Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevy1231

Episode 1 Megawad

Is anyone interested in giving thoughts on my ongoing construction on a DOOM E1 megawad for Doom Legacy?

Email me @ kevnleblanc(at)hotmail.com if you want to try it out. I could use some productive input. So you know, I was trying to mix things up a bit and create a few new parts to the levels, as well as retaining the important parts of the old ones, except E1M6, because I don't like that level and I'm not sure how much of it I want to use. But please, by all means, give me all the criticism you want.

~Kevin

Please do not tell us you are modifing the orig maps. It is one thing to interpret the maps and redo/map them but you can not legally distribute modified orig maps I don't think.

So are your maps orig works?

Yes you can. Just have to distribute them to be used within the same game you got them from. Just like every other resource found in games.

Really?

From the fac.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31922
# What will be rejected?

* Uploads with long filenames (more than 8 characters).
* Warez copies of anything.
* Junk in ZIP files.
* Uploads with no text file included.
* Anything NOT related to any Doom engine games (like a modification for Quake 3).
* Any SLIGE levels.
* WADs with stolen resources (though these may slip through; if someone complains, the file may be removed).
* MP3s in WADs, unless it can be verified that the creation is original, and ideally is intended for the specific WAD file.
* Copyrighted sound clips of Disney, Beavis and Butthead, etc.
* Unmodified parts of any IWAD.
* "Demo" WADs that are not playable in their own right (other than editing examples).
* Modified id Software levels.
* Trademarked or copyrighted symbols.
* Files over 50MB in size.
* Any other questionable things.

========
These two appear to be the applicable ones here, if those levels are just modified iwad maps.

* Unmodified parts of any IWAD. (Parts is the keyword)
* Modified id Software levels.

My four doom remakes that I build from scratch are still not accepted they are still in holding, I'm suspecting they will be rejected in the end.

Dutch, obviously Ty has the last word, but yours should be fine since they are inspired by the master levels maps and not the modified levels.

You could probably re-upload them and write inspired by the master levels and they would be fine would be my guess. But I am not Ty of course. There may be something in the wording for them that he does not like. Did you try to email/PM him about them?

We all know you would not start with someone's map and re-do it. Shoot you sure don't need to since your work is so good in it's own right.

edit:typo

Master levels?? no they are based on doom levels(E1M1 E2M1 E3M1 E4M1) I think they are too close to the originals and Ty isn't sure if its work from scratch thats what I think.

I will not upload someone else his work ever I have revamped some maps from other mappers in the past but I haven't uploaded them but gave them back to the original authors for their projects.

Mapping is shiteasy for me why the hell would I use someone else his map to work from there is no fun in that for me :)

dutch devil said:

Master levels?? no they are based on doom levels(E1M1 E2M1 E3M1 E4M1) I think they are too close to the originals and Ty isn't sure if its work from scratch thats what I think.

I will not upload someone else his work ever I have revamped some maps from other mappers in the past but I haven't uploaded them but gave them back to the original authors for their projects.

Mapping is shiteasy for me why the hell would I use someone else his map to work from there is no fun in that for me :)

I'd like to see these maps. Sounds cool.

OK, Sorry I thought it was your tribute to the master levels that was in question.

There are a ton of people around here that would love to see those maps. you may have to think about linking to them yourself sometime. Many people would be thrilled to host them. Good luck.

Searcher said:

Please do not tell us you are modifing the orig maps. It is one thing to interpret the maps and redo/map them but you can not legally distribute modified orig maps I don't think.

So are your maps orig works?

No, they're edits.

If I "interpretted the maps and redid them" wouldn't that basically be the same as using an editor to edit them together?

Be honest with me, though: is this the sort of thing that the Doomworld community frowns upon or is this just your opinion? (I'm not trying to belittle you...I'm just curious)

I say this because I'm not worried about id trying to take me to court over a few edited DOOM maps. Really, I just want other people to tell me whether or not they like the modest work I've done so far.

~Kev

As mentioned above from the fac. That is not my opinion, that is the facts so to speak. you will not be able to upload edited doom maps to the archive. Many people will likely ridicule you for both trying and for not making maps from scratch. Your call.

