Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Enjay

BFE1F0 problem

Not sure if this is known about...

This has come up in a couple of WADs that people have been working on recently. The entry BFE1F0 (last frame of the BFG main explosion - just a green line) does not preview properly. XWE shows it as data rather than showing a picture of the sprite and at least one person has managed to end up with corrupted data in their WAD as a result.

I checked with doom2.wad and doom.wad. In both WADs, the entry did not show properly in XWE but other tools were able to handle it just fine.

Yes, Mac53 and I both noticed this. I can run the wad fine with ZDooM & GZDooM. And of course, as Nigel pointed out, DooM2 and DooM run fine, even though XWE does not display the graphic - just the raw data. Perhaps one more thing for your to-do list, Csabo?

This was a very easy fix, grab the last beta.

Doom images don't have any header, it's just a bunch of bytes. Because XWE supports so many different formats, it's trying to be really careful in determining what's a valid Doom image. That particular one was right on the boundary of how many bytes a DGF lump can be for the given dimensions. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

In the case of mac53's sprite replacement, the BFE1F0 entry was reported as outright broken by ZDoom and other source ports at startup, so the problem is/was worse when it was edited for any reason.