Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

Vista bashing

I just upgraded to xp (from ME *shudder*)last year. it was crap when my mom gave it to me after she got a new one and now it's runnin pretty good. I'm not even thinkin of goin vista. I don't even think this computer could take it. anyway, I say if your good with what you got why upgrade.

I've never seen the point in upgrading before I absolutely have to. I ran Win98se for 6 years without any major problems and would happily have used it for another 6 if it weren't for the fact it can't support more than 768mb of RAM without choking on it. Stories of blue screens and random crashes are either greatly exaggerated, or told by idiots who fucked up their PC by doing something incredibly stupid.

Even though pretty much everyone on the face of the planet will think I'm completely wrong, 98se will probably be the best operating system MS ever release. It all goes downhill from there.

I've got 2k now and will desperately try to make that last as long as possible before "upgrading" again, since XP seems to go out of it's way to piss me off at every available opportunity. I'm positive Vista will be even worse, although I can't even begin to grasp how, since I really fucking hate XP.

Also, Penny Arcade = win

DooMAD is wrong. While I was certainly reluctant to move on from Win98 due to its great all-around compatibility, it was a highly unstable OS that leaked memory something crazy. It also is a writeoff for NTFS, which prevented me from performing large backups to the machine, which ultimately made me dump the OS entirely.

XP is MS's greatest accomplishment because it marked the first time that system stability was brought to the home user market. (2000 was stable but it was for the business market.)

Well this new os has a few security flaws that need worked out, namely with its voice recognition software. supposedly it can take vocal commands under certain circumstances from mp3's and such (witch they claim thats the malicious part of it -email attachments and messages hidden in music lmao) and perform such tasks as deleting files/folders.. Source

Im sure there is a special set-up for this to actually work as microsoft claims, just like the numerous succesfull attemps that have allready been achieved. but besides all that, us pc'ers get to finally live in the mac world! Source

I didnt upgrade right away to XP myself, waited about a year i think. something will come out that requires it then ill get it, maybe by June. hopefully all the bugs and driver issues wil be worked out by then.

Go Vista.
-yay

DooMAD said:

...and would happily have used it for another 6 if it weren't for the fact it can't support more than 768mb of RAM without choking on it.

Well, this limit is 512mb (that is, more than that causes problems). But there are unofficial packs that overcome this barrier and, say, 1 gig is no problem. There's even a kernel update project which allows to run some XP-only software, like Doom3 or Movie Maker. Hardware is another issue, as now most of it only suports 2000 and up. Well, I think I won't have to upgrade yet for some time to come.

DooMAD said:

Stories of blue screens and random crashes are either greatly exaggerated, or told by idiots who fucked up their PC by doing something incredibly stupid.

Bullshit! One of the most egregious problems I had with 98se was the fact that it would freeze when I quit from Starcraft's multiplayer. You also went playing different games in one session at your own risk, as the more intensive programs you used to more likely the system was to crash.

There also was a wonderful random BSOD which would require you to CTRL-ALT-DEL a couple of times until the task manager could be brought up and you killed another MS program that was running in the background and froze (I can't recall the name of it at the moment).

On another computer 98 couldn't remember the video card drivers when you rebooted.

I do have to say that without the bugs Windows 98 was my favorite Windows OS, as it retained support for DOS but was fast and easy to use. Still, for everyday use XP is lightyears ahead, especially as you can turn off the sparkly crap if you want to.

Grazza and Donce: Those are considered features by Microsoft, they wouldn't change those.
Probably the top of the list(besides the drag/drop one) is the default action on a download in IE is 'cancel'. Someone please kill the lead system designer who chose that.

The interface for loading the game disks i used to have for me BBC micro had legendary stability too. You typed "Start Disk" and it listed the games next to letters, and you pressed the letter to play! not a blue screen or "are you sure?" in sight!

personally, I made the decision a few years ago to try and REALLY move over to Linux when Vista came out. I'd keep XP on a drive for Windows only stuff, but I really want to avoid Vista as much as possible. So far, I am 99% of the way there. I have a separate drive with Ubuntu, which I use, but I still use XP predominantly. The main reason is because of iTunes. I need to convert all my music to de-drmed music before I'll fully switch over. There are a bunch of programs which people are releasing on the hymn-project.org messageboards, but unfortuantly, they are still buggy and I dont have much luck with them (some do, some dont). I can occasionally convert a few songs but most of the time I get errors. Anyway, I may eventually need Vista when I'm at college next year because I'm majoring in computer science as of now, but then again, a lot of schools use Linux or Mac predominantly so who knows. Maybe I can get away with XP. Either way, I'm trying to make Windows a smaller part of my life, and migrate all my documents and files over to Linux and find alternatives to the software. I can already run Doom 3 on Linux a million times better than on Windows, and its the same machine, dual boot, so it has nothing to do with hardware. The fact is, Doom 3 can be run at insanely high quality with a great FPS on Linux and can be run at a regular quality with an okay FPS and random reboots every hour or so as Windows chokes on the nvidia drivers on Windows XP. Same hardware, same system, different OS.

