Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

PlayStation 3 launches explosively into Europe

AndrewB said:

Umm it's friggin' near April and it's still sold out everywhere.

Tell me about it. That's going to be a LOT of people stuck with games that have 1-dimensional gameplay.

Mindless Rambler said:

For me, I prefer quality in the products I buy. I have noticed that Nintendo products can easily survive a 3-5 foot drop and still function fine, I know this because I have been rather clumsy at times when transporting them.

Quality and durability don't always run hand in hand.

Csonicgo said:

like those three stereos I bought that broke within 3 months? consecutively? 9 months of hell.
like that Playstation I bought that broke due to a bad CD-ROM? that was just a fluke.
How about that time I bought a walkman that couldn't play MP3s without sound "glitches"?
Or that Sony Viao that I bought that had no SSE support ( it was intentionally blocked), had heating issues, and where the battery lasted 15 minutes Brand new?

Well, I didn't mean all their products were reliable. Still, that's far more problems than I've ever had with Sony. Not that I've actually bought much from them in the past five years.

Someone mentioned only Halo 3 and Mass Effect being the lone 360 exclusives this year, what about CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN??!! Yeah I know, it's also going to be available for the PC of course, but console wise, it's a 360 exclusive.

Bungleist said:

I can think of plenty of other awesome games coming out on that system <snip>, but they're all also coming to the PC and/or PS3

Personally speaking, if a game is on the PC and a console I own, I'll always go with the PC version. There are several reasons for this; from most to least important, these are:

- The game is probably better suited to keyboard + mouse than a gamepad (especially in the case of FPS' and strategy games).
- The console version can't run 3rd party mods.
- The PC version costs less money (typically $10 less).
- The PC version looks better at maximum graphical settings (okay so your PC may not be able to do that *now*, but most likely you'll eventually have a system capable of doing so).

A perfect example is Oblivion. There are so many controls (standard FPS, plus inventory, block, spellcasting, sneak, etc) that playing with a gamepad almost seems unfeasible. There are literally hundreds of awesome mods available for the PC version of the game, many of which I consider pretty much obligatory, especially since the unmodded game is rather lacking in the gameplay department. I can't imagine being unable to use them.

I'm also lucky enough to own a system that can play the game at full wack, and I've even manually tweaked the .ini to make it look even more stunning (e.g. increased viewing distances); if I were using the 360 or PS3 version of the game, I'd be stuck with the exact same graphics for all eternity.

baronofhell said:

Someone mentioned only Halo 3 and Mass Effect being the lone 360 exclusives this year, what about CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN??!! Yeah I know, it's also going to be available for the PC of course, but console wise, it's a 360 exclusive.

Isn't Banjo-Threeie coming out this year? Bioshock would also be considered a 360 exclusive since it's the only console that game will be on.

Why does the PC get disqualified when deciding whether a game is a 360 exclusive?

Put it another way, that's like saying Halo 2 is a PC exclusive, because that's the only computer it's available for.

Bungleist said:

Why does the PC get disqualified when deciding whether a game is a 360 exclusive?

Put it another way, that's like saying Halo 2 is a PC exclusive, because that's the only computer it's available for.

I don't think people use the term "PC exclusive." After all, a PC can emulate game consoles and play everything. :P

Bungleist said:

Wouldn't make more sense to say that Halo2 is a Windows exclusive?

Scuba Steve said:

but I do get the impression violently swinging the controllers might become a real chore.

You don't need to do that though. Like they say, "It's all in the wrist."

Bungleist said:

Personally speaking, if a game is on the PC and a console I own, I'll always go with the PC version. There are several reasons for this; from most to least important, these are:

- The game is probably better suited to keyboard + mouse than a gamepad (especially in the case of FPS' and strategy games).
- The console version can't run 3rd party mods.
- The PC version costs less money (typically $10 less).
- The PC version looks better at maximum graphical settings (okay so your PC may not be able to do that *now*, but most likely you'll eventually have a system capable of doing so).

Resident Evil 4 anyone?

Well, I've no idea how RE4 plays with keyboard + mouse, but it does indeed cost less on the PC, and I have been told it looks better than the Gamecube version at full settings (EDIT: though I've also heard something about lighting and shader effects being absent in the PC version).

