Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Finer details with Doombuilder

Is there any way to make Doombuilder NOT stitch vertexes that are closer than 2 grid units together? E.g. if I want to make 1-pixel wide details or such fine details will be lost anyway to the BSP ?

I wondered the same thing. It's not often I work that small, but when I do the only way I've found to deal with it is stretching the area out, creating what I need large, and then making it smaller once it's finished.

Oh Me ME! *Raises hand* I know!

all you have to do is use the undo button when your vertecies stich. Yeah, its annoying...

That or Rones idea works as well.

Or if you are trying to get a sector in the middle of another small sector, try drawing it bigger than moving the linedefs and undoing the stiches one by one as you move the lines

Actually there is. Just go to the config menu under the editing tab and change the stitch vertices range values. If your working with wide open areas, I recommend using larger values. The more precise the work, the smaller the stitch vertices value.

Maes said:

E.g. if I want to make 1-pixel wide details or such fine details will be lost anyway to the BSP ?

Like Quasar said, not usually lost, but they can be problematic. For example if you have a bunch of these together, there's a good chance of a diagonal BSP partition line will hit them, requiring a split. But the resolution of the standard NODES is the same as VERTEXES, i.e. 1 pixel units, hence some segs can end up as "degenerate" (the term I use in glBSP code) meaning the start and end vertices are the same. glBSP detects this and removes them (otherwise they can crash the engine).

It can actually happen with any length of line (a certain partition line just snips the end off), but with lots of really short lines in a map it's much more likely to occur. To pimp glBSP some more, glBSP detects this when evaluating partition lines and gives that line a negative weighting, making it less likely to be chosen. This helps to prevent slime-trails.

It isn't that big a problem for GL-Node ports since the resolution for seg split vertices is 16 fractional bits.

I made rows of 1 point wide sectors to simulate otherwise inexistent switches, like that green gargoyle head, by unpegging. It was done under the WinDEU editor and node builder, and it had no visual side effects. Then again, the sectors were 64 units tall and 1 unit wide, horizontal and vertical but not slanted.