Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glassyman

Which is the best megawad made in 1990s?

Ninja_of_DooM said:

Why not just make it easy and download a bunch of them, play them and then decide for yourself which is best?

You are right but I would want to know opinions of the other Doomers.

Plutonia.wad is always good fun. The original Hell Revealed is fun in a sloppy sort of way. There's quite a bit more too, I just can't remember them all right now.

Wasn't Alien Vendetta released after the 90's?

I second Memento Mori 2

I thought Alien Vandetta was released ~1998?

Anyway, some of my favorites include the Momento Mori series, Icarus and Requiem. I recommend downloading a few of the wads suggested here and playing for a few levels to guage them.

LucienDeathcross said:

Hell Revealed 2 is the best in my opinion.

You are a few years too late.

Hell Revealed, TNT, Strain. Oh, and Cyberdreams, if it qualifies as a megawad.

Both Hell Revealed 2 and Alien Vendetta are post 2000 creations and do not count. TVR!, Kama Sutra, and Scythe (1 & 2) are also post 2000 should anyone mention them.

Anyways, probably Hell Revealed. It has stood the test of time better (IMO) than Memento Mori (1 & 2), Requiem, and STRAIN. Eternal Doom, and Icarus, aren't even in the ball game.

Though if IWADs counted it would obviously be Plutonia.

Hobbs said:

Anyways, probably Hell Revealed. It has stood the test of time better (IMO) than Memento Mori (1 & 2)

Hell Revealed's gameplay had a huge influence on later wads, but the Memento Mori series architechture has much subtler, though still important, contribution to modern maps. They really contributed to that Gothic Hell archetype.

Doom Episodes 1-4. It has stood the test of time better than all the wads posted.
Seriously, though, I'm going with Evilution as the early influential and fun megawad. But Eternal Doom is my favorite.

Requiem, Memento Mori and Memento Mori 2 are classics. Excellent megawads that every Doomer should play at least once. Icarus is alright. There are a few ugly looking levels though.

Hell Revealed, STRAIN, Icarus, Eternal, MM2, Requiem, MM would be the ones to look at first, in roughly that order IMO. Then there's Cyberdreams, Demonfear, Cleimos 2, H2H-Xmas and I suppose things like Realms of Chaos, Dimensions of Time and some others I can't think of right now off the top of my head. That's restricting it to full or near 32-level wads.

Edit: Ooh, I forgot Extremal-Doom (3 episodes). Year of construction unknown, but probably some time in the 1990s.