Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr8

About Berserk Pack

What is the power of a fist punch with berserk ?
(When it's well placed right through a monster of course)
As powerful as a Shotgun shot ?

I can't get a real idea...

1 Ammo = 1 point of damage
1 BFG9000 = + 100 points
1 Berserk = 10 points
1 Cell (Plasma Rifle) = 2 points
1 Punch = 2 points
1 Rocket = + 20 points
1 Shotgun = 7 points (fires 7 pellets at 1 point per pellet)
(not every pellet will hit every target)
1 Super Shotgun = # 14 points (fires 14 pellets)

then again it says a super shotgun is more powerfull... howcome I get the splatter effect with berserk a lot and not the super shotgun(from a distance in which all the pellets reach the target)? who knows...

Probably as powerfull as a rocket launcher, hold up, I'll get the detailed info in a min.

As a Launched Rocket ?
It seems to be a little bit too much isn't it ?

I have no real idea 'cause sometime you can kill a soldier/imp/demon/lost soul in one punch and sometimes not.
I suppose it's a question of range.

actually it's more like about a little bit less power than SSG but definitely stronger than a plain shotgun

1 Ammo = 1 point of damage
1 BFG9000 = + 100 points
1 Berserk = 10 points
1 Cell (Plasma Rifle) = 2 points
1 Punch = 2 points
1 Rocket = + 20 points
1 Shotgun = 7 points (fires 7 pellets at 1 point per pellet)
(not every pellet will hit every target)
1 Super Shotgun = # 14 points (fires 14 pellets)

Interesting.
From where did you get these infos ?

howcome I get the splatter effect with berserk a lot and not the super shotgun(from a distance in which all the pellets reach the target)? who knows...

It never happens for me too.
I think it's only for berserk/rockets/plasma(sometimes)/BFG...

Why is it that a Demon can take three point-blank hits from the standard shotty, but only one point-balnk hit with the SSG? If the pellet count is exactly double that of the regular shotty. And the spread of the regular shotty doesn't seem so wide as to waste a few pellets.

1 bullet = 5-15 dmg
shotgun fires 7 bullets (35-105 dmg if all bullets hit)
ssg fires 20 bullets (100-300 dmg if all bullets hit)

plasma 5-40 dmg
rocket 20-160 dmg + 128 radius dmg
BFG 100-800 dmg + spray dmg

fist 2-20 dmg
berserk fist 20-200 dmg

The reason you dont get the gib effect with ssg is that the bullet damages are resolved seperatly and the enemy is thus only reduced to max -14 hp which is insufficient for gibbing.

Orion: The reason the SSG doesn't cause the plattering is because it's punch is broken up into 20 pellets. As soon as the foe is dead, the remaining pellets just hit the wall. So let's say you shot a monster with 20 hitpoints, then all the pellets would be used up and none would go through the monster, and the monster would die. But if the monster had 15 hit points, like the Demon, then 5 of them would go through the demon hitting the wall. But, with a rocket, even though it only requires 3 points of damage to kill the seargent, the rocket is providing 20 points, so the excess 17 points of damage are still hitting the seargent, causing him to enter stage two death sequence: splatter. If you are ever playing deathmatch, you will notice that you will never have the second scream or the splatter when getting shot with pellet weapons for the reasons aforementioned. But if your health is low and you have no armor, you will enter high scream or splatter when being killed with berserk punch, bfg or rocket.

I don't know where you got your info that the fist causes 2 points of damage. I'm gonna assume you got that from the fact that a well placed fist can take out a former human with one punch, instead of the minimum two of a pellet (bullet). I've always equated the berserk punch with that of a rocket, although the berserk punch is much more variable than a rocket. I don't play original doom.exe anymore, but I think that the rocket wasn't variable at all. It think it always provided 20 points of damage, because it would always kill a baron with five rockets and the baron is 100 hit points. With Zdoom, however, it takes 5 or more hits to kill a baron. And 2 or more hits to kill a Caco, when with the original doom.exe it would always take two rockets to kill a caco (400 hitpoints). The berserk can take between I'd say 8 and 2 hits to kill a caco. Although 8 would be unlikely. I think for me it usually takes 4 or 5, and sometimes 3 but very harldy ever does it take 2.

I would say the BFG when up against a monster does 150 points of damage. I doubt it does much more than that, as you can't take out a cyb with 3 hits (at least as far as I'm aware you can't)

you can take out a cybie with 2 BFG shots, at point blank. Read my above post for detailed info on all the weapon damages. As for enemy hps...

Trooper: 20
Sarge: 30
Imp: 50
Chainer: 70
Lost soul: 100
Demon: 150
Revenant: 300
Caco: 400
Pain elemental: 400
Hell knight: 500
Arachnotron: 500
Mancubus: 600
Archie: 700
Baron: 1000
Spider demon: 3000
Cyber demon: 4000
I probably forgot something here... don't have time to check, at least these numbers are 100% correct.

A note on the BFG, it does (1-8)x100 dmg + 40 tracers each doing 45 or so dmg (maybe the other way around?). That would add to 1900-2600 dmg from point blank, well enough to kill a cybie in 2 hits. Most of the time you won't be able to hit a cyber from point blank though...

