Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Your first experience of an altered state of conciousness

Ok, this isn't really one of those "omg what drug do you like" deals.

Altered states are either : physiological (you were sick as hell), pyschological (you were a little crazy?), drug induced (duh) or other (what the hell happened)?

My first technical altered state of conciousness was the massive nicotine buzz I got when I first smoked a cigarette at age 12. I remember the slight euphoria (aka : hey, I feel pretty nice :-D), the dizziness. It was different, I could tell, from how I normally felt.

Being drunk for the first time at 13. When I closed my eyes, it felt like I was falling. That sucked. The first and one of the very few times I've ever experienced a hang-over.

First time I got high was 13. It was raining like a bastard and we were under an overhang, smoking a joint. I got so ripped, we went back to my house. There was a huge bowl of left-over turkey cut off, so I took it out. We ate the whole fucker. I had like, three turkey sandwhiches. Fun times.

I first tripped on mushrooms when I was 17. I listened to Rammstein and damn. This will only really make sense if you've ever tripped : one song "wrapped around my head", from my right ear to my left. Another song, the music sounded like it was being downpitched and stuff, like the speakers were melting. I latter figured out that the part of your brain that processes music is not the same part that processes speech, thus, music could sound trippy but I could still understand my friend that was talking to me. It also made me laugh my ass off for a long time, too. NEVER SMOKE MUSHROOMS WITH WEED. It is a totally bad experience. Eat the shrooms THEN smoke the weed. Do not mix them, no matter how dry the are...I made that mistake, and damn was it not fun.

It felt like I had something under my skin. I felt like my body was growing huge bumps and it seemed like there was. I started to tweak, and I talked to my friend Justin. He calmed me down and within moments I was not worried anymore. I was coming to my senses. I was on fucking shrooms, there was nothing wrong with my body. It felt so real though, it was amazing. It even hurt in succession of where the bumps moved. Trippy stuff. Gladly, it mellowed into a regular trip. I've never tripped since then.

I was somewhat drunk about 11 months ago. I ended up just feeling disconnected, like I had just taken a large dose of cold medicine. And I had to concentrate in order to walk straight.

Well, I only have faint memories of this as I was a little cute 5 year old at the time, so most of this is what my parents have told me.

At the time I went to a dentist who was an idiot. (Idiot is here understood as a person who steadfastly believes in wrong things in spite of her peers' better judgement).

She apparantly didn't believe in proper anaesthetics preferring to drug her patients with various sedatives. Chiefly among these the woefully inefficient Nitrous Oxide.

The problems with sedatives designed for adult and small kids is that they have a tendency to have the complete opposite effect.
The NOX did little but make me a bit dizzy and rather crabby. Whatever else she fed me practically had the effect of a thick line of meth.

Now, add to the mix that I was very afraid of dentists at the time and i generally loathed this specific one as a person (she wasn't the friendliest person around) and the result was violence. I somehow managed to overcome the lady by sheer ferocity and made a straight line for the door as far as my little feet could carry me screaming at the top of my lungs.

After the episode got a dentist who wasn't afraid of pinching kids with a needles and knew that toddlers and psychoactive chemicals is a baaad combination.

When I was about 8 years old I had to get a primary molar removed because it had never fallen out. The tooth was also very short, so a dentest was needed to perform some minor surgury.

He gave me some sort of sedative gas, wether it was Nitrous Oxide or not was beyond me, but I know I wasnt laughing every few minutes. Well, one the gas took effect, I closed my eyes and become more or less half-asleep. For some reason I was picturing these crappy atari graphics appearing in the blackness of when my eyes where shut.

I had surgury done recently in June for dental implants, and I was put on Nitrous Oxide for this. Shit... It was so hard not to laugh. I also though two ghetto people where talking to me during half of the procedure. It was a good experience though, because I was extremely nervous before hand then very calm and happy the next.

