Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomGater

Doom Patcher

I just released an early version of an universal patching software, which can apply all major updates as well as ALL BACKDATES to any valid DOOM IWAD. BTW it is a quite convenient tool for identifying your IWADs actual version. It is not hte final version and has WAY TOO MANY typos in there, but in the next weeks I'll don't have time to fix it and so I decided to release. Maybe somebody thinks this is useful:

http://doomgate.de/files/ladopato/index.html

What is the point of such a patcher, since official Id patches already do this (and updates are seldom only to the IWAD, but to the .exe as well) ?

There's only some room for such a tool in downgrades, provided of course someone can build a database of patches to apply retroactively to a specific version, and the tool can conveniently apply patching to more than one file.

seems useful enough to me.

considering "it is a quite convenient tool for identifying your IWADs actual version," and that the official patches DON'T feature this, i don't see why maes is trying to tear down his work.

keep it up, doomgater.

OK, in the (unlikely?) event that you have just lots of loose IWADS floating around without a paired .exe and readme.txt and whatever else comes with a normal vanilla doom shareware or registered installation of Doom, and no way of "guessing" what version they could be ("I took those from the Collector Edition...hmm...maybe they are 1.9 ???") then the auto-detection functionality COULD be useful.

The ID patchers don't do any detection because they only work with one specific version of DOOM (including IWAD and EXE), and either you have it or you don't, they don't "adapt" or anything.

I am not trying to tear down the tool, only pointing out it will be useless without a very detailed version databasing job behind it (that means you have to know which bytes change in EVERY file the user is supposed to have when upgrading/downgrading from/to any two known versions.

Unless the tool comes with a database to do just that, it CAN'T be better than ID's patcher in any way.

Edit: from the docs it seems it actually has a "any version to any other" database, and so far it's good, however it only works for IWADs, not .exes, so it cannot replace official patches yet.

Seems pretty useful to me: it collects several patches in one place and allows up/downgrades to any other version. What would be really nice is if the .exes, utilities and text files distributed with the original versions could be generated as well (if they aren't already, that is; I haven't looked at the .zip yet). (And some of the pirated versions, for that matter, although that's unlikely to be legal...)

Plus it's cross-platform, in the sense that only bspatch is needed instead of DOSBox. And far less work, it seems...

Not terribly useful without an exe patcher, seeing as most ports require a 1.9 IWAD, however good work, keep it up.

I think this is a really good fun little tool. I don't know how useful it is but as a bit of a Doom curiosity, it's great.

Seems pretty cool. Drop me a Private Message when you've got a final build and I'll make a news thread on it for you, ok? Keep up the good work.

EDIT : like it has been suggested, I think it'd be stellar if the .exes were included.

This is actually a pretty nice tool you have, and the fact that it uses the pre-existing bspatch is a bonus (cross-platform, and there's no reason to right a whole new patch format when a perfectly good one already exists). It's not a direct conversion between the "middle" versions though, as you'd have to upgrade to the latest then download; it's really a non-issue when it's so quick anyway :P

Is there any plan to support patching DOOM Shareware, or at least providing all the versions? (Hey, it's for completeness)

On another note, since this is somewhat of a tool/project to have a convenient way to switch between versions, any possibility of having all the EXEs bundled up into one ZIP?

Edit: You don't have Shareware 1.8 or 1.9 EXEs on there either; don't know where you can get 1.8 (besides the WAD), but 1.9 is at ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/

Edit2: A couple things:
1. Final Doom's binaries are exactly the same for either Plutonia or TNT, no need to have basically renamed ZIP files for each.
2. All the shareware versions are also available at the following, just install in DOSbox I guess to get copies of the IWADs and engine/setup/whatever: http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/historic/

Hi everybody,
and thanks for all the feedback. I just updated the 'Lazy Doomers Patching Tool' to V 0.8. Now it can identify all known Pre-Release and Shareware-versions, too. NO, it can not Patch them :-). I got lots of feedback, mainly asking why I did not make a 'patch every file in the original distribution'-patcher. Here are my reasons:

- much more work (It is not called Lazy Doomers Patching tool for nothing :-))

- no target group: People are mainly interested in the differences in level design through the versions. They just want to throw the different IWAD-versions into their favourite DOOM Port and have a look...

