Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

Vista bashing

Got the upgrade disk for the Home Basic edition of Vista to solve that annoyingly pesky drag and drop problem that plagues all of the NT-kernel Windows OSs.
The drag/drop problem is gone! Took Microsoft almost 10 years, but they finally released an operating system that is potentially as useful to me as Windows98se.

Can't prevent Vista from displaying zip files as folders.
idiots, what an annoying 'feature'.

can't play DOOM because it cannot play a game in fullscreen (tried fiddling with compatibility and run as administrator, no dice)
can't play quake for the same reason
can play prboom, but the mouse/keyboard control is waaay fucked up
can't play q2 in anything but 320x200 software mode
can play fuhquake but it is really really slow
can play quake1.exe (not quake.exe) but there are no textures, etc... and it is superslow
I don't have any other games installed yet... (except HL, but that's not even worth trying)

test system: Pentium4 3.2 Ghz processor 1Gb RAM, nvidia6800 gfx

Please post the benefits/shortcomings of Vista here if you have used it... thanks.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Have you tried zdoom or jdoom?

not yet... I assume they would respond similarly to prboom.

another tiny plus: you can format a partition with Fat32(over 32Gb) in the GUI.

Is it possible to do a dual-boot config with different OS's on two different drives; XP on one Vista the other? If that is possible that's how I planned to upgrade in a couple yrs for DX10 (if it takes off). Since the DX10-gen cards (at least this first line) are compatible with DX9 the VGA dept. isn't a problem with upgrading different OSs.

About the compatibility problems you mentioned, I'd expect either a patch, service pack, or emulator (official or not) like DOSBox.

Hope you don't have an HP printer or scanner...

I haven't used the release version, but I evaluated some of the earlier ones for work. Overall, I found it harder to get around in and annoying that it asked me permission to do every single little thing I needed it to do. It was enough to make my boss swear that our department is going all-Mac when the time comes around to upgrade. I almost used Vista at the store yesterday...my plan was to change the desktop's resolution to 640x480 with an 8-bit color depth, and then change the screen saver to Marquee. The text would have been "www.ubuntu.com". But I had to get back to work :^)

DeumReaper said:

Is it possible to do a dual-boot config with different OS's on two different drives; XP on one Vista the other? If that is possible that's how I planned to upgrade in a couple yrs for DX10 (if it takes off). Since the DX10-gen cards (at least this first line) are compatible with DX9 the VGA dept. isn't a problem with upgrading different OSs.

wise man. that is exactly the problem(with the games anyway)
and yes you can dual boot.

Opulent said:

Can't prevent Vista from displaying zip files as folders.
idiots, what an annoying 'feature'.

I feel your pain. This is in my list of top ten worst features ever<sup>*</sup>. I see that a solution is suggested here:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/windows-vista/107284-heres-how-disable-zip-folders-windows-vista.html

Can't verify, as I don't have Vista, and probably won't for quite a while. But I have seen posts from other people thanking him for this fix and saying that it worked fine.

Regarding mouse control on prboom, the current prboom-plus test version has changes/improvements in the mouse handling that don't rely on Win32 stuff, so it would be interesting to know if that helps in Vista.

----------------
<small>* In case you're wondering, number 1 in this list was ChessBase 6 automatically erasing (not even just deleting) a file called whatever.doc when you create a database called whatever.cbh</small>

can't play xyz in fullscreen etc

Ha, I thought vista got rid of that. :-/. Anyway what you do is you disable that aero glass shit mode and make it look like classic windows. Then give zdoom a try again.

Fortunately Vista has so few benefits over its predecessor that we'll be able to tolerate not having it for many years to come.

I can only imagine that Vista extends the shitty, obstructive, "helpful" and plainly ridiculous 'features' of IE7 to the entire OS. I always considered Macs to be bizarre, arty computers that don't run a load of games*, and Linux to be for attention-seekers, but what i've heard about Vista in less than a WEEK after its release is making me seriously consider an Ibook or build-your-own PC i can stick Linux (well, Lindows, same interface but it does what you tell it) on when upgrade time comes around (which won't be for ages anyway)

*"Click" and RPG Maker games, before you point me to Mac Doom ports

Heh... I screamed at 3.1, I screamed at 95, I screamed 'whats the point' at 98 and ME, I only upgraded to 2000 when every other option was exhausted, and by the time XP was on my computer, I didn't really give a shit about my computer any more.

Now I use Linux, with the overly eccentric image app 'The GIMP', a pair of decrepid 3d modelling tools and various open source games that will probably keep me occupied taking them apart for another 10 years. I don't even notice the industry anymore, I'm just vaguely aware of its prescence. It certainly never did anything useful for me :P

The most noticable thing that comes to mind with Vista is the ability to use a web browser from any documents, although I don't really see the point of this unless your too lazy to open up internet explorer in a seperate window.

This option was implemented by Microsoft so that people can use it's own web browser, and not others like Google. It sucks.

Microsoft did stuff like this in the past with other companies like Netscape and 1-2-4 Lotus, and they are out of buisness. So cause of Vista, Microsoft and Google are going to be in some serious competition.

The OS itself works decently enough for me, but yeah I had a lot of problems with games. For whatever reason i'd get buggy/flickering gfx with pretty much any dx9 game, and OpenGL games would stutter quite a bit. I'm sure it'll get better over time though.

SlayeR said:

I'm sure it'll get better over time though.

Probably at the expense of me, and other people who scorn it no less :P

Quasar's article said:

"Microsoft's daylight theft of our freedoms"

Microsoft has stolen our freedoms?

They've stolen my sanity. Every single upgrade to their operating system is just a means to stealth more restrictions on to your computer. To date, the only reason I haven't thrown it in the bin is because apparently such things are easy to circumvent... activation for example. I don't seem to remember every activating any copy of XP I've had, heh. In fact, most of the advertised features that ship with any Microsoft OS have been the first things I try and disable.

At one point in time, it just worked, and stayed in its corner, and was trying to be a good, polite and well mannered little child. Now its a monster, and needs to be ousted from home!

Apparently by releasing an product that doesn't allow us to do everything we want to do, they've stolen our freedom.

Is that supposed to be sarcastic or serious?

The product doesn't do what we want. We should use the product.... why?

Well, looks like my freedoms are intact.

chilvence said:

The product doesn't do what we want. We should use the product.... why?

Who knows? That is up to the consumer to decide. If you don't like said product, don't use it. Simple.

I want to hold off on using it, but from what I hear anything using directX10 will require vista.

What is Microsoft's aversion to backwards compatibility?