Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amberleaf

Rumour control

It might be possible, but I highly doubt this. If it is true, I'd like to know who is making this and where is the modified source code?

Seems pretty unlikely. Who the heck would pay for levels? I think that it is against id's wishes to be able to sell maps anyway.

Would be nice if it was real, but
1, Who'd pay for Doom Builder when you get it free for the PC?
2, Why the heck would people pay for maps? Considering how easy it is to map Doom, noone needs to pay for them, even the good ones, XBox whatever would be spammed with loads of shit maps.
3, It'd be seriously hard to map for Doom on an XBox. I think its hard enough playing an FPS on the XBox, and playing an RTS. And now you're gonna map with that controller.

Xaechireon said:

Would be nice if it was real, but
1, Who'd pay for Doom Builder when you get it free for the PC?

The same people who pay $50 for a console game when you can buy the same game for $40 on the PC.

CodeImp said:

It might be possible, but I highly doubt this. If it is true, I'd like to know who is making this and where is the modified source code?

Well considering that you are the creator of Doombuilder, doesn't that mean they would require your permission to sell it? If that is the case, wouldn't you above everyone else in this community know whether this is true?

Craigs said:

Well considering that you are the creator of Doombuilder, doesn't that mean they would require your permission to sell it? If that is the case, wouldn't you above everyone else in this community know whether this is true?

Doom Builder is open source if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, they don't need anyone's permission to do anything with it.

However, they DO need to release the source code. Also, you're confusing the GNU GPL with open source. All software released under the GNU GPL is open source but not all open source code is released under the GNU GPL: ZDoom's source is released under a modified BSD lisence, for example.

doomer524 said:

Doom Builder is open source if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, they don't need anyone's permission to do anything with it.

Surely it must say that you cannot sell it as your own work

Doomguy0505 said:

Surely it must say that you cannot sell it as your own work

GPL allows anything to modified, distributed, sold and whatever as long as it stays GPL or GPL compatible. You can take a program released under the GPL, not edit it at all, stick it on a CD and sell it as is for personal profit if you so felt like it, as long as it stayed under the GPL.