celing details though.

heh, I guess I wasnt clear enough.

Edit :

I dunno if this will help you any, but I personally find floor shadowing like that ugly. The "light" from the sky would not normally cast something like that. In cases like this, I find it better to just keep the light level along the floor even, except in parts that come close to the ground.

EarthQuake said:

I dunno if this will help you any, but I personally find floor shadowing like that ugly. The "light" from the sky would not normally cast something like that. In cases like this, I find it better to just keep the light level along the floor even, except in parts that come close to the ground.

Hmm good idea, thanks for the tip.

Th0r said:

heh, I guess I wasnt clear enough.

Portals are wonderful things.

I do partially agree about the floor lighting, though in such dark rooms, I think slight variations can be a good thing, but definitely not so extreme and not to the point it outlines every single piece of ceiling detail.

And you could always go P:AR-style and have it cast angular detail :P

I think Heretic and Hexen textures can be merged into a single Heretic or Hexen project so you'll have a more consistent texture base.

Anyway, the first pic is great !

Naan said:

Anyway, the first pic is great ! [/B]

Thanks! Work is progressing well.

Believe it or not...I just bought Heretic, and I've been itching to do some mapping or it as well...I wanted to do something for the Heretic Treasure Chest, but I think I'm being ignored right now :P. Also, if it weren't for all of my prior mapping commitments for other projects, I'd probably start making something right now.

Anyways, the remake of the second shot there with the ceiling detial looks very nice, as does the first screenshot. I'll be looking forward to the release!

VinceDSS said:

does it really need to be zDoom specific? limit removing, yes, but zDoom only?

I would, but I'm not familiar with limit removing. Zdoom, skulltag, and vanilla are the only formats that I'm well enough acquainted with to efficiently map with. Noob question time : What is limit removing? Is there a port I need?

Kappes Buur said:

If you need some more textures than try the following link,

http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?t=12759&start=15

where Bouncy published textures from Might and Magic 6, 7, and 8 to be downloaded. They might fit very nicely into your Heretic map.

Hey, thanks for the link! I'll check out those textures and see if there are any I might need.

Th0r said:

Noob question time : What is limit removing? Is there a port I need?

A port that removes the limits of the vanilla engine, such as ZDoom. The limits are the things like sidedef count and visible sectors before a HOM is produced.

I could get my hands on one of these packs. Not all the stuff is usable but it looks pretty interesting, even for old school textures :) (with some resizing + palette adjustment)

too bad rapidshare sucks horse balls and doesnt allow more than a download per hour unless you pay 4.50 euros :/

Homer said:

A port that removes the limits of the vanilla engine, such as ZDoom. The limits are the things like sidedef count and visible sectors before a HOM is produced.

Ah thanks. I was always wondering about that.

Th0r said:

I would, but I'm not familiar with limit removing. Zdoom, skulltag, and vanilla are the only formats that I'm well enough acquainted with to efficiently map with. Noob question time : What is limit removing? Is there a port I need?

if you know vanilla, then you know limit removing :)
It's exactly the same except you can use as many sectors and linedefs as you want ... (but absolutely no actions specific to a port like zDoom, Legacy, Boom or others)

Using "limit removing" means your map will be playable on any ports except the original DOS EXE released by Raven.

VinceDSS said:

if you know vanilla, then you know limit removing :)
It's exactly the same except you can use as many sectors and linedefs as you want ... (but absolutely no actions specific to a port like zDoom, Legacy, Boom or others)

Using "limit removing" means your map will be playable on any ports except the original DOS EXE released by Raven.

Oh that's cool. I doubt my sector count will be very high in this map, prolly only around 200-400 at the end. I'll reserve limit removing for the next one. Also one question about LR, does it support Flats as Wall textures and vise versa?

Th0r said:

Also one question about LR, does it support Flats as Wall textures and vise versa?

Nope, that's a ZDoom feature I'm afraid.

Th0r said:

Oh that's cool. I doubt my sector count will be very high in this map, prolly only around 200-400 at the end. I'll reserve limit removing for the next one. Also one question about LR, does it support Flats as Wall textures and vise versa?

if your sector count is that low, it may be vanilla compatible :) but it all depends on how many sectors will be displayed at the same time.

VinceDSS said:

if your sector count is that low, it may be vanilla compatible :) but it all depends on how many sectors will be displayed at the same time.

Won't be, I'm mainly using zdoom for the texture/flat versatility. There are many sectors which use a flat on a wall or a texture on a flat.

Mechadon said:

Believe it or not...I just bought Heretic, and I've been itching to do some mapping or it as well...I wanted to do something for the Heretic Treasure Chest, but I think I'm being ignored right now :P. Also, if it weren't for all of my prior mapping commitments for other projects, I'd probably start making something right now.

Anyways, the remake of the second shot there with the ceiling detial looks very nice, as does the first screenshot. I'll be looking forward to the release!

Huh? You have mapslot E4M3.

Th0r said:

Won't be, I'm mainly using zdoom for the texture/flat versatility. There are many sectors which use a flat on a wall or a texture on a flat.

Well, if this stays just as "limit removing" and don't use any zdoom specials, then you could give this to HTC.

It looks pretty good so far. I can really see the progress being made in the screenshots too, it seems like you're becoming more familiar with Heretic's limited resources and you're already putting them to good use as well.

Keep up the good work man!

Craigs said:

It looks pretty good so far. I can really see the progress being made in the screenshots too, it seems like you're becoming more familiar with Heretic's limited resources and you're already putting them to good use as well.

Keep up the good work man!

Thanks! I will.

torn said:
Well, if this stays just as "limit removing" and don't use any zdoom specials, then you could give this to HTC. [/B]

I would, but I don't know. I don't really want to submit a map that turns out to just be an insignificant filler.

Th0r said:

Thanks! I will.

I would, but I don't know. I don't really want to submit a map that turns out to just be an insignificant filler.

Well, I am probaly changing it to a normal episode, so it is not gonna be a filler.

Torn said:

Well, I am probaly changing it to a normal episode, so it is not gonna be a filler.

Ok, well if you do decide to change it to a normal episode I would be glad to submit it.

EDIT : But I do want to make sure I'm clear that I'm using wall textures on sectors like they were flats, I thought that wasnt compatible with Limit Removing...

Th0r said:

Ok, well if you do decide to change it to a normal episode I would be glad to submit it.

EDIT : But I do want to make sure I'm clear that I'm using wall textures on sectors like they were flats, I thought that wasnt compatible with Limit Removing...

Oh, you are right.

There isn't a lot of limit removing ports that supports Heretic, (G)Zdoom is the only one I know.

Good use of the dark grey metal textures in the shots. In my experience with Heretic editing, I found that you had to use those textures often to break up the same stone and flag textures everywhere. :P