Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom_master1122

i need major help with this program

i figured out how to get textures for walls and floors (flats), but now. i want to know... how do i edit the monsters look, such as turning an imp into a monkey or edit ay of the sprites to change them. and how do i change like the title screen pic and everything else thats under graphics.

i still have no clue on how to use this program
help please?

What you are trying to do is import lumps into a WAD. Both of these: Entry|Load, and rename the entry to the appropriate name. That's very easy to do with XWE in my opinion.

If you are making your WAD for plain Doom/Doom2, the title should be an entry called TITLEPIC. However, if it's for another port like EDGE, you would have to name your lump differently (IIRC). The imp is made up of lots of lumps, all named TROO** (e.g. TROOA1 for the first frame). For ZDooM though, you could import your sprites under a different name, and use the decorate lump to create a new monster. I guess what you are looking for is a guide to Doom editing, perhaps an editing guide to the specific source port you are using. This is not really part of XWE, there's no way I could document all the stuff for every possible thing you can do with XWE for every possible source port, plus it's been documented elsewhere.

I hope this helps! I wish this distinction was more clear to the users - XWE is just the tool like a hammer. If you have a hammer, it's easy to learn to use it, but you wouldn't complain to the hammer manufacturer that the included documentation doesn't tell you how to build a gazebo.

ok so let me see if i understand this. i take my sprites and i name the the EXACT thing they are named inn the program. such as i think demon is SARGA1 i think so i name my remade demon and name him thhat and import it into my homemade wad? now does this work for zdoom also?
i mean i dont want to make a new demon i just want to change whats there. lol. and the same goes for title sccreen and everything to right?

Doom_master1122 said:

i want to know... how do i edit the monsters look, such as turning an imp into a monkey or edit ay of the sprites to change them. and how do i change like the title screen pic and everything else thats under graphics..... i mean i dont want to make a new demon i just want to change whats there.

What you're asking for appears to be two separate things. First, to change "an imp into a monkey or edit any of the sprites to change them" you will need to use a graphics editing program (not XWE) and you will need a lot of talent. If, however, you already have the sprite frames (sequential graphic images) of your monkey, then you can use XWE to import the replacement graphics and use them instead of the imp sprites, as Csabo explained.

To replace the other graphics simply do the same thing you would for the sprite replacement.

Yes, you are correct. Just import them into your own WAD with the correct name, and Doom/Doom2/ZDoom will use your sprite instead of the one from the IWAD. Same with TITLEPIC (or any other lump you override).

thank you very very much... i finally got it... now i made a sprite in paint and saved it.... then i uploaded it, and i has a whiet background on it, so when i see my monster,i get the monster and a white background around him... =/ how do you remove it?
thanks you so much, i dont want to cause you any trouble or grief lol.
im trying my best here lol.

Make sure you color the background that you intend to be transparent with cyan (RGB 0,255,255 or #00FFFF) pixels. When imported, those pixels will be transparent.