Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plasticmanc

The Darkest Hour in zdoom gives numlumps error

Hi there,

Hate to be whinging about a problem with my first post, but the recommendation was on this site for The Darkest Hour as a good Star Wars conversion:
http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/2001.php

Having downloaded and run zdoom as it specified in the readme, zdoom works fine with my normal wads (in XP), but the DarkHour.wad flashes the hourglass and comes up with:
W_MapLumpNum: 4294967295 >= NumLumps

So can anyone help with this?

Grateful for any assistance you can offer,

Tim

According to the ini - ZDOOM 2.1.7 (r366), the latest off the zdoom.org downloads page.

I just tried the older one (1.22) and it gives me a GetNumForName error instead.

Would it make any difference that it's XP Pro?

It's annoying when stuff just doesn't work. Although I am fairly new to this so I might be making a stupid mistake.

Tim

Actually, skip the XP Pro comment.

I tried it on a XP "Media Center" PC as well - similar error (although the number may be different).

Version 1.22 is VERY VERY old, and Zdoom's backwards compatibility has gone down the crapper in recent times. The best thing to do is find out when Darkest Hour was made (from the text file) and then look in the archive of previous ZDoom versions (i think there's one on the site) and find the one that was the latest version when the wad was released. THEN it should work

deathbringer said:
Version 1.22 is VERY VERY old,

Not to mention that the WAD in question was made for later versions and 1.22 doesn't have all the features.

and Zdoom's backwards compatibility has gone down the crapper in recent times.

That's utter bullshit.

The best thing to do is find out when Darkest Hour was made (from the text file) and then look in the archive of previous ZDoom versions (i think there's one on the site) and find the one that was the latest version when the wad was released. THEN it should work

As I said, the version I downloaded from /idgames today works with 2.1.7. A long time ago there was a bug report concerning this WAD and it looked like there's 2 version of it floating around. Maybe the other one is broken. In any case, this error is caused by a broken WAD, most likely by incorrectly marked flat and sprite sections so old ZDooms will most likely produce a similar error - as 1.22 already does.

Hi again.

The zdoom site only appears to have two downloadable windows executables (the ones I've tried).

Thanks for your help Graf, but unfortunately the version of darkest hour I've downloaded from:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11385

(and I've used two different mirrors) does not work on any of the (now 3) PCs I've tried it on.

It's not anything to do with resolution or something is it?

Tim

No, it has nothing to do with resolution or anything else. The WAD contains a bug, plain and simple. Under normal circumstances ZDoom should be able to properly read the WAD despite this bug but apparently for you it doesn't. As I said, I can load it and start all the levels in it without a problem with 2.1.7.

To see what's happening, could you please post the startup log ZDoom produces? You get that as a text file by adding +logfile log to the command line. Maybe you are loading other stuff that in some way interferes with the code that tries to compensate for the problem.

And if you are using launchers to start ZDoom could you tell that, too?

Here's exactly what I've done.

Create a directory:
d:\doom

Download and extract:
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/darkhour.zip
(link off: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11385)

Download and extract:
http://zdoom.org/files/zdoom-2.1.7.zip
(link off: http://zdoom.org/download.html)

all into d:\doom.

Use command line:
D:\doom>zdoom.exe -iwad darkhour.wad
in cmd.exe

and....W_MapLumpNum: 4294967295 >= NumLumps
(this is on a PC that doesn't have the normal Doom Wads at the mo, but I've tried it on one that has)

If I use the logfile, I get:

Edit - Log no longer required.

You're loading it as an iwad.

Use -file darkhour.wad instead.

D:\doom\zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file darkhour.wad

plasticmanc said:

...so I might be making a stupid mistake.

Spot the newb getting his WADs in a muddle. I had tried that earlier but gave up when zdoom only gave me the IWADs to choose from, not darkhour. Didn't realise I wanted both. Also, if I choose my ultimate Doom IWAD, it just plays the Ultimate levels, with the Star Wars characters, etc.

All good to go now. Although it took me a couple of minutes to get out of the crate...

Tim

Try running it with Doom II. Darkest Hour is a patch wad, which means that it patches different aspects of the main iwad. It essentially replaces bits and pieces, but if those pieces aren't in the iwad (running a Doom II pwad under Ultimate Doom), then it can't find the lumps to replace or patch.

plasticmanc said:

Spot the newb getting his WADs in a muddle. I had tried that earlier but gave up when zdoom only gave me the IWADs to choose from, not darkhour. Didn't realise I wanted both. Also, if I choose my ultimate Doom IWAD, it just plays the Ultimate levels, with the Star Wars characters, etc.

All good to go now. Although it took me a couple of minutes to get out of the crate...

Tim

No, it didn't.

If you use the -iwad command line, ZDoom doesn't ask you what IWAD you want to use, because you already told it. So, for example, an Ultimate Doom PWAD would be loaded thusly (I'm using C drive as the example) : c:\doom\zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file lolz.wad