Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Zaldron you are way too conservative

You keep sayin, Doom 3 should stick to it's tried and true method of game play, no vehicles, no destructable terrain, no this no that. In other words, against anything "new".

Times change and so does games,

If there is a sniper rifle in Doom 3, I'll be glad, cuz sniper rifles are fun. Who cares if it isn't "doomish", if it's fun, that takes priority. I agree that a certain level of atmosphere is required for this game, but I dont feel that it should deter good innovations from surfacing in Doom 3.

I agree that a certain level of atmosphere is required for this game.

atmosphere.....a certain level ......a certain level .....hmmmmmm....go play tetris, that has a certain level of atmosphere. I NEED TENSION!

That's right. I'm very curious if Id is still able to create some good SP game. We will see in RTCW how well they can capture some SP atmosphere. I want the best AI ever! groups of soldiers working together!

Being in Europe I cannot play RTCW yet (10 days!!.

Can anybody tell if RTCW has TENSION or just a certain level of atmosphere

You keep sayin, Doom 3 should stick to it's tried and true method of game play, no vehicles, no destructable terrain, no this no that. In other words, against anything "new".

If there is a sniper rifle in Doom 3, I'll be glad, cuz sniper rifles are fun. Who cares if it isn't "doomish", if it's fun, that takes priority. I agree that a certain level of atmosphere is required for this game, but I dont feel that it should deter good innovations from surfacing in Doom 3.

You seem to have it all backwards.

Quite frankly the focus here is "scary", not "doomish". I want completely new monsters and weapons. I want some dialogue, some NPCs and interactive scripts. I want <MUCH> more than the traditional id gameplay. I want a very solid story transmitted through logs, computer terminals, dying people, documents and shit. I want twists in the plot related to all that UAC background we know little about. I want a solid inventory system, a couple of special functions on your armor suit, non-chained level flow, cutscenes, few enemies at the same time, and so much more.

I don't have a damn problem with a sniper rifle. Hell, if I don't want vehicles and terrain is mainly because :

1) Terrain enviroments aren't exactly scary.
2) Vehicles work on terrains.

Remember, it's not about being "fun", it's about being "creepy & fun".

I'm shocked you think I'm a puritan regarding DooM3. I've tried to make distance from those guys since day one. It's just that most of my opinions were lost in the software change.

Quite frankly the focus here is "scary", not "doomish". I want completely new monsters and weapons. I want some dialogue, some NPCs and interactive scripts. I want <MUCH> more than the traditional id gameplay. I want a very solid story transmitted through logs, computer terminals, dying people, documents and shit. I want twists in the plot related to all that UAC background we know little about. I want a solid inventory system, a couple of special functions on your armor suit, non-chained level flow, cutscenes, few enemies at the same time, and so much more.

zaldron, you are now my best friend...

looks like you're never played Doom before.

Glad to see there's people in here hoping for new features and complete revamps in certain areas of the game. You should see the kind of feedback we were having back in the begginning, way before the forum software change.

dude, if you want vehicles in the game, so why dont you go play Need for Speed or something, or you could just save it for Doom3 mods in the future. Screw that for the offical version

dude, if you want vehicles in the game, so why dont you go play Need for Speed or something, or you could just save it for Doom3 mods in the future. Screw that for the offical version

"dude", I want fun, read the post next time please

Fun does not necesarilly means vehicles. Believe me, if someone makes a mod of Doom3 with vehicles I'll be the first one in downloading it. It's just that id shouldn't waste resources in a feature completely unrelated to the game itself.

I think terrains could be used to make some damn scary shit... Ground covered in faces.. dead tress, people hung from them.. Eyes watching you from the shrubberies... And getting a wehicle to run away from all that :D

Fun does not necesarilly means vehicles. Believe me, if someone makes a mod of Doom3 with vehicles I'll be the first one in downloading it. It's just that id shouldn't waste resources in a feature completely unrelated to the game itself.

*sigh*

You may not like vehicles in fps but some people do. You are tailoring the game only to your tastes....
:rolleyes:

I dunno, some outside terrain would do good:
The lonely, cold outdoors of Mars (or its moons).
The creepy, firey, rocky waste of Hell.

And vehicles would be okay in small amounts. 'On a Rail' from Half-Life was pretty creepy. You never knew when something would jump out in front of you. The second episode of Duke Nukem 3D had a bunch of trams, and I actualy found that episode pretty creepy.

I think terrains could be used to make some damn scary shit... Ground covered in faces.. dead tress, people hung from them.. Eyes watching you from the shrubberies... And getting a wehicle to run away from all that :D

You don't NEED a whole terrain engine for that. You can do that with regular brushes.