However, I should have perhaps said "if a game is currently available for the PC and a console I own", since having to wait several years for the PC version to be released does tend to outweigh most of those advantages ;). I own the Gamecube version of the game, though at the time I bought it the PC version hadn't even been announced.

RE4 doesn't have mouse support.

Also for reference here are two shots of RE4. Top is PC, bottom is GC. If you think the PC looks better then you need your eyes checked.

I think the PC screenshot looks much better because it has a sharper picture. This is also why I preferred the PC version of Star Wars Battlefront over the xbox version, though it seems I'm the only person in my group of friends who doesn't like blurry graphics...

Bungleist said:

I have been told it looks better than the Gamecube version at full settings

Seems like it isn't me who needs his eyes checked...

And yes, I agree with MR that the PC version at least looks less blurry (compare the hair, for example).

I don't really see how what you underlined has anything to do with what I was saying. Whatever, I am not interested in this.

#1 viewed on ytmnd right now: http://ps328dayslater.ytmnd.com/

The PS3 wouldn't be bad if the Blu-Ray player was cut and the price was slimmed down a few hundred. It's not that its a bad system, it's that it isn't worth $200-300 more than the other current gen systems. Also, the lack of vibration probably would bother me a bit.. why couldn't they just pay the stupid company to keep the DualShock crap?? bleh

Also, speaking of the bluray/hddvd war, I think it would be so cool if an opensource format was created. It would cost nothing for media companies to use, it would cost nothing for media player companies to use, and it would be a community built standard. The only catch is the whole encryption thing, but if this were done, that could be overlooked, especially since DVD encryption was cracked a while ago and is now useless, and Bluray and HDDVD encryption was cracked and is also now useless, even before the two got mainstream acceptance.

insertwackynamehere said:

#1 viewed on ytmnd right now: http://ps328dayslater.ytmnd.com/

Also, the lack of vibration probably would bother me a bit.. why couldn't they just pay the stupid company to keep the DualShock crap?? bleh

Sony recently kissed and made up with Immersion over the whole vibration thing, so it could make an appearance again.

Csonicgo said:

Or that Sony Viao that I bought that had no SSE support ( it was intentionally blocked), had heating issues, and where the battery lasted 15 minutes Brand new?

I may add a Vaio Notebook to the pile.
The Mobile Radeon in there might be fast, but it crashes the system.
Windows goes down when playing some 3D game for 2 hours and Linux just crashes to BIOS (reboots).
New graphic card drivers that could fix this issue? No chance, ATI dosnt support the used chip and Sony wont update their drivers.

No way i will buy a Sony notebook next time.
I can, however, recommend the Aspire series von Acer.
Cheap price and reliable. :)

Dr. Zin said:

What?

Huh?

I meant quality can refer to the level of craftsmanship, superior performance, and level of features, and not just the ability to resist decay and malfunctioning.

All fanboys are too stupid to live, I think you'd find a similar level of idiocy with the Nintendo and MS crowd. It's really sad that people have put so much faith in a company even though the companies only job is to make money off them.

Um... why?
I am quite happy with my 17" 16:9 TFT and allmost full size keyboard for ~700 Euro.
The people at Das-Labor in Bochum where i frequent always say i have a desktop with builtin USV.... *g*

They sell Acer PC's in Tesco, that ought to say it all...

Then again my Time computer i got from there (this being the old Time who where on Watchdog all the time) worked for 7 years before it finally gave up (today).

As for the PS3, Wake me up when GTA4 is out, or when Getaway 3 is, on the off chance it will actually be any good. If it isn't i may go for a 360 to get the downloadable stuff anyway

Hmm, some twat in Britian somewhere changed his name to Playstation, and then Playstation 2 when that came out, wonder if he did it again?

No one wants the fucking thing. even I don't. Not even my friends. It's like the Susan B. Anthony dollar of the nextgen consoles. The only thing it did to impress me was to help with F@H research. other than that, it's fail-in-a-box.

Hobbs said:

RE4 doesn't have mouse support.

Also for reference here are two shots of RE4. Top is PC, bottom is GC. If you think the PC looks better then you need your eyes checked.

Yes the GC screens look better. They are darker, smoother etc. The PC version is too bright and detailed. Makes it look kinda messy.

Also what kind of game company releases a game like that without mouse support? What kind of game company releases any game for the PC without mouse support? If that was overlooked I'm not surprised they did a shit job on the graphics as well.