Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaxWar

Doom music remakes from MaxWar.

So i made these remakes from classic DooM tunes.
You can download them from my page. If you do please post a review with your appreciation of my work. The doom links are the last ones at the bottom of the page. The other links are also some music i made or was involved in but nothing doom related. Check it out if you care.

http://www.tarask.com/Maxwar/Mp3Download.html

Im a long time fan of good old DooM. I remember when i was a kid and played it on a 486. I have no shame to tell you it has been a major cultural influence for me, hehehe. Now my life is mostly about making music and i felt a strong need to give some good ol DooM classics the panache they deserved. My goal was to make the ultimate interpretation of doom music. I did it for myself but since i put so much time in it and ended up with something quite good, i offer it for you to enjoy.Those tunes were accumulated over a period of about one year, so they do not sound exactly alike. The quality also differ from song to song as my skill progressed in the time between songs. E3M4 is the last one i made. There may be more coming but im quite busy these days so if you guys like it please tell me so i can keep the flame alive ;)

I guess they were ok, but why is the quality so bad? Jesus, it sounds like you made that with Sound Recorder or something.

These are in fact some kind of remixes from the original game midis. I dont know if im right to call them remakes. However i have some difficulties with the term remix. I started with original midi tracks but then resequenced some tracks and played additionnal parts on keyboard. I think those should be considered as re-edition. But maybe i should call them remixes.
For those who think it sounds like crap well im sorry. All songs but the last one lack a proper mastering wich goes a long way toward making them cheap sounding when played next to a professional track. All sounds come from samples and synthetisers. A good part of the work was about making the synthetiser guitar sound as real as i could. But it will never be a match for a true guitar. I play drums and keyboard but really suck with a guitar. In any case i still appreciate constructive critics and i will always try to do better in the future.

Btw if some DooM guitarist happens to read this im interested in working with a guitarist for future 'remakes'. Then maybe i could record real drum and bass over it so we can finaly produce a real 'remake'.

They sound ok, sortof like a translation of the midis would sound as mp3s, but to be honest its like theres static in there or something, so not a winner, sorry.

The author used some a kind of graphic equalizer "preset" to make it sound more "grunge" perhaps. In fact, the lead guitar jams heavily and dominates over everything, high frequencies are horribly muffled and the bassline can be barely heard.

Most presets suck anyway, but this one cannot be removed. Not good, and surely not worth 256 kbps to preserve the sound purity! Even 64 kbps would be enough for something that has the frequency response of cheap ferric tape...

Ackk... the sound quality is horrible! No offense but I couldent listen to all of it.

You might also wanna check out the Classic Doom 3 mod music remakes by Sonic Clang, it's really awesome stuff. It's kind of the style you're looking for, though the sound quality is much much better.

EDIT: Link.

I like these, actually, especially Demons on the Prey (E1M7) and The Demon's Dead (Map10) that end up sounding sort of like ambient-black. The dirty sound doesn't really bother me, as it gives them an old "demo" sound.

MaxWar said:
Btw if some DooM guitarist happens to read this im interested in working with a guitarist for future 'remakes'. Then maybe i could record real drum and bass over it so we can finaly produce a real 'remake'.

Maybe you could get in touch with Sahkan for that purpose.

PainElemental said:

You might also wanna check out the Classic Doom 3 mod music remakes by Sonic Clang, it's really awesome stuff. It's kind of the style you're looking for, though the sound quality is much much better.

EDIT: Link.

3DO doom music is much better son :) older and better, it sounds like original not like cdoom 3 music (E1M9 music in this is crap)

I also liked these, nice job! My favs were also Map10 and E1M7. I really dig the "wall of sound" you've got going on there. I think it sounds great.

The guitars actually sounded really decent, the distortion doesn't bug me at all. It's the drums and bass that need a lot of work, not in terms of execution but in just bringing the sound out. It takes awhile to master EQ'ing.