Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Planky

Paint Shop Pro'ing

I don't have Photoshop if you have to ask :>

To all the image manipulators out there, what would be the best way to remove the offwhite colors from around the edges without blurring/destroying the shapes? I am wanting to set the background as transparent so it looks OK on a gradient background (see http://planky.dyndns.org for what I mean - I'm redesigning my parents website).

I tend to use Photoshop's magic wand tool and/or paintbucket and pencil tool to fill in any off-color spaces. For this I'd just use eyedropper + paint bucket. Not sure how that compares with Paint Shop.

Wouldn't you have better luck posting this on a Paint Shop forum?

If you just cropped out the logo and pasted it onto an already tranparent background, instead of just trying to cut out the white itself, you would be getting much fewer white pixels, if any.

Thanks Exp, how did you do that?

Bucket said:

It could look a lot better if you want it resized.

Yes, it would do. It's going to be resized to fit on the page anyway.

GGG said:

Wouldn't you have better luck posting this on a Paint Shop forum?

Probably - but why bother when I know there are people here just as capable?

GGG said:

If you just cropped out the logo and pasted it onto an already tranparent background, instead of just trying to cut out the white itself, you would be getting much fewer white pixels, if any.

That's what I was trying last night although I thought there may have been an easier way to do it.

I used the gimp to set white to alpha. The result was translucent, so I created a new layer and pasted a copy of the original non-white parts over the top and stroked the selection with a 50% opacity 1x1 circle eraser to blend it.

What size do you need it?

EDIT: This is 275x200. It's a 24-bit PNG with an alpha channel. Unfortunately, the transparency smoothness leaves something to be desired. Nothing about the PNG itself, but more of a resizing issue.

Ah, so I need to learn how to use layers.

Bucket: 160x119, it's going in the box above the articles links.

OK, refresh your browser.

If you're curious, the resizing did all the work. I just got rid of the noise and dangly bits.

I thank you, my children thank you, my children's children thank you.

*brushes up on photoshop skills

Now the word "counterfeit" applies to software. This Orwellian culture we are creating is dangerous.

Web-safe colors stopped mattering in like 1996. So one visitor in 100,000 using a 256-color video card will come across his site and experience DITHERING! OH NO!

Planky said:

Just playing around with layers (yes, now I'm gimping) - why do I get a border around the logo?

#sidebar img { margin: 0; padding: 1px; background-color: #556076; border: 0px solid #394150; }
Either reduce the padding to zero or get rid of the background-color entirely, since that little bit of padding is allowing it to show through as if it were a border. And since the border itself is zero pixels wide, it probably doesn't need a colour or type, either.

And if you're using Firefox, get the Web Developer Toolbar, it's very handy...

Hah! I didn't even think about the padding causing it, d'oh. Would also help if I were looking at the right section in the stylesheet.