Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

doomdefs (gzdoom)

Hey all, me again.

I was browsing my wad collection and the wiki, came across zendynamics, which used dynamic lights, and were defined in a lump called DOOMDEFS.

I copied what they had in there into my own wad, and presto! Dynamic lights, but the thing is that I wanted to know what else can be done with that lump and/or how to make lights be clipped by one-sided lines or raised sectors (they dont by default for some reason and turning on the "Clip Dynamic Lights" setting in the menu did nothing).

So I went to the wiki, typed in DOOMDEFS (typing in the lump name should work right?)

Not'n.

Is it not tagged right or is it just not in the zdoom wiki at all?

Questions that need answering:
1. How to make sectors with different heights and/or one-sided lines clip dynamic lights.
2. Where is the wiki page on DOOMDEFS?
3. What can be done in the DOOMDEFS lump?

all help appreciated!

EDIT: Heres an example of whats happening, notice the light shines on the ceiling through the border around the light:

http://www.freewebs.com/steeveeo3001/dynlight.jpg

Ah yeah I know what you are talking about but I don't have a clue how to solve this issue.

would it be in fact possible to create a Cone Light (aka Spot Light) instead of a Point Light? You could define which way the spotlight points using the syntax along the line of byte angles (0 to 255), pitch(180 to -180), and cone angle (degrees).

Even if its not in the current version of GZDoom, is there any way it could be coded into later versions?

I asked for a directional light along the lines you suggest some time ago. Difficult/not possible/not going to happen I'm afraid.

@Enjay: Damn, it would be really useful to have, all my fake ambient lights that use sector lighting look like crap

@Kristus: no

I dont have Doom3 and I played it on my friends comp and thought it sucked, so Im stickin with GZDoom

but heres an idea, someone made it so the aiming camera points at a tagged object, so why not have an angled light do the same?

Steeveeo said:

but heres an idea, someone made it so the aiming camera points at a tagged object, so why not have an angled light do the same?

Because proper light calculations are much more complicated than aiming a camera. For this to work right you have to calculate for every single pixel whether it is affected by a light or not. Modern engines are written with such demands in mind but Doom is far too old for this.

Graf Zahl said:

Modern engines are written with such demands in mind but Doom is far too old for this.

That's a bit defeatist :)

Doom's BSP tree is perfectly usable to compute light shadowing by one-sided walls. How many of these lights you could support at a decent framerate... well that's another story.

Doomsday seemed to work with Dynamic lights (no spot lights) but they didnt seem to go thru any walls (raised floors or one sided lines) like in GZDoom

(many reasons why I dont use DD, so dont say to do so)