Which is the better series?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better series?

• Metal Gear Solid
    • Splinter Cell
    • Both are equal
    • I don`t like either
    • I`ve never played either

A couple days ago I completed Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It perhaps was one of the most fun I've played in awhile. Now, my friend was in the room, and he said something about how the Splinter Cell series were better or whatever. So, I thought the debate would make for an interesting poll here.

For me, my vote goes to the Metal Gear Solid. The characters are alot more memorable, the dialouge is fantastic and funny, and the stories are brilliant.

What do you guys think?

I never thought too much of the Splinter Cell series. Everyone said how Chaos Theory was so awesome and I played the PC version and it was kinda lame. Very consoley and hand-holding, orders of magnitude less freedom than, say, Thief, which is what, 9 years old?

The MGS series isn't very sprawling either, but it's more well rounded anyway.

MGS3 is an amazing game, if your friend doesn't like it then his opinion is pretty much invalid.

Metal Gear Solid, duh. ;)

I think it's probably because of the unique humor, the realistic "future of tommorow, today" setting (and in the case of MGS3, the funky 60s :-D) and the sneaking intermixed with the action makes it a really fun series.

MGS has a superior story and characters. It's generally fleshed out much better.

However I had more plain old fun with SC1 and 2. There's more variety and I prefer the way the whole stealth thing is handled in that one. Never played chaos theory.

I'll hand it to MGS for having characters and a story that the general gamer would find interesting, though I voted both, as I enjoy playing both it and Splinter Cell just about as much.

I voted for MGS series. The games have a great storyline that were memorable and interesting and they also have a memorable cast of characters. Also, the controls were pretty easy to get used to.

However, the splinter cell series insn't too bad. Chaos Theory had coop and that was fun screwing around in the level like throwing bottles at my brother while he tries to hack the security locks or dropping dead or unconsious guards in odd places around the levels.

I prefer the MGS series so I voted for it even if I have never played MGS 3: Snake Eater. The first MGS for PSX was very good: long gameplay, some dangerous situations, gripping story, clever bosses and lots of weapons! I also have MGS 2 Substance for xbox: it's the second best game that I have ever played on that console; the first is Halo. The gameplay is very long, several coups de théatre and well-defined characters. Besides, my version has 5 "Snake Tales" and 7 characters for VR missions to extend gameplay.

I only played Splinter Cell 1 and it didn't impress me. It's too hard even at normal skill.

Definitely MGS, i've played first one years ago and i had played it so many times because story, characters, gameplay were so memorable ;) and three endings

Metal Gear Solid.

Mostly because I've never played Splinter Cell, only seen it played, and didn't think it was uber grate.

*waits for Fisk to come in and break the MGS chain*

My vote goes for MGS. I only ever played the first Splinter Cell but I never got into that much. It had it's moments but for most part I just found it boring.

I particularly enjoyed the MGS3 Secret Theater on the Konami website. Funny shit.

I perfer MGS, mainly because the story pretty much kept me interested throughout the whole game. On the other hand, I have never completed a Splinter Cell game [even though I own the original and Chaos Theory].

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Splinter Cell. Why? Because Bashe is more a faggot than I.

I base my "good" and "bad" for videogames on realism and actual sensible design rather than "lol funney". Being able to hide under a cardboard box was great, but nothing beats the feeling you get when you're just under an enemy trooper's nose, hoping to dear God he doesn't find you and waste that 1% health bar you've got. I.O.W., MGS is just too gimmicky for my tastes.

And all you people that say it's too hard or too boring suck. At life. Elite mode in Chaos Theory is just too easy.

I don't care about realism. I found Metal Gear Solid to be more fun, so my vote goes to that. Just beat Metal Gear Solid 3 for the first time a couple of days ago, and I must say it was quite awesome.

Fisk said:

:'(

Fisk said:

I base my "good" and "bad" for videogames on realism and actual sensible design rather than "lol funney". Being able to hide under a cardboard box was great, but nothing beats the feeling you get when you're just under an enemy trooper's nose, hoping to dear God he doesn't find you and waste that 1% health bar you've got. I.O.W., MGS is just too gimmicky for my tastes.

And all you people that say it's too hard or too boring suck. At life. Elite mode in Chaos Theory is just too easy.

Why do you play games for realism? Games are meant to seperate us from reality, where a Marine carrying 9 weapons can run 50mph and get shot in the face with a 12 gauge and just make an O-face.

Haven't you heard? Games that look more like the everyday world around us are the new craze among kids.

Apparently the notion of being able to carry 9 weapons, run at 50 MPH and take a load of shots in the face and survive is less fun than what passes for a game these days.

Fisk said:

I base my "good" and "bad" for videogames on realism

Your argument lost any and all value at this point.

Anyway, MGS since it doesn't play at a snails pace.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Hey, look, I'm 19. I was around when MGS1 came out for the original PSX. I just found Splinter Cell more entertaining because the enemies were smarter, I had to use a little more skill to maneuver around a level. In a nutshell, when I say "realism", I refer to being able to be immersed in the game's atmosphere without realizing "Oh, it's just a game". MGS didn't do that for me. Being able to run right in front of a guard (basically, given the limited line-of-sight) and not be seen just doesn't seem to be the right way to do a stealth-espionage game.

@DarkArchon: As far as I know, this isn't an argument.

TheDarkArchon said:

Anyway, MGS since it doesn't play at a snails pace.

What really bothered me about SC was the tendency for alarms to go off at random. I remember on one level, no matter how I decided to play through it, as soon as I entered this particular room the alarm went off and I had to restart the level.

Fisk said:

Being able to run right in front of a guard (basically, given the limited line-of-sight) and not be seen just doesn't seem to be the right way to do a stealth-espionage game.

try upping the difficulty beyond easy. It tends to change the way things work.

I like the humor in MGS. But honestly I prefer it more than SC because how it presented it's espionage. SC is sometimes as frustrating as solving a rubrix cube.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Danarchy wins.

Recently played through MGS3 completely. Much better than the previous two, IMO; there's a great flowing story that gives background for Solid Snake and all the more famous/infamous characters of the series, and explains the beginning of Metal Gear. As for realism, I like the idea of survival in the jungle, so MGS3's overall theme is awesome in practice.

I voted Metal Gear Solid, although I don't really like either series. MGS is good, but it gets far too bogged down with the 30 minute cut scenes, and the mediocre controls. Splinter Cell is, well... irritating. I tried playing it, I'd make a loud noise, and everyone in the entire level was after me. It may be realistic, but that doesn't make it fun. Plus Tom Clancy is just a person that wishes he would've been in military service. He knows alot about it, but he's just a middle aged loser living vicariously through other people's experience. Either way, I'd say neither of them are great. The first MGS was really good, the second one was okay but there were far too many cutscense explaining the incredibly boring story. Plus Riven was really irriating. Snake Eater I rented, played for 3 hours, and realized I had only actually had control of Snake for about 45 minutes, so I got bored and played San Andreas instead.

You know, that's the thing with MGS3. I love the cutscenes and I love the plot and characters, but there were LOTS of long cutscenes. I used to absolutely dread playing MGS1 for that same reason, but it kind of grew on me.

Splinter Cell. MGS is made of gameplay consisting of tired in-jokes, boring gameplay, (looooooong) cutscenes, and cheesy story.

Pandora Tomorrow was better than MGS1. Being the only two games from both series that I've played I can only say that the next game I pick is more likely to be one of the SCs, seeing how MGS1 was utter shit.