A terrain engine is a bigassed mesh distorted with a heightmap in order to produce landscapes. They're as big as in Tribes or as in Halo. I just can't imagine why would DOOM need that.

I mean, some outdoor areas on Hell, yeah, I want them. But there's no need for 30 km^2 of rolling landscape. It's just not scary.

And Lengis, tell me how would you develop a scary sequence using some kind of futuristic Jeep travelling over Mars surface AND make it fitting with all the media we already saw from DooM 3.

It's like saying DooM 3 should sport air vehicles. It's a damn great feature, but it doesn't really make any sense.

Besides, we lack the CPU horsepower to render photorealistic terrain enviroments. Just take a look at Unreal2, by far the greatest archievement in terrain engines. It's too damn cartoony to keep consistency with the art design found in those cramped corridors.

And vehicles would be okay in small amounts. 'On a Rail' from Half-Life was pretty creepy. You never knew when something would jump out in front of you. The second episode of Duke Nukem 3D had a bunch of trams, and I actualy found that episode pretty creepy.

Those are not vehicles, but scripted brushes. And I'm OK with that, altough I kinda left unused that thing on HL.

*sigh*

You may not like vehicles in fps but some people do. You are tailoring the game only to your tastes....

I would say that you are tailoring the game to only your tastes as well. Zaldron does bring up a very good point. Even if vehicles are fun, where would they be used. Seriously think about this. Compare a movie that focuses on special effects with one that focusses on story. The movie with special effects throws in as much pointless displays as possible (*cough*Episode1*cough*), while the movie focussing on the story may have only mediocre(sp?) special effect but is ultimately better. I don't see any reason for Doom 3 to have vehicles... well maybe something like a forklift-like vehicle if there are the storage areas like in Episode 2- even though forklifts could be replaced with hovering palettes. The point is, vehicles are not required and they really would make much sense if forced into the game. I would rather the game be coherent than stuffed full of pointless "fun items".

*sigh*

I would say that you are tailoring the game to only your tastes as well. Zaldron does bring up a very good point. Even if vehicles are fun, where would they be used. Seriously think about this. Compare a movie that focuses on special effects with one that focusses on story. The movie with special effects throws in as much pointless displays as possible (*cough*Episode1*cough*), while the movie focussing on the story may have only mediocre(sp?) special effect but is ultimately better. I don't see any reason for Doom 3 to have vehicles... well maybe something like a forklift-like vehicle if there are the storage areas like in Episode 2- even though forklifts could be replaced with hovering palettes. The point is, vehicles are not required and they really would make much sense if forced into the game. I would rather the game be coherent than stuffed full of pointless "fun items".

Yep, good points. Besides, you can save your "fun" in doom3 mods later

as Zaldron and EllipsusD have pointed out that those kind of elements(vehicle and very large outddoor area) won't fit with DOOM.it is so true.maybe Qukae4 maybe more appopriate with these elements IMO.

edit:
sorry for the typo,anything else wrong with my english?

as Zaldron and EllipsusD have ppinted out that those kind of elements(vehicle and very large outddoor area) won't fit with DOOM.it is so true.maybe Qukae4 maybe more appopriate with these elements IMO.

LOOK MA, HE'S DRUNK!!!!

Someone should make an FPS where the point is to get into a car and run people over. Of course, the other people can jump on and shoot you while you're driving, but it would be hella cool.

Did I mention I'm the counterstrike Jeep-Crashing Masta'?

Grand Theft Auto 3? Grand Theft Auto 3??? It kept me up all night the other day before I had to go to work at 3:30 in the morning...I LOVED IT!!!

My initial desire was to have vehicles mostly for multiplay. And yes, vehicles would not distract from atmosphere in a multiplayer game, because it's not story line driven anyway.

And before you say that Doom 3 is singleplayer focused, you have to realize that it is not impossible to have a game focused on both and succeed in all aspects.

My initial desire was to have vehicles mostly for multiplay. And yes, vehicles would not distract from atmosphere in a multiplayer game, because it's not story line driven anyway.

And before you say that Doom 3 is singleplayer focused, you have to realize that it is not impossible to have a game focused on both and succeed in all aspects.

You're right, but you can clearly see on the VE's Carmack interviews that multiplayer is not a focus by all means. Seems like standard DM & Team DM, AFAIK.

Not really worried though, we all know how mods make the multiplayer scene for <ANY> game. Seems like the strong MP baseline's gonna be on Quake 4.

Is there any multiplayer mod like this for any game now? I'd like to know if there is...

Nope. Closest is prolly Bid For Power (Quake 3 mod), where u can fly in the outdoors.