Once it was a really hot day and i got a bad headache, and then went absolutley mental, i dunno what it was (my mum called it "sun stroke", but a an actual stroke is caused by a blockage in the blood vessels in your brain, so i dunno how heat could cause a stroke, also they are usually fatal or permanantly disabling). Anyway i was in the living room at home but was convinced i was at school, only i could see the classroom in very bright whites, yellows and oranges, and nothing was moving and the whole image looked like i was seeing it through cracked glass. I was still in pain and screaming "take me home!" because i thought i was too ill to be at school. My mum was out mowing the lawn at the time, and i can remember being able to hear the mower (so she couldnt hear me shouting). By the time she came back in i had fallen into a stupour and she got me to have a bath, and then i felt okay.

I've been extremely drunk in my time, but never enough to have strange experiences or hullucinations or something, i usually feel too ill to carry on before i get to that stage. Back in january i went to a cocktail bar and then on to a grimy rock club with cheap drink. I had over the christmas holidays had various dreams about a guy i had been seeing and wanted to tell him i loved him, and this was the first time i had seen him since coming back. Anyway i got drunk enough to "get my courage up", but had to sit down, and when i closed my eyes it felt like my chair was flying backwards. I then started freaking about because i wanted to leave but didn't know where the door was (it was actually right in front of me). Anyway the bouncers came and 'saw me out' and i then tried to send a text to my friend, but couldnt even see the screen on my phone. I then suddenly ended up at home (i don't remember the journey at all) and found myself throwing up on the floor. Somehow i didnt get much of a hangover, though the puke smelled like bailey's

Another time recently, i was very very tired (which can have a similar etffect to being drunk) and had a headache too. I kept turning on the very powerful heater in my room and getting really hot, but otherwise felt very cold. Then somehow i convinced myself i was getting carbon monoxide poisoning (i've had it before from a bus engine, so i know what it feels like) and flung the window open and put the extractor fan in my bathroom on. Oddly enough i did start to feel better, though was very cold so i slept in a leather jacket. Then woke up with half an hour to get to a poster presentation i had to make... and actually got thre on time, though the questions the lecturers where asking me became a blur and the rest of my group had to prompt me and bail me out. One time i was in the middle of explaining something and then started explaining it again in the same breath, because i had forgotten what i was saying milliseconds before

I was accused of being crazy throughout school, but that's probably more to blame on the whole school shooting tends that happened through various parts of my enrollment. Nonetheless, I'll give those people a benefit of a doubt and maybe own up to being somewhat abnormal.

My first time being drunk is questionable. Since I was as young as three, I had, on very rare occasion, drank enough alcohol to feel its relaxing (depressive) qualities. Assuming people want to read the typical 'drunk story', that was when I was 18. I had like four shots of Fireball, and three shots of Wisers. It helped overcome how shy I was during the party I was at, and that's about it. I had to concentrate on walking a little, but it didn't get too bad that night.

'First mushroom trip was when I was 19. I was curious over what it'd be like to enhance some senses, and, well, hallucinate too. Yeah, not so much. I just got very uncomfortable; even my friend's laughter unsettled me. I felt embarrassed and ashamed a lot, and I wasn't a fan about being around any people (though a future trip would prove I hate being alone too). In short, it sucked and I gave up after the second try.

The first time with marijuana was around six months ago. I smoked out of bong made from an Israeli gasmask. I bought the mask for a friend after he went on months about how it's one of the best ways to smoke weed, and I figured I'd test it to see what he meant. All being high did was make me feel 'bubbley', but also made my joints and wrists ache. It wasn't anything special.

The only time I was drunk (or drank liquor for that matter) was when I visited my HS friend at his college. I drank a lot of light stuff (Mike's Hard Lemonade (light despite its name) and regular beer), but that combined with the one hard drink I did have (two shots of 40 proof rum) made me pretty drunk. I found the smallest things funny, and I had trouble walking and was slurring my speech. I also had that euphoric feeling I heard so much about. Luckily, I didn't throw up of have a hangover.

Little Faith said:

the woefully inefficient Nitrous Oxide.

