Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Imps On A Plane

Anyone with a list of all the systems Doom runs on, now you can add "Airbus A320". Virgin America, the new branch of Virgin Airlines that should start operation once the government decides to stop being xenophobic competition-hating despots, has put up a video showing off their In-Flight Entertainment System, which among other things includes what looks like PrBoom complete with the rainbow of multicolored status bar numbers. Really what is up with that anyway? And the option to have kickback when you fire weapons, seriously has anyone ever in history said "hey this is a neat option I will leave it on"? Anyways so there you go. What's that you ask? Is there any real Doom news? No, sorry.

While the IFE explanation was interesting in itself, when he first said 'doom', my eyebrows went up liek a dog raising its ears after hearing its name. it plays doom.

It's not really the plane itself running the game, but rather a server with Virgin's implementation of a Linux platform.

Anyway, does anyone else think that Doom was running rather slow? It's a 13 year old game, you'd think it would run better. :P

Portable USB Keyboards eh? I give it a few weeks before those all go missing or get broken. The touch screens might last a few months if they're lucky. And yes, Doom did look particularly choppy and slow.

At least they're making an effort, I suppose. Long haul flights do get a bit tedious and most airlines I've flown with could do a bit more to keep passengers occupied. The whole 'insert credit card here' thing bothers me a bit though. In flight entertainment and food should be complimentary, to an extent at least. They weren't really all that clear in the video about what's free and what isn't. Also, what about passengers who don't have cards?

Well, that doesn't make it any less strange to me. Though I guess the fact that they're also working on space travel kind of eclipses it. I think at some point they're going to change their name to UAC.

I didn't know what you were talking about at first. I didn't see a second head, and I haven't seen the film version.

But yes, I can see what you mean.