Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KocaKola

Collectors Edition Doom?

I finally found my doom 2 game a couple of days ago, and I thought well with this new computer with windows XP it will work better than ever. Than the annoying DOS poped up when it was ready to install I put in all components (though it asked for so much I could of easily messed up during those thousands of times trying to install it) So I played it but every time I would shoot it would slow up and make the loooong sound, it did this also by doing other stuff. So basicly I couldnt played the game. So I was wondering if the DOOM collectors edition is made for newer computers and has a wizard instead of the annoying DOS thingy?

KocaKola

Oy yoy yoy........

REGULAR DOOM2.EXE WILL NOT FUCKING WORK WITH WINDOWS ME, 2000, OR XP BECAUSE NONE OF THEM HAVE DOS!!!!!! GET A FUCKING SOURCE PORT!!!!!!

Either that, or downgrade to good ol' Win98SE :).

In answer to the question asked....

Collectors Doom comes with the original Doom DOS executables and Doom95. While Doom95 is Win95 native, it has more bugs than DOS Doom and apparently mouse doesn't work in XP, so go get a source port (a whole list of them can be found here)

So I was wondering if the DOOM collectors edition is made for newer computers and has a wizard instead of the annoying DOS thingy?

You sir, are a WANKER! How can you say DOS is annoying? It's the best thing in the world!

So I was wondering if the DOOM collectors edition is made for newer computers and has a wizard instead of the annoying DOS thingy?

You sir, are a WANKER! How can you say DOS is annoying? It's the best thing in the world!

Agreed, but that thingy that comes with the new Windowses is a FUCKING MOCKERY OF THE TRUE DOS...I really hate it. We have to use it cometimes in my CMR class. Goddammit.

I'm curious. Is the TNT:Evolution wad updated with the yellow key in map 32 or did they use the same damn old iwad with it missing?

To whoever is annoyed by DOS: DOS is actually efficient you smegging goits!

I can use British insults too.

Depends on what you think of as "efficient".

Old-fashioned raw processing power.

I'm curious. Is the TNT:Evolution wad updated with the yellow key in map 32 or did they use the same damn old iwad with it missing?

Map 31 actually.

No, it hasn't been fixed. And no, the key isn't missing. It's there, but it's just that the key has the multiplayer item attribute on so it doesn't show up on single player.

--> agrees with everyone that DOS rock, and wizards / frontends / launchers / Windows suck.

--> agrees that people who call DOS annoying are lame

Windows ME does have DOS. It's just hidden, but can be purified by a patch, to behave just like Win98. NT/2K/XP don't have real DOS, though. But DOOM may still work with them.

--> agrees with everyone that DOS rock, and wizards / frontends / launchers / Windows suck.

DOS itself is a frontend / launcher. It is *NOT* a real operating system.

Windows 95/98/ME is a GUI for the DOS operating system... in essence, Win9X isn't an operating system as it sits on top of the DOS operating system... The Windows NT series IS an operating system though (it has nothing at all to do with DOS)

Sure, Win9X is 32 bit and that... there's a quote that goes something like Win9X is a 32 bit extension for a 16 bit GUI for an 8 bit operating system (somethin bout 4 bits) made by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition (someone fill in the 4 bit part, I couldn't remember it if my life depended on it)

I can use British insults too.

A Red Dwarf fan!! Hazzar!!

DOS DOS :) DOS :) DOS IS FUN!!! DOS I MY FREND!! SEPERATES THE NEWBIES FROM THE WISE!! TRUE DOOMERS USE DOS! (at last once...)

You yourself is an idiot / retard. You are *NOT* a human being :P

Windows is NOT an OS (well, NT, 2k, xp is) but 95\98 is just DOS SHELLS, that gives you a visual UI to do dos commands without typing.. pretty much

When you learn to work with DOS (compared to Windows) you get a much better understanding of what is a file, a directory, what memory, disk space, drivers, and all the other things really are. You have a much better understanding of how the computer really works.

agreed, to prove that windows9x needs DOS, if u really want to try. delete all the DOS stuff, but i dont think any of u are that stupid or want to try. I also here that XP is in a new 64 bit flavor, if so whats thaqt like. I know LINUX is 32 bit and in that i am learning for to use it in its original text based glory

Hey now, I never said I hated Windows. If anything, I'm all for user-friendly software, just so long the user has an understanding of how it works beforehand.

DOS, Windows and frontends, such as Norton Commander make the environment very user-friendly. Of course it crashes a lot, but it's hard to make something very compatible and yet very stable. I've stopped complaining long ago.

But if Win9x crashes and won't load, you're stuck with DOS, and you better know how to speak to it, if you want to make friends with your comp.

I don't even get Windows loading automatically (BootGUI=0)

Another interesting thing I noticed: if you type MEM/C/P, the system module in Win98 is called SYSTEM. In Win98SE, it's called MSDOS, just like in older DOS versions.

In Win9x your OS is basically one file, about 200-300K large, called IO.SYS. Try deleting it, or just moving it. Hehe.

Yeah, like DOS has a lot of that.

UGH, DOS's so choppy it's almost unbelievable. Raw processing power on a 16-bit enviroment? Please.

Yeah, like DOS has a lot of that.

Uh, it sure does. None of this crazy memory management/virtual memory/cached programs/etc. - consistency, no bloat. And doesn't crash to blue screens/lack-of-memory errors after running a load of programs or being on for more than 12 hours.

You yourself is an idiot / retard. You are *NOT* a human being :P

DOS IS NOT AN OPERATING SYSTEM BY ANY DEFINITION... GET OVER IT

To return to the title thread:
I'm really desapointed that collector's Doom will never be available in France & Europe...
I will buy it on the net I think, if it's possible without credit card...
Or I'll take my revenge with Return To Castle Wolfenstein !
(MMmmmmhhhhh =P)

DOS stands for Disk Operating System.

Why go through the trouble of inserting each individual graphic out of tons with wintex when you can whip up a batch file in under a minute and have dmgraph do it in a second? Windows has too much overhead sucking up memory. What exactly is Win XP accomplishing with that 256MB of ram it needs to run at full speed.

Uh, it sure does. None of this crazy memory management/virtual memory/cached programs/etc. - consistency, no bloat. And doesn't crash to blue screens/lack-of-memory errors after running a load of programs or being on for more than 12 hours.

You are fucking crazy. DOS's like twice as slow as Win95.

Windows is alot better for compatability (DirectX anyone? Who remembers fucking around with their config.sys and autoexec.bat for an hour to squeeze that extra kilobyte of memory needed to run a game out of your system?)... having said that, I still prefer to work with a command line than a GUI, and as a result the program I use most in Windows is command.com (for Win9X) and cmd.exe (for WinNT)