They used that on me when I got a filling, and I thought it was effective. You could feel the vibrations from the drill, but I didn't feel any pain.

First time I was not quite right was when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I had a very high fever that caused me to start hallucinating.

I only remember it very vaguely. I remember being in the bathroom and attempting to put batteries in my (illusory) mom's back as if she were an electronic toy. My actual mom walked in on this and freaked out, threw me under a cold shower and then took me to the hospital. I think I also saw things like gremlins (from the movies) in my closet.

I missed a highly anticipated episode of ducktales because of that fever.

deathbringer said:

my mum called it "sun stroke", but a an actual stroke is caused by a blockage in the blood vessels in your brain, so i dunno how heat could cause a stroke, also they are usually fatal or permanantly disabling)

Basically, Sun or heat stroke causes sickness, hallucination, and possibly induces coma by excessive heat or sun exposure.

Anyways, I got extremely sick, and for some odd reason,I started screaming there's a tiger in the house. I had to be woken up.

Once I stayed up for so long I started hallucinating, coulda swore I saw a crab on my desk out of the corner of my eye, looked over and nothing there...

so either I needed sleep desparately or there was a ghost crab running around; I decided it was the former and forced myself to go to sleep.

BTW anyone ever stay up so long they dont feel tired at all?

@nxn: LMAO

I had been playing Animal Crossing: Wild World for some time and trying in vain to catch a tarantula to the point which I started seeing the little buggers at the edge of my vision crawling around inside my house...

...onto the real story...

...after the oral surgeon started working on pulling out my two unneeded teeth I overheard two assistants talking and one asked what the day was to which I pointed straight up into the air and yelled:

"It's Thursday and I'm still conscious!"

It should also be noted that the whole time the surgeon was working on me that I was expecting my jaw to fly off my skull and splatter on the wall in extremely unrealistic gibs.

Nitrous Oxide is awesome.

I was around five when I first found out I had the ability to communicate with sealife. I was visiting my grandparents at their cabin on the lake, and I watched a small school of tiny fish (maybe minnows) and could hear them communicating with each other. They spoke in simple, unintelligent words: "Follow me" and "Go this way" or at least that's how I'd describe it in English. The whole experience was mind-altering and made me feel like I had gained a new level of understanding for the earth.

When I was six I saw a dolphin show. I got to pet the dolphin and it spoke to me. It told me how much it hated people petting him. He said some other dolphins didn't mind, but it made him feel unsafe. He told me how he missed living in the open sea where he could find fish to eat that were still alive and swimming. He went on about how much he despised dead fish being held over the water's surface. I could feel his pain and I could relate with him emotionally. I told him how my uncle often had me jump through hula hoops so he could give me Skittles. My uncle always had fun at my expense, and the dolphin understood completely. Dolphins really are intelligent animals.

I begged my parents to take me back to the sea park throughout my childhood and I had befriended a lot of dolphins and belugas. I won the trust and kindness of many fish and sea mammals. We talked of helping others and how through such help, we could eventually help the sea creatures live free again.

I was eight the first time I saved a man's life with the help of a shoal of fish. He was being pulled out to sea from an undertow, and I called the fish telepathically to help him. They swam in circles around him and guided him back to shore.

One year later I foiled a bank heist when two robbers tried to take out a beach front bank. They tried to get away with bags of cash in a motorboat, and luckily there were jellyfish and stingrays nearby. I told my sea friends how these robbers were endangering them, and they leapt onto the boat and stung the crap out of them.

I wanted everyone to know I saved the day, but I couldn't give out my identity. Then robbers would know the truth, and beachside robberies could continue. I donned a costume I made from fishnets and scuba gear, and the next time I stopped evildoers with my fish friends, I proclaimed to the world I was Aquaboy.

That's when DC comics got mad and sued my alter-ego. The police didn't want my help anymore because they felt I was just a dull ripoff of a dull superhero. I figured if I wasn't going to make people feel good about my deeds, I'd just let it go.

