Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Yet another misplaced "help with my hardware" thread

I'm using a Linksys 802.11b wireless router. Occasionally (like 0 to 3 times a day) all computers attached to the router lose all connectivity. I cannot ping the router from any device nor access any web location, although I can connect to or disconnect from its wireless interface at will. Power cycling (unplugging and plugging in) always fixes the issue (until the next time it happens).

Are there any routers out there that are known to not do this?

How interesting. I had an SMC wireless router that behaved very similarly. It used to die rarely by itself, but the connection was unstable from the ISP for quite some time, and, to reestablish it sooner, I had to login to router's interface, then click Disconnect and then Connect. So, quite often it stopped responding at the very moment I clicked Disconnect. Finally, I was pissed off by constant power cycling and the router was replaced (it was new, under warranty). Guess what router I replaced it with? Linksys :) And this one is all OK, no need to reboot, well I have to do it once in a week or so, but I think it's because the lousy connection, as everything's excellent when it is stable.

So, this probably doesn't have anything to do with a router brand, but is rather a problem of a specific unit I'd guess.

It's obviously not a router->Internet issue since I can't ping the router when it happens. Because the computer->router link is broken, and it's broken on more than one computer, the problem must exist within the router.

I would try upgrading the firmware if it's not already the newest version.

I have a feeling all consumer grade wireless routers are a bit flaky in some form or another. Go to any network hardware forum and you'll see complaints and praises for just about every model under the sun. You could try to wade through all the anecdotal evidence to find one you like, or maybe look into professional grade gear?

(All the complaints like this are why I've held off on any wireless gear)

I may have this very same router, and I have had more trouble with it than it's worth. I've exchanged one in through the mail at one point because the foreign technical support rep couldn't help me fix it. Most of the big bugs have been fixed, and now i just have to unplug and replug every couple days or so.

AndrewB said:

It's obviously not a router->Internet issue since I can't ping the router when it happens. Because the computer->router link is broken, and it's broken on more than one computer, the problem must exist within the router.

Yes, I understand. I wanted to say that the previous router had a very similar issue (I could not ping to it either) and after replacing the problem's gone.

I have a netgear wireless router that does that. It's getting replaced.

Don't get netgear.

Linksys isnt that great in the first place and Netgear is a joke. When it comes to wireless routers the only barnd that I have used is D-link. I have not had any problems with mine and I dont know any one that has.
Some of them can be a bit expensive but they are worth the extra cash.

http://www.dlink.com/

At my (family's) home we have a "BT Home Hub", which you connect to with BT-branded wireless routers (which i belive are actually made by Netgear, i'm not there at the moment) which routinely die and prevent that computer from accessing the internet (though it claims the connection is present, if you try and connect it either does nothing or says there are no connections, even though it is showing one). The solution is usually to turn the hub (not the computer) off for a few minutes and then back on, and then the computers can suddenly see it again