Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

Doom disturbed me.

Spase said:

That building on fire was supposed to be a city back on Earth ravaged by the armies of Hell. The rabbit was explained in the episode 4 ending as being Doomguy's pet rabbit Daisy, who was decapitated by the demons.

That city looks so twisted and simplified, plus it's just sky-scrapers and no suburbs, until it's no longer a city (except in twisted current culture, probably Dali.)

I thought it's some kind of observatory, or a Big-Gun of some sort, or a chamber full of artifacts, similar to the enclosure in the center of E3M8.

Also, just another text doesn't give me much evidence to Daisy's fate. I think the rabbit was the Spider Mastermind, i.e. it stayed inside the brain, controlling every evil; by BFG-ing the Spider, Marine accidentally killed "his pet" rabbit. Maybe that's why we get to see such cute or nice cadavers of Daisy in the last two endpics. No clue how Daisy used to be his pet.

printz said:

Also, just another text doesn't give me much evidence to Daisy's fate. I think the rabbit was the Spider Mastermind, i.e. it stayed inside the brain, controlling every evil; by BFG-ing the Spider, Marine accidentally killed "his pet" rabbit. Maybe that's why we get to see such cute or nice cadavers of Daisy in the last two endpics. No clue how Daisy used to be his pet.

Wow. I have no idea how you could have thought of all that. Shows how a lack of exposition affects a storyline, or lack thereof. Maybe you're just more creative than me, I don't know.

Oh my, reading all this brings back some memories.....

I started playing Doom when i was 6. I don't think i was "disturbed" or traumatized by it though.. For sure the game scared me shitless, my biggest fear was places with flashing lights. Seeing all the demons and monsters for 0.1 seconds, then having to wait 2 seconds to see them again and hearing all the scary noises and seeing your health level go down all the time. Good memories :D

But i only ever had one nightmare when i was about 7; i saw myself lost in some sort of labyrinth with my best friend, and we knew there was a cyberdemon around. Eventually we came on to a dead end, heard the cyberdemon getting closer, then it coming in front of us and blowing us into pieces with the rocket launcher. It might sound bad but actually i didn't even consider it as a nightmare as such, i thought it was actually a cool dream in some way!?

Doom wasn't really such a disturbing experience for me,it was just an incredible feeling playing it, it felt like going out of this world. There was a feeling of something very sinister and dark in it but that's what was so cool about it. I don't think it f-cked my head in any way though. =)

Spase said:

Wow. I have no idea how you could have thought of all that. Shows how a lack of exposition affects a storyline, or lack thereof. Maybe you're just more creative than me, I don't know.

No. It's merely a cynical thought of mine, recently brought up, inspired from a first motion picture based on a really famous cartoon series from the 60's and 80's. As a matter of fact, I DID think back then that the bunny has some connection with E3M8. But it was just a wild guess and I was about 6 and I was watching another one playing Doom (I wasn't daring), mind you.

As a kid, my older brother used to play Duke3D and Wolfenstein, but we never actually owned Doom. I used to find the Wolf status face a bit unnerving Naturally.

But, seeing as I've grown up since those days, Doom never had a vhance to traumatise me.
Being Stuck on Doom II's Map09 for an hour and a half at 2AM kindo f unsettled me, especially having to walk through my house in the pitch Black to get to the bathroom straight afterwards. Walking through your house slowly and checking nothing's gonna jump out at you is a sure sign you should stop playing and go to bed.

I played Doom 64 for the first time recently, and it scared the living hell out of me. Never expected anything like that. The music really got to me in that one.

And the Cherubs from Doom 3 give me nightmares. I'm not joking. I still have them.

And in a slightly different dream (not really a nightmare), I was hearing E3M9's music sung by a latin chorus, in latin (or it sounded like latin, anyway). I was fighting a Spider Mastermind, but here's the weird thing: there was no sound other than the music. No gunblasts, no roars of fury or pain, just that music...

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

And in a slightly different dream (not really a nightmare), I was hearing E3M9's music sung by a latin chorus, in latin (or it sounded like latin, anyway). I was fighting a Spider Mastermind

The music from Warrens/Military Base/Fear (secret levels) or from Dis (E3M8)?

Doom's enviornment is too cartoony to be scary. But they remade the atmosphere in the PSX, N64, and Saturn ports, so those can give you the chills at times.

