Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

what keeps you up at night?

this was inspired by the "what are you afraid of" thread back in 02 along with other "fear" threads since then. it seemed like a good idea, we'll see how this turns out...

the question here is: what keeps you awake at night? perhaps a random thought that comes in every now and then, maybe a fear, or, i suppose, a horror movie/story that you've seen/read; etc.

I found one that suits me awhile back when watching a movie. i forget the name but it was a football movie with Keanau Reeves in it. anyway, they were talking about their fears on the field and Keanau gave one that not only applied to football but to life as well. this was awhile ago, so my apologies if it isn't entirely accurate.

quicksand. no, not the stuff in jungles, but when you try to accomplish all these different tasks, you try to do so much, so many goals. you begin to struggle. you begin to sink as your goals and objectives pile up around you all at once, and you can no longer achieve success. you're in over your head. and there's no turning back. like quicksand.

something to think about, is it not? anyone else?

FP! w00t w00t!

I dunno, but at least once a month since I can remember I have a dream about having to do something important (save the world, fill out a form, whatever the dream world wants me to do) and I have to travel a great distance on foot to get there, but when I try to run to do it, I'm in slow motion and unable to get anywhere at all, much less complete the task. It doesn't keep me up at night, but it does fuck with my head.

What's weird is that up until two years ago, I had these reoccurring dreams about my cat dying, and it was my fault, and I could've saved him but I didn't get there in time. I had these dreams since I got that cat almost ten years ago. Then, two years ago, not long after I turned eighteen, I hit my cat with my car. Sure, it was my fault, but the bastard ran out in front of me, and he'd been suicidal since we got him, but that tends to bother me at night, especially if I've drank vodka.

Other than that, nothing bothers me enough to keep me up at night. I watch snuff films to make sure of that.

It depends.. some nights, it's all the schoolwork I have but that doesn't usually keep me up, as much as it makes me sleep restlessly. The problems in the world keep me up at night if it's been a bad day in world news, and sometimes fears about my future keep me up, such as my inability to really see myself in the future or imagine myself somewhere...I have ideas about what I want to do when in college and after college but I can't see myself there for some reason. Stuff like that.

The first "Doom" episode of Doctor Who did when that was on, the kitty does every other night when i'm at home. At Uni its usually my fridge, a huge ventilation thing on the roof which is loose and rattles when the wind is strong, or the fact there's NO BASTARD WINDOWSILL so the light from the multistorey car park gets in under the curtains

If I had to pinpoint one specific thing, I'd probably have to say my future.

And I get kept up at night. A lot. Sometimes I just can't make myself go to bed until 5 or 6 a.m., other time I'll go to bed at a reasonable hour and then wake up after like four hours of sleep for no reason. Then, of course, I take a nap in the middle of the day, which completely fucks up my sleeping pattern for the following night.

What I wouldn't give for sleeping from midnight-8 a.m. some night.

Windows Vista LongHorN [THINKING THAT I WON"T STAND ANY CHANCE, NOT THAT I ENJOY IT. NOW I HAVE XP]

When my code doesn't work. I once had a bad dream about not being able to debug some C++ code. Not in the sense that I saw myself hacking away at some code in the dream...but in the sense that I saw only an IDE window and the actual code I was working on inside it. I haven't had a dream like that sense, but when I can't figure out something in code, it bugs the hell out of me, and I end up having a restless night.

I probably shouldn't program between one and three AM.

Aliens, and their goddamn probes.

Also, I sometimes have horrible nightmares. Like the one where I was in a room made of flesh, standing knee-deep in blood and guts, surrounded by half-rotting corpses, when the corpses all began to rise and come after me.

Only the days in which I have to perform a recital the following day, because I keep thinking about the chances of a good performance and also about all the different things that could go wrong, etc.

I'm gonna add to mine.. since I already saw two people say this so I know it's not just me.

Code keeps me up. As Haruko said, I will sometimes be trying to fall asleep/shower/brush teeth etc. as my brain desperately tries to think of ways to code something or what could be wrong with something I've already coded. The same is with web design and HTML...I was designing a site last year and I had been thinking about it for way too much time and I was drifting off in history class as HTML and CSS actually streamed through my eyes while I tried to figure out what I should do.

Also I get sleep paralysis if my sleeping pattern gets fucked up enough. Like when I fall into a phase where I sleep for 4 hours a night and nap for 4 hours during the day.

I don't need to be "kept" at night. It's 3:30am now and I'll go to sleep soon just because it would be hard to get up earlier than late afternoon otherwise (it's weekend after all). I've been staying up at nights for about 15 years and that probably won't change. It's just that it's too hard to get up to work - I arrive to the office at around 11am these days, which is bad, and I'm often awaken by colleagues' phone calls, them asking "Hi, when you're arriving?"