Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fredrik

A Sad First in the History of the Congress

CSA ASKS MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO SPEAK UP AS CALIFORNIA CONGRESSMAN STARK DENIES GOD’S EXISTENCE

A Sad First in the History of the Congress

Washington, DC – The Christian Seniors Association (CSA) today encouraged members of the Congress to speak of their belief in God on the floor of the House after a liberal California Congressman made history by denying God.

According to Christianity Today, Congressman Pete Stark (D-California) became the first member of Congress to deny the existence of God. "When the Secular Coalition asked me to complete a survey on my religious beliefs, I indicated I am a Unitarian who does not believe in a supreme being."

“It is sad but not surprising that the current Congress has produced this historic first – one of its members has denied God,” said CSA Executive Director James Lafferty. “The liberals in Congress want to throttle any school child who bows his or her head in prayer, but they want to establish a right for liberals to bash Christians and berate God around the clock.

“It is time for religious members of Congress to push back. A simple declaration of a belief in God by members of Congress on the House floor will be greatly informative for the American people. Members who wish to expand could use the ‘special orders’ portion of the House calendar to elaborate but a simple “I believe in God” will suffice.

“We have long recognized that all of this hot air about ‘separation of church and state’ has been a veiled effort to intimidate and silence religious voices in public policy matters.

“If the liberal House leadership refuses to recognize lawmakers who want to affirm their belief in God, then we suggest they add it to the end of floor speeches on other matters.

“Congressman Stark’s statement is a very sad benchmark for America. It could be the moment which defines the decline of our country or it could be the spark which marks an important day. That would be the day that religious Americans stood-up to the liberal bullies who are so determined to use the power of government to silence prayer and every other religious expression of free speech.

“This is a fight which is destined to be fought in America and we think it should begin today.”

http://christiansenior.org/press/031407.php

Sounds like this guy won't have any use for money either since it all says in god we trust. OR do you suppose he will just overlook that?

The founders of this country had that freedom on their minds so I am thinking if he can't represent the founding fathers and the people then he may need a very long vacation. Retirement perhaps?

Searcher said:

Sounds like this guy won't have any use for money either since it all says in god we trust. OR do you suppose he will just overlook that?

The founders of this country had that freedom on their minds so I am thinking if he can't represent the founding fathers and the people then he may need a very long vacation. Retirement perhaps?

So your position is this:

Because the guy said that he's Unitarian, he should be required to throw away all of his money.

Hmm, makes sense!

Searcher said:

not everyone is like mike newdow, buddy

Dr. Zin said:

That's just some Evangelist propoganda rag. In the real world no-one cares.

God will get you for that

Searcher said:

You realise the many (I dare not say most for fear of some waste of life going through to check me and prove me wrong) of the founding fathers of the United States were not christian, but deist. Which is just as bad in these sorts of peoples opinion.

Also, the whole "In god we trust" on money is a rather new thing

Hobbs said:

You realise the many (I dare not say most for fear of some waste of life going through to check me and prove me wrong) of the founding fathers of the United States were not christian, but deist. Which is just as bad in these sorts of peoples opinion.

Also, the whole "In god we trust" on money is a rather new thing

Lol my Catholic Republican friends get up in arms about all the liberal "anti-religious" stuff saying America was founded under people who believed in God. It was found under Deists like you said, actually, who believe in God but that he only created us and doesn't influence us. And they were all birthright Protestants, not Catholics anyway, except for one or two. So the Country really was founded with a separation of Church and State, which basically means they are run separately, not that the Church can't exist (and by Church, I mean organized religion that doesn't threaten the State or it's laws).

The religious right does the most persecution yet acts like it itself is a victim. This is just a clever way of turning the truth on its head. By trying to stir up a controversy over a senator exercising his basic freedom of religion, it is these wackos who are in turn causing religious oppression and discrimination, asking the US government to yet again issue a statement which effectively affirms Christianity as the "correct" religion.

Some one should stand up and just ask what people even mean when they ascertain or deny God's extistence, in the first place. Or why they are even talking about such a subject in Congress, when they evidently have many rather urgent subjects to deal with. That isn't even discussed in proper philisophy congregations and classes nowadays. At the very least not like that (I mean, like a five year old would).

How's it a National Congress' business to determine anything regarding what somthing like God is supposed to be about?

Still, so many subjects are to a large degree dealt in such a Manichean way (i.e., war, terrorism, drugs) that this sort of thing is just a mirror or generic backdrop for that an attitude.

this is so ridiculous. myk said it right. why the hell does it matter what a congressman believes in religiously when there are so many other issues that they could be discussing and resolving? the religious right is worried because one guy says he's not christian and now wants all of congress to state their belief in god? not the place to be doing that. if they want to talk about their beliefs or debate the existence of god, then they should be doing it on their own time and not on my tax dollars.

these right wing assholes are so up in arms over "islamo-fascism", but what they are really trying to establish is a "christian-fascist" society. they want us to blindly follow the government and the their religious tenets like the sheep that they are. how is that not different from what the muslim societies do? I bet if they could they would have inquisitions and purge the homosexuals and heathens from the united states.

meh, had to rant. if I'm off base here I'm sure one of you will let me know.

From what I gathered from the article, it says he was asked about his religion and then responded with his comment.

Reminds me of the Minnesota Representative, Keith Ellison, who wanted his ceremonial swearing in photograph to be done with the Koran. When Religious extremists and Radical Christian representatives decried him for being a... and I quote... threat to "the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America", Ellison asked for Thomas Jefferson's personal copy of the Koran so he could swear in on it.

Conservative Christian articles are too often an overlooked source of amusement.

Yes! Finally someone has answered my wishes. Someone in the governmental system renounced god, let's all celebrate!

Now if ALL people in the government renounced god and practiced all their policies from a atheist standpoint it would be so much easier to go along with what they say. We would finally be able to pass: Stem Cell researching, Gay Marriage (not that I'm gay, but it's pretty dumb that they can't get married), Abortion, abolish the death penalty, among other big debates where religion ALWAYS gets in the way.