Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

help this poor illiterate doom fan...

After being away from doom for a while, I stumbled on the hacx site and got sucked in again. So I found a copy of Doom II and loaded it up. Hacx refuses to acknowledge my legally installed version of Doom II. Is it because it's Doom II for Windows 95? I've tried renaming the folder and .exe to doom2, but hacx still won't install.

This sucks. Zdoom is fun, but I want more. Oh, another stupid question. If I get more .wad files, can I just specify what .wad file I want the doom II engine to run via the doom II/windows95 configuration menu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mitch

"drag racing is much easier"

But say, for the sake of argument, all I have right now is Doom II and Final Doom for Win95. Any ideas on how to get hacx to work?

Thanks.

Mwahahahaha, Doom95.... GAHAHAHAHAHA

OK, you're lucky to get a single-level WAD to work with that pathetic excuse for an upgraded engine. Go to the ZDoom page and download v1.22, it's one of the most compatible engines you'll find to run Doom add-ons. Also one of the fastest.

I will give that a try. I program java, C and kornshell for a living, but a gamer I am not. I prefer attempting suicide at the drag strip with my 10 second Mustang hehehe...

I was forced into programming by a band of cannibalistic gypsies at a young age and have hated it ever since. But it pays the bills and lets the wife stay at home and raise the kids. I am the worst kind of gamer, I hit the "godmode" cheat codes and let 'er rip. No problem solving or "rubics cube" stuff for me, I just want instant gratification with a grenade launcher or chain gun (nail guns rock too).

I've gotten Hacx, Edge and Zdoom to work now, so I'm pretty much in nirvana. I would be interested in what you think are some of the best add on wads and where to get them.

Mitch

java.lang.boredom

Get Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, and Icarus by all means. They are classic megawads, the first of their kinds. The first good ones, anyway.

Get Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, and Icarus by all means. They are classic megawads, the first of their kinds. The first good ones, anyway.

Also Dimenstions of Time and The Twilight Zone, IMO.

Also Dimenstions of Time and The Twilight Zone, IMO.

Dammit, you forgot Requiem.

the wife

I'm so so sorry.

dont use doom95, doom95 is shit, use DOS doom or a port damn it!

Jeez, why don't you kill some people while you're at it?

OK, you're lucky to get a single-level WAD to work with that pathetic excuse for an upgraded engine. Go to the ZDoom page and download v1.22, it's one of the most compatible engines you'll find to run Doom add-ons. Also one of the fastest.

That's the one you use Lüt ? 1.22 ?

Well, I use Millennium wherever possible, but since that's not publicly available, the next best thing I'd recommend is v1.22. v1.23's betas are just too buggy for me, plus the way ZDoom has changed the gameplay just makes it a pain to play.

Well, I use Millennium wherever possible, but since that's not publicly available, the next best thing I'd recommend is v1.22. v1.23's betas are just too buggy for me, plus the way ZDoom has changed the gameplay just makes it a pain to play.

I'd never use Millennium regularly because of the stupid allegro problem I've ranted about at least a billion times on here.

plus the way ZDoom has changed the gameplay just makes it a pain to play.

What do you mean about that ?

I think he's talking about jumping and freelook, but I think those really enhance the gameplay.

I think he's talking about jumping and freelook, but I think those really enhance the gameplay.

Jumping is already in 1.22
I don't use it anyway 'cause it breaks some level progression.
I mean some keys, items and secrets can be reached easier with jumping (but it's a great idea)
I don't remember about freelook...

Well, the functionality is different, the controls and physics have been somehow altered. The most annoying thing is using the rocket launcher (or Phoenix Rod in Heretic), it scatters guys all over and pushes them off ledges and stuff. Basically makes it harder than easier. Just run around in doom/2.exe and do the same thing in ZDoom, you'll notice the difference in controls.

The most annoying thing is using the rocket launcher (or Phoenix Rod in Heretic), it scatters guys all over and pushes them off ledges and stuff. Basically makes it harder than easier. Just run around in doom/2.exe and do the same thing in ZDoom, you'll notice the difference in controls.

Ok, I see.
Punching monsters is much harder too I've noticed.

Well, the functionality is different, the controls and physics have been somehow altered. The most annoying thing is using the rocket launcher (or Phoenix Rod in Heretic), it scatters guys all over and pushes them off ledges and stuff. Basically makes it harder than easier. Just run around in doom/2.exe and do the same thing in ZDoom, you'll notice the difference in controls.

I don't really notice anything, except for the stuff about the rockets...and that makes it even more realistic.

I've too noticed that the rockets push enemies off ledges, like in dead simple. Would increasing their mass with dehacked do any good?

It's Thanksgiving, don't you people have anything better to do???? ;)

Actually, I've been stuck here at work since getting paged at 5 friggin' a.m. this morning for computer system problems. So, I'm running jobs on UNIX/Sun Solaris and playing Doom II Requiem, thanks to the recommendations of my new friends here, hehehe...

Man, even on wimpy mode, there are far more enemies (and a lot more agressive) than regular doom. BTW, I saw a megawad (I think) fashioned after Stargate, but the site's ftp service was down. Anyone played it and is it worth the time?

God Bless and have a great day!

Mitch

It's Thanksgiving, don't you people have anything better to do???? ;)

Yeah, fake-sleep to avoid the people coming over.

if noones answered this question:
doom2 for win95 (ive got that) has a sub directory called doom2cd, you can install the dos version from there

[url]http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/mactools_2.html...for all your MAC DOOM needs.

Hey retard, close your URL.