Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Steeveeo

A_SeekerMissile info may not be right

The zdoom wiki description for A_SeekerMissile is either inaccurate or has changed in later builds of GZDoom:

http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=A_SeekerMissile

It says it calls for 2 values; threshold and maxturnangle. But whenever I put the two values in my DECORATE lump in a custom SeekerRocket thing (for altfire of RocketLauncher), and the engine always crashes out with "error in DECORATE line 122: Value Expected"

can anyone fix the wiki and/or provide a fix here for future reference?

Apparently you did something wrong but without seeing your code it's not possible to help you.

Spawn:
MISL A 1 A_SeekerMissile("8, 50")
loop

thats what it is, and it doesnt work (I didnt bother to include any of the other stuff, because this is where my problem lies.)

EDIT: Also, I tried making the RocketLauncher fire a revenant tracer, which is supposed to seek, but for some reason doesnt (even though the lock-on smoke did appear)

Of course it doesn't work. What you are passing to the function is a string "8, 50". Remove the quotation marks and it will work.

ok, Ill try that when I get home!

(BTW, Why doesnt the revenant missile track right when shot from the player?)

Steeveeo said:

ok, Ill try that when I get home!

(BTW, Why doesnt the revenant missile track right when shot from the player?)

It has to have a target. And it can only acquire one if the player is aiming at something.

I know, I point the reticle right at the enemy, fire, the lock-on smoke appears, but when the monster moves out of the way the missile keeps going straight. What might be causing this?

This is an age old problem dating back to the first days of dehacked. People have been trying to get player fired Revenant missiles to be homing for years, and it has never worked because there is extra coding built in that tells it what to seek. When a monster fires a homing missile at something, it will seek whatever target it chooses, but if the player tries it, the game can't be sure if there was a target or not, even if you were pointing right at it, so it will only fly straight. The only way I can think of is to try using something else that's homing, like a Bloodscourge shot, which seeks out the closest monster it comes across, or maybe the powered up Hellstaff shot (minus the rain, of course), which only seeks out any enemy you happen to be aiming at the time.

might as well make it seek toward whatever object would be autoaimed at if the player was shooting a weapon that went straight, surely zdoom folk wouldn't have a problem with this change out of the many others they've made

does the seeker missile need to be pointed in the enemy's general direction to seek properly? Or can it just home straight it when it find something? (Shooting rockets around walls, its the ultimate Anti-Camper!)

Infinite Ammunition said:

might as well make it seek toward whatever object would be autoaimed at if the player was shooting a weapon that went straight, surely zdoom folk wouldn't have a problem with this change out of the many others they've made

That's precisely what the weapon firing code does when it shoots a missile with homing capabilities. Of course this only works with DECORATE but not with DEHACKED.