From then on I still felt the sensations of fish-talk, but I just keep it to myself and occasionally spill the beans on message boards.

insertwackynamehere said:
...I felt as though I was in a dream and I didn't feel connected to myself or people around me...

That's pretty much everyday for me. I find the fact that if I react to it as though it's a big deal is unusual morseso than the thing itself.
It used to really freak me out...but it's been consistently happening since I was 11. so...12 years, heh.

Oh! and also the mirror bit.

EDIT: Wait...how the hell is it possible this reply is showing up BEFORE what he actually said it?!

(Oh, timezone-related or such I guess)

First time drunk was in 8th grade. So like, 14. Smoked weed for the first time in 9th grade. Haven't really done anything else.

uhh... not much, I remember some odd stuff happening after I was in a car accident as a toddler. Ihe only thing I can really describe is that at one point I was riding a lift from the emergency room and it appeared to flip upside down for a moment.

Let's see where to begin.

DREAMS AND NIGHTTIME
Besides normal dreams being an altered state of consciousness, which I'm sure we could have a whole other thread on, I'll just say that I've had some dreams where I'm half awake and still dreaming, for example I used to sometimes have dreams where I'd be chased by bees and I'd move around my bed, while consciously awake and yet so half-asleep/tired that I thought they were chasing me in real life. I knew I was moving because I was technically awake but I was so close to being asleep that everything was blurring together from fantasy and reality. The same happens when I start nodding off in class except on a smaller scale.

Also, Danarchy came up with the idea of muffin time. When you are really tired the word "muffin" becomes hilarious. This is true, extreme tiredness changes you a lot, and I've experienced it.

PHYSICAL ILLNESS
Once, in the middle of the night I was tossing and turning, extremely sick with some sort of flu-like fever I had just started experiencing. This was in elementary school. I think I told my mom but as I struggled to go to bed, a mixture of fever hallucinations, dreaming and pre-dream imagery (I forget the technical term) caused me to think I was in school, sick, going to the nurse trying to get a hold of my mom to pick me up. It was a very stressful hallucination/dream which didn't help my overall feeling of crappiness. The reason I don't think that this was a dream was because I remember staring at my wall and sort of projecting the images onto it mentally almost..it was probably half real dream/half fever dream.

NEUROTIC/MENTAL
I've always been prone to panic attacks and stuff, especially in middle school, and the primal terror experienced by an irrational fight or flight reaction to a non-threat is a horrible feeling.

Also, in 8th grade, I went through about three days while having a lot of anxiety where I experienced derealization and depersonalization. Basically, I felt as though I was in a dream and I didn't feel connected to myself or people around me. It was not fun, it's hard to describe, but it's similar to the feeling you get sometimes when you look in a mirror and you have a strange and sudden realization that the person in the mirror is you and it totally hits you hard and makes you start to laugh at the idea of it.. you see yourself but you don't feel connected to yourself. Except those last for about 30 seconds and happen occasionally, this thing was anxiety induced and lasted for about 3 days and I just felt a disconnection from everything kind of.

DRUG
Caffeine wise, you can read about here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35008

When I first tried marijuana, it was an interesting feeling. I felt happy, I noticed individuals bricks and stuff in the sidewalk, I sucked at Jenga, sequins were really shiny, starbursts tasted stronger than usual.. you know the usual stuff. It was more subtle than I expected however, but I really didn't do much. I noticed my whistles sounded amazing crisp and clear. The name Whistle Crispers popped into my head and I found it hilarious because I thought it sounded like the name of a british spy or something. It made me laugh at the time :/

Also, in 8th grade, I went through about three days while having a lot of anxiety where I experienced derealization and depersonalization. Basically, I felt as though I was in a dream and I didn't feel connected to myself or people around me. It was not fun, it's hard to describe, but it's similar to the feeling you get sometimes when you look in a mirror and you have a strange and sudden realization that the person in the mirror is you and it totally hits you hard and makes you start to laugh at the idea of it.. you see yourself but you don't feel connected to yourself. Except those last for about 30 seconds and happen occasionally, this thing was anxiety induced and lasted for about 3 days and I just felt a disconnection from everything kind of.

