Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeetz

WIP WAD-The Arena

Hey guys, I just wanted some opinions on my first wad, which is in progress, called The Arena. It is my first Wad, and somewhat of a learning experience, so don't go to rough on me :P. The screens seen here are done in Skulltag, and indeed, some of the maps have ST weapons in them. I am currently deciding whether to trade off making it skulltag only for the extra features ST provides. It is a small collection of multiplayer maps. Here are some screens:

Map 01: I know this is basicly a big box with some trees in it, but I wanted something simple and fun for Map01 of the wad, so I decided to do this. The rest of the Wad is made up of more complicated maps, however.

Map 03 (Map 02 is kinda in Development hell): Basicly a small military base, with a loose figure-8 layout. Yes, I know the light is a bit varying in some places, as is the texturing as well, but this is an early WIP. I am probably going to go with a darker texture set. However, I would like to use the lighter textures seen here for a test-lab like map.

Please keep in mind that this is my first WAD, and a learning experience. I am not trying to do anything big or astounding, I am just try to get a grip on this. With that being said, opinions are welcome. :)

Heh, looks ok for a first...All I can really say is keep practicing...

It certainly doesn't look bad and it seems you may have some interesting map layouts there, but I'm seeing alot of gross texture misalignments, some of which you may have to resort to using different textures for. Also the lighting in some places doesn't have a very nice transition from one area to another, and some of the flat texture choices are sketchy at best.

Yeah, keep practicing and work on some of those areas some more, especially those with the texture misalignments.

Looks good for a first map, but the name "The Arena" has been used so my times by WADs worse than yours. That's not to say yours is bad, I mean when people see a WAD named "The Arena" people might just avoid it because of it's overused name. This also goes for names such as: The Sewers, The Catacombs (or Caves), or perhaps UAC Base, maybe even Mountain. It's not a very big problem, and you don't even have to act upon it (to change it), but I'm just throwing it out there.

Thanks for the heads up, can anyone think of a good name? Whenever I think of a good name for anything, I find it's been taken. How's Rex sound? :P

As for the textures and lighting, yea, I am already aware of those problems, and trying to correct them. I also started work on a third map, which takes place in a secret lab. I even have some monsters that are being kept in captivity in there for good measure, but they can't attack the player.

Looks pretty good for an first attempt make your outside areas lighter.

Well I think most cool names have been used these days allready, I'm not good with thinking up names myself and don't really care either if an name has been used before as well I just think of something short most of the time.

Or get my map names from my cd's :p ive done that for an few maps in the past.

Here's a few pictures of MAP04, which is set in a somehwhat abandonded lab.

Note that the notches seen in the first shot are meant to hold monsters, but they are not showing up, even though I have the multiplayer flag checked for all of them.

Map 4 looks a little too abandoned, bringing back 1994 memories. Map 1 probably won't be as fun as you think. (Tree sprites are not a DM friend.)

Map 01 is quite fun actualy, I played it with bots. The Forest in the middle is a "Danger Zone" Where you can very easily be killed just by bunched fire (especialy rockets) but has a reawrd in the middle (The Chainsaw".

As for MAP04, I'm working on it:

There's supposed to be Dark Souls in there as well, but they don't show up, even though I have the Multiplayer flag checked.

Those screenshots look awful. It may be your first project but that certainly won't change the way they look. Now for the good news, in time you will get better, look back on this, and laugh. I know I did with my first project. :)

zap610 said:

Those screenshots look awful. It may be your first project but that certainly won't change the way they look. Now for the good news, in time you will get better, look back on this, and laugh. I know I did with my first project. :)

I am not trying to be arrogant or anything, but why? It's nice to be constructive.

about things not appearing:

have you set the flags for all difficulty levels?
have you flagged them for deathmatch,co-op and singleplayer (if you're using maps in hexen format for zdoom)?
and do you maybe have the invisible flag set for the things (again for zdoom)?

other than that: it looks not bad for a first map,but some areas (as the abandoned laboratory) seem to be way to large and the textures in the same areas are some kind of... well,they almost all look the same. There's way to little varation.

Also, learn about texture alignment and upper/lower unpegging.

I searched both, but couldn't find any. Doom mapping tuts are kind of hard to find over ten years later.