Not to discourage you, but you stumbled upon a no-no. The community needs new mappers, and it will be better if your first attempt is not marked by ridicule. Take example of what NOT to do from these hopeless cases:

Theese pretty much sum up some examples to avoid, including major screwups, lost propositions, bad attitude, and pure time-wasting projects. Don't end up like them :-)

That being said, try releasing an original work of yours as a first map, don't start with the wrong foot. Cheers!

Maes said:

Not to discourage you, but you stumbled upon a no-no. The community needs new mappers, and it will be better if your first attempt is not marked by ridicule. Take example of what NOT to do from these hopeless cases:

[hopeless cases]

Theese pretty much sum up some examples to avoid, including major screwups, lost propositions, bad attitude, and pure time-wasting projects. Don't end up like them :-)

That being said, try releasing an original work of yours as a first map, don't start with the wrong foot. Cheers!

I've read these boards for a long time, just rarely posted. I see what you're saying, and I'm sure that you are trying to be productive with what you're doing. I've been on many forums before and I'm very well aware of all the BS that tends to go on from both n00bs and board princes and princesses on a daily basis. The reason I didn't link to the WAD is simply so that if anyone WAS interested in trying it out for fun, they could email me. I've had a few people already email me and give me their thoughts on the *.WAD, which was my sole intention.

I'm not here to rattle cages. Frankly I don't have the time or energy to post on every thread like some of you. I read the "hopeless examples" and while they do prove your point, I don't think y'all understand how daunting it can be for people who just want to start making maps and don't understand the ettiquette, such as not putting an exit or making 1-room killfests. Some people actually like 1-room killfests...not this guy, though. So if you aren't offering basic, honest help, just leave them alone. I think you and others may have been a bit harsh at times and I guarantee they don't want to be told what they're doing is "pointless." Not everyone wants to be a part of this "DOOM WAD building community." If someone wants to convert the IWAD to a different format, tell him how to do it or, in the event that you're not sure, do not type anything at all. It's demeaning for a mere mortal to use his self-appointed super-powers of supposition to determine the intent of some kid he's never met that wants to make a DOOM level. And what if you're right about his intent?

With respect:
I edit. It's what I like to do. I can make a fine WAD from scratch, I just usually don't feel like it. No one is going to sue me for editing a DOOM WAD and sending copies to my friends to deathmatch on.

Please don't take this too harshly:
So before anyone tries to say anything about legal mumbo-jumbo, I've heard it, I understand, and I guess I just don't care. I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to try the WAD out. I didn't ask to post it anywhere and I don't remember calling a lawyer about it.

And yes, I am fully aware that most everyone is just trying to help, but as a lot of people sternly tell me when I appear bossy to them: "I got it, thanks."

~Kevin

P.S. And really, don't take this too personally. This isn't supposed to sound cocky. It just sort of gets on my nerves when n00bs are turned away from a community because of board princes(ses) who act like their attempts at communication or WADs are a "waste of time."

Okay, maybe those examples were a bit too extreme and your case is nowhere near them, but they are all hand-picked cases of how wrong things can go when someone "gets stuck" with an idea that's both useless, unreleasable and even damaging (the ZDoom-IWAD probably beats them all, but the sprite thing doesn't joke either, apart that it doesn't do what it claims to do).

Even if those things were for "personal use only", none here wants to help somebody ruin his IWADs, only to be told later "OMG YOU F4g0t TH3Y D0NT WORK YOUR A FAG0t D13 !!!11one!".

BTW, an IWAD cannot by definition be "in a different format": it's supposed to stay how Mother iD created it, the One True IWAD no matter what, at least until version 1.9 of Doom rendered that painful sprite merging obsolete :-)

Anyway, I'm curious to see your maps, you can PM or email me the link to your files and any criticism can stay between you and me, again through PMs or emails.

However, if they really are edits, no matter if they show it or not, they cannot be published, at least not through idgames. Speaking of unpublishable maps, don't end up like Rampage Doom, which I forgot to mention.

Alright, just give me a few hours to get out of work, polish a few things, and post them. (there are a few things I can fix in 30 minutes' worth of editing)

~Kevin