...this is what I've felt since the last extremely emotional day of my life, a little under a year ago. I've been trying to put my finger on it and haven't been able to describe it... but you pretty much just did. Wow.

How does that song go?

I don't mind yeah
I don't mind yeah
Lost my mind yeah
Can't find it anywhere

A few weeks ago I had a bit of a weird experience. It was in the afternoon, and I was falling asleep on my bed, and then for a split second I felt as if i was everyone. As if everyone in the world is just one person. it was an amazing concept that I could only really get at when half asleep.

also many times in the past I've had sleep paralysis, where I'd wake up half-asleep, half-way (like wackyname) but couldn't move. its pretty terrifying :(

Xenphire said:

...this is what I've felt since the last extremely emotional day of my life, a little under a year ago. I've been trying to put my finger on it and haven't been able to describe it... but you pretty much just did. Wow.

You can read more on wikipedia about depersonalization and derealization. Also, if you think its been going on for that long, than I suggest going to a psychologist or a therapist because it could be anxiety related, or on it's own.

Foofoo said:

also many times in the past I've had sleep paralysis, where I'd wake up half-asleep, half-way (like wackyname) but couldn't move. its pretty terrifying :(

Aye, I've had that before. I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to move, and there was some malicious person standing on my chest. Freaky as hell. However after some reading I found out this is not uncommon at all.

You can read more on wikipedia about depersonalization and derealization. Also, if you think its been going on for that long, than I suggest going to a psychologist or a therapist because it could be anxiety related, or on it's own.

Actually after reading that I looked up a bunch of information on it. Seems like a cross between a severe case of apathy and that. Now that I think I know whats wrong maybe I can get something done about it.

about 20 years ago I ate magic mushrooms and everything seemed like 2 dimensional. I felt squashed flat and couldn't look up or down cus there was no up or down. I tried to relax and enjoy it but after the TV kept melting into the floor, I went to bed and prayed and promised I would never do that again. I haven't.

Year ago i had some kind of other altered state of conciousness, i was so pissed off that day so i started to shake, felt like i'm losing my conciousness! it was so fucking crazy, took a pill and everything was fine then

today I gave blood for the second time and felt a bit woozy. I listened to comfortably numb before hand lol (okay okay okay, just a little pinprick *ting*, there'll be no more "AHHHHH", but you may feel your a little SICK). I'm pretty sure that they're describing heroin use, but since trying heroin isnt really a top priority of mine, the closest I can get is by donating blood lol (i'm being sarcastic for those of you who might not recognize it).

Erp said:

about 20 years ago I ate magic mushrooms and everything seemed like 2 dimensional. I felt squashed flat and couldn't look up or down cus there was no up or down. I tried to relax and enjoy it but after the TV kept melting into the floor, I went to bed and prayed and promised I would never do that again. I haven't.

Similar thing happened to me when I ate magic mushrooms. The world was 2D and I felt squashed thin. But squashed from front to back, so only my profile existed. I felt like I could jump ten feet high and when I tried, there was this weird sound effect and I was able to punch through the brick blocks in the ceiling. I grew this crazy moustache and saw floating coins and these weird walking mushrooms with goofy faces, but they were in 2D too so I shouldn't have been able to see them but I did.

GGG said:

Similar thing happened to me when I ate magic mushrooms. The world was 2D and I felt squashed thin. But squashed from front to back, so only my profile existed. I felt like I could jump ten feet high and when I tried, there was this weird sound effect and I was able to punch through the brick blocks in the ceiling. I grew this crazy moustache and saw floating coins and these weird walking mushrooms with goofy faces, but they were in 2D too so I shouldn't have been able to see them but I did.

You're not contributing anything to this thread other than trash. Post a real experience or GTFO of my thread :-P