- no need (1): Most of the files are available for download, so why write a another patcher?

- no need (2): If one should REALLY, REALLY want to have all files patched - hey- why not use the official id software patches ?

I changed the hompage a little bit and added downloads for ALL
PRE-RELEASE and SHAREWARE-VERSIONS, too:

http://doomgate.de/files/ladopato

I prepared pre-installed ZIP-Files, so you do not have to fuss around with id software's ancient 'deice' installer anymore.

BTW: Does anybody have other versions of DOOM lying around? I guess there must be a DOOM V1.7, but I could not find it?!?!

MikeRS said:
1. Final Doom's binaries are exactly the same for either Plutonia or TNT, no need to have basically renamed ZIP files for each.

Oh, yes, I see - THANKS!!

Hobbs said:
Not terribly useful without an exe patcher, seeing as most ports require a 1.9 IWAD, however good work, keep it up.

Did you know, that many Ports (Doomsday...) can use old IWADS as Addons? Simply use (for example) Ultimate DOOM as Main Game IWAD and load another, ancient IWAD like a PWAD!

DoomGater said:

Did you know, that many Ports (Doomsday...) can use old IWADS as Addons? Simply use (for example) Ultimate DOOM as Main Game IWAD and load another, ancient IWAD like a PWAD!

Probably they can even used them as IWADS, but the point is that the above utility, while great, will not be a complete replacement for Id's official patching programs unless it also handles the original .exes and any other file that came with them, unless ofc someone states that vanilla .exes are not that important anymore.

Er, although neat, its not really important to have anything but the main game executable and the iwad (and the setup, but I think you can use 1.9 setup to write the config for any version).

DoomGater said:

- no target group: People are mainly interested in the differences in level design through the versions.

I also like poking around inside the IWADs to see which resources came and went, and when they did so.

DoomGater said:

- no target group: People are mainly interested in the differences in level design through the versions. They just want to throw the different IWAD-versions into their favourite DOOM Port and have a look...

There's the problem. The ports are usually made for the latest IWAD's. To experience the map differences, you should use the EXE which came with them. Loading like a PWAD doesn't solve all issues, since the status bar has different names in v1.1, for instance. Not to speak of the slightly different rules the older EXE's had like no amor-limit, no deathmatch 2.0, no nightmare, different network code, really nasty movements on demo recording, 666-triggers, low sidedef limit, high-sector-moire etc.

- no need (1): Most of the files are available for download, so why write a another patcher?

That's a point. That's why a simple EXE collection was suggested. Could be well an optional download, for those interrested.

- no need (2): If one should REALLY, REALLY want to have all files patched - hey- why not use the official id software patches ?

Convenience. Your tools has a GUI and also is extremely fast. Plus, not every one has a DOS environment available.

Hobbs said:

Er, although neat, its not really important to have anything but the main game executable and the iwad (and the setup, but I think you can use 1.9 setup to write the config for any version).

Not all. Some early versions forced you to use c:\doomdata\ as the save directory. I think, you can use the v1.9 setup for 1.2 and above, though. Just don't use unsupported sound cards or more than 4 channel with early versions. Sersetup is no problem either, as it was first supported in v1.2 anyways. You just can not select any episode 4 map, apparently.

Another essential requirement for a tool capable of replacing official patchers would be 16-bit DOS compatibility, like the patches. In other words, if DOSBOX cannot run it, it kinda misses the purpose. I like those "worst case" scenarios, so imagine the last computer on earth is a 486 that can run vanilla Doom :-p

You'll need a trustworthy and reliable tool to really preserve its legacy ;-)

LogicDeLuxe said:

There's the problem. The ports are usually made for the latest IWAD's. To experience the map differences, you should use the EXE which came with them. Loading like a PWAD doesn't solve all issues, since the status bar has different names in v1.1, for instance. Not to speak of the slightly different rules the older EXE's had like no amor-limit, no deathmatch 2.0, no nightmare, different network code, really nasty movements on demo recording, 666-triggers, low sidedef limit, high-sector-moire etc.
That's a point. That's why a simple EXE collection was suggested. Could be well an optional download, for those interrested.

