Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Giant Doomguy Face On A Building

I am not precisely sure why, but an Italian artist named Damiano Colacito recently created an art installation that consists of the Doomguy's HUD face projected onto a building. I guess this is art for some reason. Here's Colacito describing why he decided to use Doom for this project:

As you know, Doom is one of the first FPS and it is one of the first games in which the HUD - which was located under the main game area - featured an evolving portrait of the protagonist, Flynn Taggart, controlled by the player. The visualization of the HUD was justified by the translation of the data that Flynn was visualizing in his helmet - or in Gordon Freeman's miniature in Half-Life. That animated face functioned as a live recording of something that could not have been possibly represented otherwise: it was the evidence of the concrete existence of a man in such inhospitable gamespace. That small animation showed Taggart's cautiousness and vigor, joy and desperation. In a game of reference - between the subject of representation and the represented object - one could easily understand that the live recording made possible a complete identification between the avatar and the player on the other side of the screen.

Oh get off it, you just thought it would be cool to project a giant Doomguy head onto a wall.

__\/______
    /  /\    \ \
   / / /\\ \   \\
   |// | \ \ \\ |
   |/ _      _ \|
  || / \ \/ / \ ||
  |  \O/\  /\O/  |
   \|   |__|   |/
    |\_/n__n\_/|
    | | ____ | | 
    \ |/----\| / 
     \ \\__// /
      \______/

What a long-winded speech. Why didn't he just say "I had nothing better to do with my time and I decided I wasn't going to masturbate that day."

Still neat though. Go crazy Italian dude.

funnily enough when i brought up doomworld just now, before i even saw this newspost the random header image was the ouchface. heh.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

He must be a big fan, seeing has he read the novels ("Flynn Taggart"). Still, how is this art? :P

GGG said:

So that's what Flynn looks like.

AAAARGH! DOOM DUDE IS NOT FLYNN TAGGART.

Is this seriously? (the picture on wall)

Marty Razor Kirra said:

He must be a big fan, seeing has he read the novels ("Flynn Taggart"). Still, how is this art? :P

Anything can be art, technically.

EDIT : the title of this thread inspired me to write a poem, entitled "Giant Doomguy Face On A Building"

Giant Doomguy Face On A Building
Some Italian guy put you there
Why?
Absinthe is legal
It was trippy, man, and it totally blew his friends away
Why?
Because
It's fucking Giant Doomguy Face On A Building

Rather he should project real-time Doom, while playing it at his home office. So it becomes like a free game cinema, sort of.

ALSO: IS IT LEGAL TO PUBLICLY SHOW A PICTURE COPYRIGHTED BY ID SOFTWARE? (maybe it's not copyrighted, I'm just guessing)

printz said:

Rather he should project real-time Doom, while playing it at his home office. So it becomes like a free game cinema, sort of.

ALSO: IS IT LEGAL TO PUBLICLY SHOW A PICTURE COPYRIGHTED BY ID SOFTWARE? (maybe it's not copyrighted, I'm just guessing)

It's probably considered fair use. Plus, id probably doesn't give a shit. Technically, it's free advertising.

printz said:

When companies start suing because of things like this then the world has officially gone to hell.

Actually the damage-reflecting HUD face seems to be a feature taken from semi-3D dungeon crawlers of the late 80's and early 90's, the ones that inspired Carmack to write a 3D engine in the first place. id's use of the HUD face seems to originate with Catacomb 3D. As you take more damage in that game, your head slowly becomes a skull. This feature was carried over into Wolf3D, which is almost certainly how it got into Doom.

Torn said:

AAAARGH! DOOM DUDE IS NOT FLYNN TAGGART.

I know. I was being ironic.

Vegeta said:

Cool, but he just ruined it all with "Flynn Taggart".

Did he have any earlier names besides Marine, Doom Guy, Player and so on? Just as the Wolf3d Guy is B.J., so is Doom Guy Flynn Taggart. I don't know how the heck they got that name, it even got into spinoffs, like the cancelled-and-released Eternity TC.

I think it looks cool, but does the face change? That would look better if the projection changes the doomguy face in the different states.

Still, it's freaky to see a big picture of Flynn Taggart on an unfinished block in Sarajevo. It's not Las Vegas.

Dyne said:

I think it looks cool, but does the face change? That would look better if the projection changes the doomguy face in the different states.

Yeah, if you read the article, you'd see that it transitions from 100% to 14% of the course of the level, moving w/ getting shot and the like. The HUD face is from a gameplay recording, not just sprites playing in succession.

Yeah, this Flynn Taggart bullshit has got to stop - everybody knows that the doomguy's real name is John Grimm.

printz said:

Did he have any earlier names besides Marine, Doom Guy, Player and so on? Just as the Wolf3d Guy is B.J., so is Doom Guy Flynn Taggart. I don't know how the heck they got that name, it even got into spinoffs, like the cancelled-and-released Eternity TC.

It's the name they gave the character in the Doom novels. Since the original story is told in 2nd person, the player is supposed to represent the "Doom Guy". This was intentional, as Romero thought it'd better place the player within the game and allow people to define the character however they felt.

sargebaldy said:

Since the original story is told in 2nd person, the player is supposed to represent the "Doom Guy".

Maybe the artist's full name is Damiano "Fintagarto" Colacito.

If a bunch grandmas are going to see a projected face of a man that continually bleeds and revives, what could you possibly think about them?