Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jobro

it's a hazey maze

Here is something I'm working on:

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=894

Each time you run the wad it automaticaly creates a new maze for you with new textures, sector lightning effects, even fog in different colors. Any enemy of any class spawns in never so often to make your life a hell. You dunno how each round will look.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Some tool named Darkhaven did something like this a while back. Though clearly his was much simpler, and didn't do fog or any of that fancy stuff. Is this one by chance based on that one?

Regardless, very nice work, man. I like the idea of WADs that random-gen themselves.

Fisk said:

Is this one by chance based on that one?

No I have made this on my own.

If I want randomized mazes, I'll use the random level generator for Wolfenstein 3D. :D

The fog in DM is nice. The maze isn't.

GGG said:

The fog in DM is nice. The maze isn't.

as in its bad in this level or in general? Because if its the former then I could probly use a micro version of this for a DM arena type thing Im (trying) to make

I restarted to map out the sectors from scratch giving them a proper tag on the fly. The reason was that DoomBuilder crashed and corrupted all my sectors. So the next time DB starts it says that it has deleted all unnecesery sectors leaving just the lines and vertieces allright ARGH!! So that's why I started to remap everything to get it right this time.

The maze is randomly generated each time a player enters the level. At least now it is that way. Will most likely change that when the deathmatch element is kicked in.

Steeveeo said:

as in its bad in this level or in general? Because if its the former then I could probly use a micro version of this for a DM arena type thing Im (trying) to make

Complicated mazes aren't a good idea for deathmatch. Getting lost in a deathmatch is frustrating and not fun. Think about if you're a kill behind first place and you spawn in a part of the maze that's away from other players. Part of deathmatch success depends upon (at least partial) familiarity with a map. If you're always stuck trying to find your way through a maze, you can't focus on gunfights. Good DM maps have a relatively simple-to-remember layout.

Steeveeo said:

ah I see, only good for SP, got it

If that was a serious reply, allow me to retort.
Complicated mazes in any Doom map probably aren't a good idea. I made a wad a couple years back chock-full of mazes, and it wasn't received highly.
I'd recommend keeping lengthy mazes out of your maps altogether. Especially if they're just mazes and not say, a complex system of rooms and pipes that form a maze yet don't allow the player to become totally lost.

lol I was kiddin anyway, I hate mazes anywhere, in doom maps, the damn corn maze they have once a year, even on paper!

(too bad Im out of ideas for my DM arena)

I really like this fog effect. The maze idea is pretty cool too, but it depends on how complicated it is. Let us know when it's completed, good work.

gun_psycho said:

Speaking of Darkhaven, does anyone know where I can get that tool?

Heh wait a second, are we talking about the forum user or an actual editing tool?

Lüt said:

Heh wait a second, are we talking about the forum user or an actual editing tool?

I was referring to a tool named Darkhaven, not the forum user.

It will not generate a new level each and every time you run it. What it does is that it takes all existing tagged sectors and lower the ceiling to the floor for some of them. There will be times that some parts of the maze will lock in players, but I'm trying to avoid this as well. Don't hype this up ok?

Well time to shed some light over this project. Floor textures are now randomly selected as well, so fasten your seatbelts, here we go!

All textures are not set yet. This is WIP. But I was thinking more of having some polished wood in it to bring some age randomness. Think about if that area had allmost been finnished and was just waiting for the furniture to arrive. That shows less aged matterials. And there are a metalic surface that is even more shiney.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
jobro said:

It will not generate a new level each and every time you run it. What it does is that it takes all existing tagged sectors and lower the ceiling to the floor for some of them. There will be times that some parts of the maze will lock in players, but I'm trying to avoid this as well. Don't hype this up ok?

A way to avoid this, like I am doing with my experimental map generator (thanks for the inspiration jobro), is to have a string table that stores all the usage data for each individual "cell" of the random level. For each time a cell is used as a wall or for an object placement, I have a function that automatically sets it from 0 to 1, and every time the function loops (it's based on a for() loop), it checks to make sure it's not placing an object in a used cell.

EDIT: Also, my generator uses a lump named "TEXDEFS" to define how it's texturing loop works. What it does is, based on what flat is chosen or what wall is chosen, it runs through a list and checks (randomly) what textures will fit that theme. So basically, first it chooses a flat at random, then it checks the according list for textures that work really well with that flat. When it finds one good wall texture, it then looks for a good alternate to give the level's walls a little variety. If it doesn't find a good enough alternate, it looks at the next best fitting theme. Then finally, it chooses a ceiling flat to match the walls, or just F_SKY1. Fog is then chosen (admittedly a bit haphazardly) by four randomly-chosen variables: R, G, B, and Intensity. And if appropriate with a certain flat, it applies the reflective plane effect.

Not trying to outdo you man, but you may want to take a look at some of my methods.

I admit that I'm intrested. Will not use them in my project tho, funnier to do stuff myself.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

By the way, how are you doing the fog? It looks really badass and for some reason the way I'm doing it just sucks.

No telling now. I will however release the script 2 months after the finnished level is released. This is so I can fix any bugs that may arise.