Seriously, which background music would you find more creepy:

PSX Music
PC Music

DJShrimpy said:

Seriously, which background music would you find more creepy:

PSX Music
PC Music

hehe. But you have to admit there's some proper creepy music in the original Dooms. Not nearly all of the tunes are action-movie style heavy metal / rock.

DJShrimpy said:

That's just background sound as for Quake or Doom 3. Not quite musical. Doom 3's installation screen sounds a lot like this song.

Doom never disturbed me. I always thought it was cool.

First time I played Doom I was 6 or 7, me and my sister would watch Dad play it and then played it ourselves. To me, Doom was an adventure in gameplay as much as the dreams and nightmares I had after playing it. I hated the way all the zombies would groan when they die, and the way you could hear someone breathing when they're close to you but can't see you. And the worst thing? In the Russian translation of Doom that I had for a few weeks they called out for their mother when they died.

The dreams and nightmares were anything from me being torn apart by zombie guys to me drinking wine with the E1M8 Barons... I remember after that I completely fell in love with the Barons and had them as my imaginary friends or something.

Yeah, now that I think of it, Doom DID mess me up.

printz said:

The music from Warrens/Military Base/Fear (secret levels) or from Dis (E3M8)?

Damn my clumsy fingers...

Military Base, the one where you fight the Barons. Or the first level of "Thy Flesh Consumed." Seriously, in a latin chorus, it's bitchin'. Just imagine it.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

Military Base, the one where you fight the Barons. Or the first level of "Thy Flesh Consumed." Seriously, in a latin chorus, it's bitchin'. Just imagine it.

Its not military base, its Phobos Anomoly (E1M8) you're thinking of. Or House of Pain (E3M4).

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

Military Base [Phobos Anomaly], the one where you fight the Barons. Or the first level of "Thy Flesh Consumed." Seriously, in a latin chorus, it's bitchin'. Just imagine it.

I don't think it should be difficult to find a similar chorus in Latin.

Disturbing in the sense of scary...bah, practically never. OK, so when I saw that barrels and rockets gibbed zombies and imps I was like "OMG LOL WTF LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM! EXTREEEME!" but that didn't last much (heh, not even Postal 2 lasted much longer).

However I did dream of Doom or of Doom-like ambients and situations sometimes. They looked like a cross between Doom and a real life...let's say somewhat like a hi-res, advanced source port would look :-) Then there's ofc the dream with the Archvile that kept following me and danced weirdly behind me....

However the most disturbing thing was playing back DSPLPAIN in reverse :-) It sounds like someone having a hard time in the bathroom, and I'm almost convinced that this is what they actually recorded, and that it only sounds like a pain sound when reversed ;-)

Doom never did actually terrify me but it did creep me out. The pinkies demons really did creep me out when I was 3 years old. Just the yellow eyes and the speed :O and then those big jaws coming down to munch your face. And for the record Icon of Sins music is the most evil sounding music I have ever heard. But the music that creeped me out the most was e1m8. I still can't listen to that at night in the dark.

What wonderful irony, you play one of the most violent games in history only to be terrified by a rabbit...

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

Perhaps you should break out your copy of ultimate doom....

dont quite remember how old I was, I think I was about 6...

my bro was old enough to play the game, and I snuck into his room (unbeknownst to my mom) and watched him play the Spider Demon battle. That night I could've sworn I heard the rattling machine parts of the Spider Demons legs.

It turns out that it was just wind going thru the gutters.....or was it....O_O

What made Doom really "scary" was perhaps that it was the only 3D game at the time that could actually immerse the player into its world, plus the GFX, music and sound kicked ass. The fact that such a game existed and was playable in 1994 was scary enough :-)

Doom never really "scared" me, it just affected me in ways that I never really recognized until I was asleep. Only the bunny really made me jump.

When I was like 8, my friend Tim came over and brought the first demon copy of Doom, thought it was fun, and then later when I got the real version with Ep 4, I played through Shores first, and one thing that scared me there was the Spidermastermind, it's screech just bout made me hide, but then hitting Ep 3, I pretty much hid when I heard the goat legged metal rocket skyscrapr- CyberDemon, I just left, I mean that was scary as hell, but now I still get kinda alittle skiddish, the Cyber still gets me, but not as bad, It does leave me 1/4th defenseless since I try getting away from it.