Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bonxy

CTF in DoomBuilder

Hi All

I'm just finding my way around doombuilder and i figured most of the stuff out and got a map to work in doom (zdoom), i now want to make a ctf map but cant see any red/blue flags in things.

Does anyone know how to do it ????.

If this is a dumb question that has been answered many times can you please point me to the thread as i have had no luck in serching for an answer.

Hi

Had a look at Skulltag and it looks good but does not seem to be an editor ?.

It does not apear to enable creating new maps ?

Skulltag is an engine, he meant switch DoomBuilder into Skulltag mode (when you open a map you get that drop-down box, near the end is a list of Skulltag modes)

Ah i see

you have to get the skulltag engine then select that when you create a new map ?.

sorry for being a noob but Im only new to editing, i been playing doom from the start.

Please feel free to send me any further info and instructions :--)

Ok

I installed skulltag and set the path to it in doombuilder but it wont seem to load maps properly from the skulltag wad file, they just look like a mess of linedefs with no proper sectors.

I tried next to build a new map using the skulltag wad but that doesnt work either.

can anyone tell me the procedure for making a ctf map in doombuilder using the skulltag wad.

Help please !! its driving me nuts, soooo many files/folders and wads AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

In the file configuration, choose doom2.wad for the Skulltag configuration instead of skulltag.wad, since that's not an IWAD. That should work. :)

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
I been at it all day today trying to figure it out and i finaly got it going.

For configuration in files tab i used (skulltag in doom format)= (doom2.wad)

for testing tab i used (skulltag.exe)
-----------------

after that was set up i created a new map with configuration (skulltag in doom format)
(MAP01)
aditional textures from (skulltag.wad)

The map seems to work now and i run it with ZDAEMON and ZSLITE server.

I found it a lot more complicated to set up than doombuilder is to use.

The only thing i have not figured out is why there are no sounds when the flag is taken/captured/returned.

dont worry, we all had to start where you are right now.

Skulltag should be ZDoom compatible, so it should support ACS scripting (I dont use or even have Skulltag yet, and probly wont for awhile, so Im not too entirely sure)

but you should be able to create a box around the flags that would call a script that would play a sound if the item (flag) is picked up.

zdoom.org/wiki/

thats where you'll find a lot of scripting answers and some others

Hi Steeveeo

I'm getting the hang of it now, I think the hardest part is dealing with all the diffrent engines and wad files and configurations., it gets confusing.

I dont think i will ever start any scripting, i dont wanna get that deep as i can only do this map making thing at w/ends etc, i dont have tons of time to throw at it.

I just fancy making a ctf map and trying to get it on Zdaemon.

It will take me ages i think lol :--)

Ps: If you made a wad feel free to send it to me :--)

I've got a ZDaemon CTF configuration... don't know where I got it from though. :o

About the sound, if you add zvox2.wad (or some other vox wad) to your server/game you'll hear those "Blue flag taken"-and-stuff sounds. If that's what you meant.

Hi OobyDoo

Yes thats what i was after, i will have a look around for those vox files, do you know how to add them to the game ?.

not sure what you meant by > i have a ctf configuration ?.

anyway thanks for the info, i'm off now to hunt for vox files :--)

Update

I already have the zvox2.wad in my zdaemon/wads dir.
So i just need to figure out how to make it work with my map.

I will continue to investigate :-)

You don't really need a special config. Just create the level normally and then when you want to add flags and starts, just load the exact same map in Skulltag mode and add flags and team starts, since the CTF Standard item numbers are the same as Skulltags.

And why do you need zvox2.wad to edit CTF maps? That's just a voice pack, you don't need it when editing.

Hi AlexMax

I got the map working with skulltag and the flags seem to work ok, thats fine but when the flags are taken in the game the voice doesnt say flag take/returened etc.

I need to know how to make my map use the vox file when the flags are taken/returned and someone scores etc ?.

Any idea how to do it ?.

Bonxy said:

Hi

Had a look at Skulltag and it looks good but does not seem to be an editor ?.

It does not apear to enable creating new maps ?

Skulltag is a Sourceport for which has Deathmatch, Team Dm, Ctf, Last man standing and Team LMS, etc. Switch to SkullTag and look at it's textures which are meant for Single and Multiplayer usage, liek now I'm just making something i haven before. You should try it since it has some additions with it. (You'll see if you look at weapons and monsters).

Bonxy said:

Hi AlexMax

I got the map working with skulltag and the flags seem to work ok, thats fine but when the flags are taken in the game the voice doesnt say flag take/returened etc.

I need to know how to make my map use the vox file when the flags are taken/returned and someone scores etc ?.

Any idea how to do it ?.

You must have Skulltag source port inorder to have the voice, and if you are running it, go to Options>Sound and Change the 'No Announcer ' (what ever it says) and put it on what appears next.

Bonxy said:

Hi AlexMax

Any idea how to do it ?.

ZDaemon's CTF mode is really wonky, it only "works" if you're actually connected to a real server, if you try to test CTF modes locally it acts like you describe. Don't worry, your CTF map will work when hosted on a real server, it's just that ZDaemons's local play is really wonky in general.

Mithral_Demon said:

You must have Skulltag source port inorder to have the voice, and if you are running it, go to Options>Sound and Change the 'No Announcer ' (what ever it says) and put it on what appears next.

He's not trying to get the announcer working in Skulltag. In ZDaemon, the announcer is stored in an external optional WAD file and is automatically used if loaded.