Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kage No Shujin

Doom: The Movie

Why in all of hell did id sell its copywrite to let this piece of crap get made? I have many reasons why I hate this garbage:
-The Gates (at least I remember) were never shown
-New plot- I despise this "virus that could harm some, but make others super human". Very Original (Resident Evil plot thank you).
-First Person View- This view was made by games. They should stay in games.

Kage No Shujin said:

I don't see what Bill and his wife have to do with DOOM, except for Doom 95. Well, and MS DOS.

Welcome to what? 2005?

I don't know about your opinion on the first person view. I thought that part was quite enjoyable and original despite what they were trying to accomplish.

The first person part of the movie is classic IMO. The rest of the movie, meh. I was actually enjoying it at first, until the virus plot was revealed, then something in me just died. But I forced myself to think of it as more than just mutants, but a virus that brings out the DEMON in corrupted individuals.

I get what you are all enthusyastic about the FPS view in the movie. What I meant was the FPS view is that it is done good, but the view is only in there for filler. Since it was the only thing good about the movie, it is just as bad as the movie. I just lost interest, and died inside, and that basically made it just another piece of crap in this crappy movie. If the view was made directly off the game or books, (as I said in my original post about the view should stay in the game. meant that if it was made off the game and/or books, is it should stay in those type of movies) it would have made it good. But what I also need to type is that the screen writer made the movie a generic Resident Evil

Kage No Shujin said:

Well no shit. The storyline had nothing to do with demons from Hell rampaging through gates/portals so why would they show it? You might as well complain that they didn't show Teletubbies in the movie.

Kage No Shujin said:

-New plot- I despise this "virus that could harm some, but make others super human". Very Original (Resident Evil plot thank you).

Of all the movies that used that concept, you're going to assume it was taken from Resident Evil?

Kage, next time you want to make sure the movie you watch/rent doesn't suck, read some reviews of it first. Imdb is a good place to start.

Kage No Shujin said:

There were gates. They went from Earth to Mars.

Kage No Shujin said:

As stated before, that's a fairly generic plot point, so I guess you have one up on that, though I see no connection to the Resident Evil plot. All the viruses in the RE universe technically harmed and/or destroyed everything they came into contact with, except (arguably) the T/G Virus (A fusion of both types), but I don't think the script writers of Doom: The Movie (or anyone for that matter) were playing Resident Evil: Dead Aim a whole lot.

Secondly, I think what was done with the Doom story is genius. I mean, the game Doom drew a lot of inspiration from Evil Dead and the Alien series. To make a movie so closely based on the game would have just resulted in an even more generic storyline. And demons from Hell invading a lonely Mars base? It would have been one of the tackiest ideas for an action/horror movie since the mid-nineties while that idea was still barely cool.

Kage No Shujin said:

-First Person View- This view was made by games. They should stay in games.

The way you worded that was absurd, as the first person perspective is vital tool in filmography, but I know what you meant. I agree that the scene itself is somewhat lame, but I admire the amount of work that was put into it, and what they tried to show with it. On that note, I feel that way about a lot of the movie. So much work was put behind this movie, namely in the make-up and special effects. A lot of people are Doom fans who focus on that fact that the story was altered so it'd be movie friendly, and don't quite see that if it's taken for face value, it's actually above average for its genre.

As for why Id allowed for that movie to be made-- John Carmack stated that he wished a few things were closer to the games, but overall, he was satisfied with the movie, so I don't see why they wouldn't have.

IMO the FP sequence was the best bit. It lifted people off their seats and it was actually great to watch. Unfortunately it was too little too late and came near the end of a pretty dull movie that had very little to do with the game it was "based on".

Movie was uber cheesy, but tons of fun to watch. FP scene was the same, cheesy but still neat. I liked it, it just really shouldn't have been called Doom :p

I agree with the previously done thread, about it being called something else. When I was watching, or started watching the movie, I expected Flames to shoot out of hell as the gate opened, spawning imps, pinkys, lost souls, and cacodemon of sorts. What I meant about the gates, were the Phobos, and Deimos gates. There should be no gates from Earth to Mars and vice-versa. And I am appalled by the remark of the plot being tacky if Mars being attacked by hell, rather of Earth. It is a strategic if you understand Mars really having no "live" contact with Earth. And that would mean that we would not know of an attack before hell is knocking on our door. I am not just saying the plot should directly be inline of the games. it could be of the books.

I'm sure if the movies plot revolved around hell itself rather than the virus, then a lot of aspects associated with DOOM would have most deffinetly have been included, such as the gates.

