Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
farhaven

question about BEHAVIOR lump

Hi people,

recently I became interested in zdoom scripting,but one question is bothering me since yesterday evening and I didn't find an answer to it:

Is it possible to attach a BEHAVIOR lump to a standard doom 2 map with a lump editor and will zdoom recognise it if the map is not in hexen format?

yours,farhaven

Guest DILDOMASTER666

No. If the map isn't HEXEN format, ZDoom won't read the BEHAVIOR lump regardless of what you do. Or something to that effect.

Actually, putting a BEHAVIOR lump after a Doom-format map would confuse most ports and probably cause them to crash after trying to load a Doom-format map as a Hexen one

(Hexen structures for lines and things are larger, and therefore it would read off the ends of the line and thing lumps and start loading garbage, unless of course the lumps just happen to satisfy the condition of having both the size of the Doom type and Hexen type as divisors, meaning the data would be read without an overflow, but each record read from the lump would be corrupted as it progressively overlapped with the actual records).

I'm going to work on a way to have ACS in Doom-format maps (enabled by use of ExtraData) in Eternity. I don't think zdoom plans to do anything like that.

Quasar said:

I'm going to work on a way to have ACS in Doom-format maps (enabled by use of ExtraData) in Eternity. I don't think zdoom plans to do anything like that.

Although you can load ACS via the LOADACS lump what's the point in exposing more complex ACS functionality to Doom format maps? There's absolutely nothing to be gained by it because there's no functionality Doom format maps have that Hexen format maps don't. But it necessitates having to invent convoluted schemes to fill in the missing fields from Hexen format maps that don't exist in Doom format maps.

EE already has the convoluted scheme, though -- ExtraData. Allowing association of ACS lumps with Doom-format maps doesn't require much more effort, given this system for specifying Hexen-format data already exists.

What's LOADACS exactly?

Quasar said:

What's LOADACS exactly?

It's a text lump you can put into a WAD to load ACS libraries with any level. It's mostly designed to have some ACS code accompany DECORATE monsters. All it contains is a list of ACS object code lump names.