That's probably why he already has an EXE collection there. All of the important files concerning the engine, setup, and network features seem to be in there, it's just missing all the pointless text files etc.

Convenience. Your tools has a GUI and also is extremely fast. Plus, not every one has a DOS environment available.

Moot point, the ID patchers aren't hard to use really. DOS environments exist which are free (DOSbox runs the game, patchers, installers fine; FreeDOS also exists which runs on hardware natively (or you can use it in QEMU)).

Not all. Some early versions forced you to use c:\doomdata\ as the save directory. I think, you can use the v1.9 setup for 1.2 and above, though. Just don't use unsupported sound cards or more than 4 channel with early versions. Sersetup is no problem either, as it was first supported in v1.2 anyways. You just can not select any episode 4 map, apparently.

Once again, the binaries are on his site anyway, there's nothing to debate :)

Maes said:

Another essential requirement for a tool capable of replacing official patchers would be 16-bit DOS compatibility, like the patches.

Right. But 'Lazy Doomers Patching Tool' was never intented to replace the official patches. So what is your point?

Maes said:
(...)so imagine the last computer on earth is a 486 that can run vanilla Doom :-p
[/B]

Minimum Requirement for DOOM is a 386, not a 486!

Maes said:

Another essential requirement for a tool capable of replacing official patchers would be 16-bit DOS compatibility, like the patches. In other words, if DOSBOX cannot run it, it kinda misses the purpose. I like those "worst case" scenarios, so imagine the last computer on earth is a 486 that can run vanilla Doom :-p

What? The 386 and 486 are 32-bit processors, so what's the problem?

leileilol said:

(...) so what's the problem?

I don't know, what the problem is. Maes obviously doeesn't like my patcher, but that's no prob for me ;-)

leileilol said:

What? The 386 and 486 are 32-bit processors, so what's the problem?

The problem is that unless you compile stuff with an MS-DOS friendly compiler, you will get a nice "This program cannot be ran in DOS mode" error message. Compiled as a console app != compiled as an MS DOS app

And no, I don't have anything against the patchers (by itself it's a good idea) but in its current form it cannot be a replacement for Id's official patchers. E.g. Id's patchers, if need be, can be loaded on a floppy disk and upgrade a copy of doom running on a 386 with MS-DOS 5.0, unless Gator's patcher can do the same it cannot be considered a substitute. Maybe a better alternative for modern machines, but not a total substitute.

Maes said:

And no, I don't have anything against the patchers (by itself it's a good idea) but in its current form it cannot be a replacement for Id's official patchers.

DoomGater said:

Right. But 'Lazy Doomers Patching Tool' was never intented to replace the official patches. So what is your point?

HELLO??

DoomGater said:

Whoah whoah, hold yer horses, that's the first time in the entire thread that the AUTHOR says it's not intended as an Id patcher replacement (and only now I noticed). I respect that, I "got it", let's see when others will "get it" too. So everybody happy?

Maes said:
that's the first time in the entire thread that the AUTHOR says it's not intended as an Id patcher replacement

Actually, even if he had intended that in some way, he can't do anything about it, because id's patches are on id's FTP server, and no one but id can replace them. Otherwise, usagewise, this does not replace them any more than Whacked replaces DeHackEd, or something like that. Obviously, anyone using DOS or trusting only the official releases will go for id's patches, but anyone on a newer system finding this megapatch convenient or otherwise useful, will apply it instead, or in addition.

Maes said:

Maybe a better alternative for modern machines, but not a total substitute.

I guess, that was the point. Why would one need a replacement Patcher when running MS-DOS 5 anyway?

Considering the discovery lately, updating the patcher makes sense. I'd say, the unofficial tnt.wad patch should be replaced with the official one. And whatever changes were made to plutonia.wad should be available as well.

Awesome necro, dude. I had totally forgot about this thread. Boy, was I bitter for no good reason or what ;-)