Vista is über expensive in Europe. Microsoft is doing economical dumping.
And Vista is bloated.
Except this, it seems a good version of Windows but I won’t buy it nor pirate it.

Donce said:

I'd add one more: if you rename a file to a name that already exists, can you finally have the option to overwrite it by renaming? Ok, one more still: if you copy or delete a bunch of files and operation fails at some moment (like file being used), can you still continue skipping that particular file? Hmm, I guess it stayed the same. Not that I'm gonna upgrade from win98, just curious :)

Don't know about the clock for Daylight savings or disabling the file extension dialog...
just to set the record straight:
- you can disable the zip folders -- probably can be done with MMC too
- it doesn't let you format a FAT32 partition over 30Gb(or whatever)
- it DOES prompt you with file overwrites... with a size comparison dialog (keep, overwrite, don't move, even rename as <file>(2).<xxx>).

stupid enhanced color desktop has to switch to "Windows Basic" mode to play a video. ???

I installed Vista today. Doom runs just fine in Zdoom, but Doom Builder is another story. I cant open any wad without receiving this error. I think it has something to do with it not finding the Iwad, because I get the error after the screen where you choose the map to edit and its configuration:

"Error 75 while loading map: Path/File access error"

Does this on every wad, and I dont know how to fix it. Fucking blows because now I wont be able to finish neither my community chest 3 map, heretic map, or even my Noob Project 5 map. Shit. Does anyone know a possible solution?

The times that I've gotten that have been because I'm not an admin on my other computer, and the Doom Builder files were extracted under the admin account.

Tango said:

The times that I've gotten that have been because I'm not an admin on my other computer, and the Doom Builder files were extracted under the admin account.

Ahh I think that answered my question. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, did I mention Vista is a no good piece of shit? It is supposed to have the Maximum security, and oh believe me its got security alright. I think having a virus is better than having this much fucking security on my computer. This "Operating" system is way to fucking hard to use. My shit is randomly placed from folder to folder because my computer thinks im some foreign intruder trying to hack shit. Damn it.

Although to be perfectly honest, the fact that you can easily upgrade a pc only amounts to developers practically expecting you to upgrade it on a yearly basis. Frankly, they can choke to death.

My last pc 'upgrade' was essentially a downgrade to a less powerful laptop. I've barely touched my tower since, and even then only because it happens to be the guts of a Mame arcade cabinet now... I kind of donated it to my flatmate who had bought a load of authentic buttons and a couple of sticks - the kind that click :)

I'd have been smarter if I had bought a Macintosh laptop. You'd never have got trouser burn off a dinky little iBook. I think as soon as Apple make a tablet mac, I'm gone for good.

From an email in my junk account...
It's time to get a Mac. If you're thinking of upgrading to Vista, you'll probably need a new computer. Why not get a Mac? It's simpler, more secure, and way more fun. And it works with the stuff you already have, like printers and cameras. So before you upgrade anything, you owe it to yourself to check out a Mac.

Apple.com

Great I'll just install all my old Gam.... Hay... wait a minute NONE of my stuff works!!

I guess... why would I buy Mac... to install Windows... just to use as my primary OS?

Curious, I just noticed the line "more fun". All I picture is Abe Simpson and Jasper sitting around looking at a Mac saying "I don't feel any more fun, how about you?" "Meh a little." And with Job's dedication to ensuring the Mac does NOT become a gaming machine... that doesn't sound very fun to me... at least Linux is TRYING.

edit: Oh SNAP! WAY more fun!

Scuba Steve said:

I guess... why would I buy Mac... to install Windows... just to use as my primary OS?

Why would you buy a pc just to install Windows as the primary os :P .

You wouldn't really anyway, you'd buy a Mac because its pretty much any old computer nowadays. Apart from the fact that someone actually put some thought into the design.

I don't know, why don't you take a detailed analysis and relative comparison of system specs and capabilities and work it out, instead of asking me, like I give a crap?