However, regardless of what the story revolved around (hell or the virus), there are some things (IMO) that should have been improved upon.
-In terms of quantity, monsters > zombies. Higher numbers of monsters appearing as the movie progressed would have been good.
-Some more FP, very origional and entertaining.

I more or less agree with Coopersville on this one. They didn't change the story because they felt like it, they changed it so it would be more movie-friendly. I personally liked the art styling and weapon designs far more than the oh-so-nasty olive greens of Doom 3 and the far too unimaginative designs of the originals. *dons flameproof suit*

Most people complain that the Doom movie completely dropped the whole Hell thing, and yet they don't do so with Doom 3. Somehow, they fail to realize that the enemies of Doom 3 completely lose the Luciferian aura that their original forerunners carried; they seemed more alien than demonic. So, I don't see why people complain about the movie not being hellish enough.

And I honestly think that the prevalence of the f-word had something to do with it. I'd bet money that if the script was written better, it would've been that much more well recieved.

One thing I think id did with the Doom 3 monster, is run it off of the books (for those of you who did not read the books, the monsters are invaders from another planet. At least that what Fly and Arlene consider them as), rather than that of the original games. That, or of the fact that the mosern audiences were focasing on alien, that said, it could have been what the id people thought was cool (meaning accidentaly doing it). It all depends on the persons point of view.

What the 3 games have in common, is that the monsters still spawn from the deapths of hell.

At the begginingg of the game, as you noticed, hell has opened a portal into Mars city, which brings up the theory that hell has released its posesing creatures to go up and collect soldiers for its army. That could be what happended to Mancubus, Pinky, Imp, and Cacodemon. Hell Knights could be hells only soldier, as it was really the only real demonic looking creature, next to Dr. Betrugers demon form, trites, and Guardian. The lost souls in ROE could be hells improved version of Lost Souls in Doom 3. The Cyberdemon and Revenent could, or was a human/zombie built soldier of hells army.

If you are saying the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, Mancubus, Revenent and all other monsters from the old Doom games didn't look at all alien, even in the fact that hell would not have ROCKET LAUNCHERS attached to its army. Then I don't want to really here how you think that Doom 3 is an alienfied version of the old Doom games.

Also one thing I guess I would note is that it's too hard to make a good movie when it focuses too much on Hell and demons. If the film makers made it so Mars was being attacked with these cliché horned mosters, or even most of the ones portrayed Doom 3, the general audience wouldn't be scared, or even take it seriously.

Usually people respond better to stuff that resembles animals that most would think of as dangerous (the Pinky Demon), or something shocking like a rotting corpse (the zombies, Imps, and to a lesser extent, the Hellknight). Also people generally fear sickness and disease, hence the plot around a virus.

The problem with the film wasn't the theme (viruses instead of hell boom gates). It was that it had very little action, most of it was filler chat between the marines and the scientist. Monsters did exist, but were few.

Though anyway, I like that they still existed; the virus wasn't known and could still be some kind of hellish/divine invasion, because it also only transformed bad people, while good people became superhuman (like the player).

Problem is, the film is too short. It would've been fun if there were more monsters and more tension. What if they make a Doom series (done under enthusiasm)? Or a Doom cartoon?

I just can imagine the guys who introduced the "new" concepts to the DOOM plot, and at the same time considering themselves super smart and creatives, one of them sure though "fans will love this!". Then the reviews showing the true.

Was fun to pass a saturday night, but nothing else. I never watched it again (except the fp sequence at youtube), and most probably I'll never do (unless they pass it on tv and I have absolutly nothing better to do).

Edit: to make it clear, I have an *legal copy of it yet the only chance of me to watching it is having nothing better to do, doing zapping and finding it by chance.

printz said:

What if they make a Doom series (done under enthusiasm)? Or a Doom cartoon?

Now that i would like to see.

Maybe it's just me, but I hadn't any great expectations from it, and in fact, I wasn't disappointed. Before watching it, I expected something halfway between a bad Alien 2 clone, Mortal Kombat: the movie and Starship Troopers....which it mostly was.

Darkfyre said:

Here comes the night train. Choo Choo.

Maybe you're right. Most action cartoons had lasers for bullets and robots for dying people. It just wouldn't fit too much.

Let's just all say that if they made another Doom movie, it would need to have the events of Doom: the Movie not happen. It would also have to have more zombies, pinkys, hell knights, etc. Hell, I would love to see a movie interpritation of a Cyberdemon. And it would need a Flynn Tagart in it.

The real "Doom: The Movie" is actually Doom 3 itself. The thing we saw in the theaters was just a sort of bad Alien 2 clone, with a hint from trite horror TV series.