The rocket launcher indeed has a variable damage, but since it also has a fixed radius damage it does a pretty reliable amoung of damage per hit (It does a lot less against cybers though as they are immune to explosions, to prevent them from killing themselves, doh).

Why is it that a Demon can take three point-blank hits from the standard shotty, but only one point-balnk hit with the SSG? If the pellet count is exactly double that of the regular shotty. And the spread of the regular shotty doesn't seem so wide as to waste a few pellets.

Well, the super shotgun does three times the damage of the standard shotgun. Though the standard isn't too shabby itself. In fact, the standard has a 1 in 8 chance of killing a freshly respawned marine in one hit, assuming all the pellets hit.

So is a cyb immune to his own rockets? Or does his rockets do the same amount of damage as mine?

As far as I know, cybies aren't harmed by splash damage. That's why they can fire into walls and not take damage.

Haven't any of you read the unofficial Doom specs? Go get 'em and read 'em.

Someone delete this poor excuse for a thread.

Actually, imp has 60 hitpoints. SS soldiers from Wolfenstein have 50.

How many hitpoints does Romero's head have? Wait... I can figure it out by killing it a few times.... I'd say it's 240 hitpoints.

The shotgun does not have a 1in 8 chance of doing 100 dmg. The chance is *drumroll* 8/(3^7) which is approx 0.3658% chance. So if you kill someone with 1 sg shot in deathmatch you sure have lady luck on your side.

Katharyne: All my data comes from there.. nobody seems to care about it tho and post their own wild speculations.

Oh, bug off kat.

I still don't understand how my rockets hurt the cyb but his rockets don't. Is it because when he hits a wall, the rocket isn't directly hitting him? Thus he is only getting splash damage? But when my rockets hit him, they are inflicting another kind of damage that isn't just splash damage? And if I hit the wall he is standing next to, he is not being hurt cause it's splash damage that is hitting him?

Oh, I cared about it. I knew it was right. I hadn't bothered to read the whole thread before posting. I was just putting down what I thought each weapon did based on what I have gathered from playing the game.

Oh, bug off kat.

I still don't understand how my rockets hurt the cyb but his rockets don't. Is it because when he hits a wall, the rocket isn't directly hitting him? Thus he is only getting splash damage? But when my rockets hit him, they are inflicting another kind of damage that isn't just splash damage? And if I hit the wall he is standing next to, he is not being hurt cause it's splash damage that is hitting him?

100% correct

I heard that id programmed the weapons to only have a very narrow range of damage. So although a bullet does between 5 and 15 damage, seven fired from a shotgun will not have that range. It will be more like between 60-80. Is it really possible for seven pellets delivering on average of 70 points of damage to do 100?

It'd be nice if Randy Heidt implemented MDK style feature that told you how many hitpoints the monster had left.

But I don't think a shot gun has ever delivered 100 hitpoints of damage. Although one time I killed a hell knight with 5 bullets after two SSG shots. That would mean the SSG shots would have totaled roughly 450 hit points, 50 more than they should have. Oh, but I think it might have received a minor beating from nearby imps. I doubt it's possible to kill an unhurt hell knight with two SSG shots. And if you can't kill a hell knight with two SSG shots, then you most certainly can't kill a 100 hitpoint Player with a 70 hitpoint shotgun.

Haven't any of you read the unofficial Doom specs? Go get 'em and read 'em.

Someone delete this poor excuse for a thread.

To all the people that asked I got my info from "The Doom FAQ v6.666"

As for the info stated by the people as to why the SS doesn't make the little pussy monsters splatter like shit after eating 2kg of ham-n-cheese and washing it down with milk, you're right, I just didn't think before I talked, happens.

Oh and BTW Kat, I remember you calling me a negative wanker some time ago. I just want to let you know that I don't consider you any less pessimistic and arrogent than me.

Usually it takes two from the shotgun; and then sometimes it is three like you said. I remember deadnail explaining the element of randomness that the engine uses to determine some of this.

Like it has been mentioned, the SSG has 20 pellets, though in reality it only should have 14 since double barrel shotguns in the real world operate like that.

The single barrel shotgun is more accurate than the double barrel shotgun. I'd say this is so because (if I recall correctly) the SSG is a sawed off defensive model made for close combat. So, it is ineffective for medium-long range fights. Most likely the length of the barrel of the SSG is much shorter than the single shotgun. The single shotgun's barrel is probably more slender, which in real life tightens up the pattern of the shot. Either that or the single shotgun or SSG has modified or full choke on it.

Then again, it is only a game. ;) I bet they didn't take the actual manner in which shotguns work into account.

They need at least 6, sometimes 7, or more depending on how bad your aim is.

It is possible to kill a caco with 5 shotgun shots. I believe this happens in rq03-606(or whatever it's called). Of course that requires a good deal of luck. I also thought that SSG had 21 pellets, not 20. To test this shoot 2 SSG shots at a caco and see that your chance of killing it is a good bit more than 50%. Make sure all pellets hit.

Yeah, orion, I know, I'm a bitch, blah. Actually, the only reason I'm such a bitch on these forums is because of my self-assigned role of 'lamer defamer'. And there's just so much lameness about. ^_^ I'm really a nice person if you have half a brain.

Although, in my defense, I do actually make posts that aren't negative. You do too, but when I'd called you negative I honestly hadn't seen a post from you that wasn't negative or inflammatory.