Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Does Doom still make you jump?

Even though the game's nearing 14 years old, does Doom (or any of the other classic Doom games) still manage to make you jump?

Does for me... a couple nights ago, I was in Tower Of Babel, and I didn't know where the Cyberdemon was. So, I was going to fill up on rockets in one of the little rooms, and right when I walked in, realized that the room was already occupied... nearly fell off my chair :-)

I had this more than once where I was walking in some dark area of an map and I could hear an imp close by and couldn't find him until I turned around and the bugger was just smack behind me ready to do his melee attack damn it really scared the crap out of me.

Doom monsters still can surprise me after all these years and I love it.

Doom hardly ever makes me jump. The only likely case are if I have the sound off and something like a Pinky manages to get right behind me before I turn around and see a screen full of angry sprite.

It still does when some one puts 2 archies in non-see through walls and a cyber demon just in a room that you LITERRALLY can't see anything!

lol I love 2D 8-bit images, simple, yet effective

@MD: it doesnt make me jump, it just pisses me off...

I jump when a Cyberdemon catches me by surprise. More often I duck my head when a baron fireball flies right next to me.

dutch devil said:
I had this more than once where I was walking in some dark area of an map and I could hear an imp close by and couldn't find him until I turned around and the bugger was just smack behind me ready to do his melee attack damn it really scared the crap out of me.

Imps are one of the most memorable things from when I first played Doom. They occasionally make their crunching growl, so you know they're somewhere nearby, you just can't find them. Until they sneak up behind you, that is.

To this day, they still freak me out...

Doom doesn't make me jump, but some of my levels have made others jump.

Getting hit by an arch-vile certainly makes me jump. It's good for getting to some places you're not supposed to be in yet.

No, for two major reasons:

1) It's too easy to avoid damage in Doom through simple maneuvers.
2) You can hear where your enemies are.

In terms of making me jump (out of fright), Doom is crap compared to Wolf3D. EVERYTHING is crap compared to Wolf3D.

AndrewB said:

In terms of making me jump (out of fright), Doom is crap compared to Wolf3D. EVERYTHING is crap compared to Wolf3D.

Doom's biggest fault is that monsters make sounds when they shouldn't.

Doom still makes me jump if I'm in a tense level and have a lot of adrenaline pumping. Or if it's night time and I have no lights on and I'm playing a level I don't know well and I have a lot of adrenaline in me and a twitching mouse finger.

No, the number one reason being that I like looking for trouble when I play. So when monsters pop out, it just makes it better : P

Eating a rocket near the end of a difficult demo makes my heart stop for a moment.

ive played that game for so long, that I feel practicaly immune to being forced to jump during the game.
I think about four years.

No, and I can't recall when the last time I jumped in a game was. However, I have a bad habit of leaning the direction I'm going to avoid a projectile, regardless of the fact that I know it isn't coming out of the monitor to get me. Or crouching my head down when I hit the crouch key to avoid something. I even have a bad habit of moving my head to try an look over an object on the screen.

Everyone does stuff like that at least to some degree.

I still do jump from time to time, but it's probably because I don't play it nearly as much as most people here and that I still kind of suck at it (and most FPSs) so I have a chance of dieing.

TheLazenby said:

Does for me... a couple nights ago, I was in Tower Of Babel, and I didn't know where the Cyberdemon was. So, I was going to fill up on rockets in one of the little rooms, and right when I walked in, realized that the room was already occupied... nearly fell off my chair :-)

That fucking cyberdemon always shows up where you least expect him to. You'd think with him clomping around that he'd be easier to track down.

AndrewB said:

I agree, everything IS crap compared to Wolf3d...in terms of games making you want to throw up.

hardcore_gamer's point was so right. How can a thing you own frighten you :) ? Besides, to make you jump, Doom would need a force feedback. Now that would rock.

Doom 3 makes me jump more than Doom ever did. Doom did a little in the early days but not so much now. I agree with AndrewB and Dan, Wolf3D could be genuinely suprising at times. The lack of active sounds from the bad guys makes it hard to zero in on them sometimes.

Run n' gun games aren't scary, unless your playing with a PSX/N64/Saturn Doom atmosphere (or Doom 3).

Go play Peter Jackson's King Kong, I guarantee you, you will shit your pants.