Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

March Madness [basketball]

All I know is it's going to be highly inaccurate, since most of my favorites didn't make it.
Also, I don't see top seeds making the Final Four.

GGG said:

Also, I don't see top seeds making the Final Four.

Weird, this is one of the few years I can remember where I feel like any of the 1 and 2 seeds have a great chance of getting to the Final Four.

My first draft bracket is pretty boring, but I have a somewhat unorthodox final, Wisconsin vs. Texas A&M. But it'll probably change to Kansas once I start getting serious about this.

It seems like the more I know about college basketball, the harder it is to fill these out because I start thinking too much.

So, I don't follow college sports or college basketball much, but on Facebook they have a digital bracket you can set up (well could set up, now its locked from changes) and you can win $25000 so I decided to give it a shot. I looked at the seeds, got some gut feelings and filled it out. So far I'm Ranked #1 on Facebook (with thousands of other people), 100% of my picks are right so far and I have 8 points. Of course the first round isn't even over :P Anyway, does anyone actually follow college basketball for real? How is everyone else doing? I have UCLA v. UNC with UCLA winning the Nationals. But like I said, I really know nothing about this, thats just how I ended up while filling out the bracket with my limited knowledge of the teams.

UCLA is making me nervous right now.. Weber St is right behind them. My other picks currently playing are doing fine right now..Duke, Ohio St, MSU, all winning.

EDIT: UCLA looks like its doing okay now, but Duke.. they're breaking my balls over here

My bracket's fucked to high heaven. I just had to go for the upsets. Damned accurate seeding choices.

Well, Duke. This is all I have to say.

Well, I dont have one right now, but I might decide to pot one in the semi-near future (assuming I still don't assume it's pointless). I actually do enjoy these things, but I just can't bring myself to it without a little push

GGG said:

haha nice.. I don't personally like Duke but I put them in my bracket anyway and they failed me :( luckily I didn't have them going past the second round. In fact, all the teams I picked that lost aren't going past the second round for me, yet at least.

insertwackynamehere said:

Anyway, does anyone actually follow college basketball for real?

Yes.

I'm not super into it compared to like, professional baseball or football, but I am a huge Pitt fan (naturally) and I watch almost all of their games. As such, the Big East is my area of expertise, but I occasionally watch whatever else happens to be on, and I at least pay attention to scores. I'd say I know enough to make pretty educated guesses when it comes to filling out a bracket, but I'm not like one of those people who knows every player on every team.

How is everyone else doing?[/b]

16/23 so far as of halftime in the Oregon/Miami, OH game, but only one of my sweet 16 teams is gone.

I have UCLA v. UNC with UCLA winning the Nationals. But like I said, I really know nothing about this, thats just how I ended up while filling out the bracket with my limited knowledge of the teams.

I have Kansas over Oregon, Texas A&M over Georgetown in the Final Four, Kansas over A&M in the final.

Yes, that's been making its rounds lately. Excellent stuff.

haha nice.. I don't personally like Duke but I put them in my bracket anyway and they failed me :( luckily I didn't have them going past the second round. In fact, all the teams I picked that lost aren't going past the second round for me, yet at least.

That's really good. First and even second round performance isn't nearly as important as getting all of your Elite Eight/Final Four teams through. I was something like 29/32 in the first round last year, but ended up losing two of my Final Four by the end of the second round.

heh I think I'm getting more into it thanks to getting a bracket and all. I have my firefox window opened with my bracket, ncaa live scores and live free video, and everything. Right now, VATech and Kansas and in a few, Arizona and Texas are who I'm rooting for. I have 20 points right now and I'm still free of bad picks that continue past Round II.

vatech is making me nervous, but its the beginning so I won't worry yet.

holy crap va won! so did kansas and texas! score! i've got kansas going up to the regionals but I'm not too worried about them.. 107 to 67 in thier favor this game :) arizona lost but w/e didn't have them going past 2nd anyway.

now go Southern Illinois and Kentucky!

EDIT: First round is over, I'm 27 for 32 and none of my bad picks are going past second round.

Yeah, it's amazing how into it people get when they start filling out brackets, even if they ordinarily couldn't care less. The year I was most into it was the year Pitt lost in the first round, and that's because I had a killer bracket that year and it won me the most money. That was two years ago, when UNC and Illinois met in the final, I had 7 of 8 Elite 8 teams and 3 of 4 Final Four, plus the exact championship game. It came down to a tiebreaker, which is closest to calling the correct score in the final, and I was just 5 total points off.

Ralphis said:

Poor Villanova :(

Woulda gotten raped by Kansas anyway.

Well, five of my Sweet Sixteen choices are out. Four of them are no surprise, but I didn't expect Wisconsin to be eliminated this early.

alexz721 said:

but I didn't expect Wisconsin to be eliminated this early.

Same here, and same for Texas. I was also wrong about Virginia Tech, so that's total of three wrong for me from the Sweet 16.

I've lost 5 of 16 Sweet 16 teams, and 1 of my Elite 8, but my Final Four is still intact. At this point though I'd rather just see Pitt make it past the Sweet 16 for once. If that happens, I wouldn't care if my bracket completely shit the bed. I'd be satisfied.

alexz721 said:

I have Pitt losing in the Sweet 16 to UCLA because I just plain don't like them! :D

Why? Do you like another Big East school or something?

Cause Pitt's hardly a hateable team for a casual/objective college basketball fan.

Kid Airbag said:

Why? Do you like another Big East school or something?

Cause Pitt's hardly a hateable team for a casual/objective college basketball fan.

Yeah, I go to UConn, and aside from Syracuse, they've been our nemesis for some time.

alexz721 said:

Yeah, I go to UConn, and aside from Syracuse, they've been our nemesis for some time.

Haha, of course, that makes perfect sense. I respected the Okafor UConn teams because Emeka was such a classy guy, but I hate Jim Calhoun and I can't stand the teams he's had since Okafor left.

alexz721 said:

Uh, how about the ones before?

Haha, Pitt wasn't good enough before for it to really matter. I guess I've never really been a fan of the UConn basketball program, but when your team is bad it's hard to really build good rivalries.